felony record am i allowed to cruise?

As far as draft dodgers go, Canada in the day had no way to determine if young male visitors from the USA would eventually be conscripted or not. They were applying to immigrate, and went through the normal channels to become Canadian citizens.

Yea right... Canada had no idea that single 18 year old males with no education, job or relatives in Canada suddenly wanted to immigrate.

Yea right... Canada had no idea that single 18 year old males with no education, job or relatives in Canada suddenly wanted to immigrate.

Single, 18 year old males are exactly the kind of immigrant a country wants. These were mostly upper middle class and well educated, which is how they immigrated in the first place.

None had been drafted yet, so why would Canada care ?

Anyways, this is Cruise Critic, not Canada Critic.

Peace:)

Canada takes it one step further. An American could have a misdemeanor DUI conviction here in the states, but Canada considers it to be a felony.

True...Canada does not have 'misdemeanor' or 'felony' in our justice system.

In order for Canadians to leave with a criminal record or Americans to enter with a criminal record, they would need to apply for & receive a Pardon.

Anyone with a sexual conviction on their record is not eligible for a Pardon; but summary convictions (ie: causing a disturbance, harrassing phone calls) are available after 5yrs & indictable convictions after 10yrs (ie: driving while disqualified, theft, fraud, mischief...etc). Then there's: 5mths for withdrawn, dismissed or aquitted charges, 1yr for absolute discharges, stayed charges & most peace bonds, 3yrs for conditional discharges. I can't remember how much it costs or how long it takes (haven't worked in the police service for a while so it may have changed anyway), but there is a way to leave the country if you're Canadian.

Later we did learn there there is an expiration period (10 years?) on DUIs and also a way to pay a fee for an entry permit after a lesser period of time with a clean record. Same might be true for other non-violent felonies. One of the people was three months short of the expiration.

Once Canada has the record, the are under no obligation to respect a foreign pardon or "expiry". It isn't a simple process once you've been denied entry.

Once Canada has the record, the are under no obligation to respect a foreign pardon or "expiry". It isn't a simple process once you've been denied entry.

True...once you've been denied entry once, for whatever reason, subsequent border officers see that denial and are more apt to do the same, or at least question you further.

When I was a young adult, I was turned around at the US border because I had only $10 in my pocket and no credit card. (we were just heading to the beach) It took several years after that before they stopped giving me special attention when I crossed.

Using that logic, you could argue that the US should deny entry to young Asian women as they might be coming here to work in "massage parlors".

Canada takes it one step further. An American could have a misdemeanor DUI conviction here in the states, but Canada considers it to be a felony.
Canada doesn't consider a misdemeanor DUI to be a felony, but it does put you into what they call "Inadmissable Status". The Inadmissable Status group includes persons convicted of felonies, but it also includes persons convicted of many various misdemeanors, including misdemeanor DUI.

Really, if you've been convicted of anything more serious than a simple traffic charge, you should probably check into it before attempting to enter Canada.

Edited by Mark_K

I agree, don't try to do a Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver or try to get into Canada. I know because someone I know tried to take their RV into Canada and were not able to do so for just that reason. Other than that I am not sure about Europe. But the Caribbean is amazing place to travel too and their are no worries about cruising there.

Have a great cruise!

I don't think they do background checks. They do send your info to the government but I think that is more for a check for terrorists:eek: or immigration status. Don't try to get into Canada though. I have heard even folks with a DUI can't go to Canada.

Also for Canadian's don't try an Alaskan cruise leaving from Vancouver.

It is a 2 way street. The United States doesn't want our criminals and we don't want theirs. We have enough of our own.

I have a drug related felony from 20 years ago but i have cruised with RC before.

I was on the online chat with a rep that told me that as long as it is not a person to person crime such as assault, i will not be denied boarding based solely upon my past criminal history.

It was something stupid i did and have never been in trouble since. I am 42 years old.

I mentioned that i have cruised with them before, but the policy was updated since i traveled last with them in 2004.

She also stated that they cannot say 100% that anyone will not get denied boarding.

I tried to find there policy on this online, but can't seem to get a straight answer.

Can anyone possibly help or direct me to where i can find more info?

Thanks!

RR:(

Don't worry, my husband also has a felony on his record. He did two years back in 1972 for "unauthorized use of a motor vehicle." Wrong crowd=Stupid decisions. It's never been an issue on our cruises. :cool:

How would anyone know if you were convicted of a felony? I never have, but I have cruised to and drove into Canada and never asked anywhere or by anyone about felonies.

For Canada, it most definitely is a legal issue. They won't admit you if you have felony convictions.

Just an general FYI for anyone who might have something but think Canada won't find it. That may have been true in the past, but now Canada border agents have access to US criminal databases and can check US law enforcement sources real time and they routinely do.

Do you know when they started having access to US criminal databases?

How would anyone know if you were convicted of a felony? I never have, but I have cruised to and drove into Canada and never asked anywhere or by anyone about felonies.

They might ask they might not (lying and being caught is worse than giving the honest answer) but they don't need to ask between Canada-USA as they have an agreement linking databases, which depending upon how well the various states/provinces and federal agencies keep the systems updated and linked, will pop-up things automagically when (and if) they scan your passport.

I have a drug related felony from 20 years ago but i have cruised with RC before.

I was on the online chat with a rep that told me that as long as it is not a person to person crime such as assault, i will not be denied boarding based solely upon my past criminal history.

It was something stupid i did and have never been in trouble since. I am 42 years old.

I mentioned that i have cruised with them before, but the policy was updated since i traveled last with them in 2004.

She also stated that they cannot say 100% that anyone will not get denied boarding.

I tried to find there policy on this online, but can't seem to get a straight answer.

Can anyone possibly help or direct me to where i can find more info?

Thanks!

RR:(

I have been in your shoes in a way. Below is my story about Canadian Customs.

Well first a background. While in the US Military I did something stupid in late 1999 that I did in Overseas. I was under investigation from the Military CID for over a year and half. After such I was NEVER CHARGED with a crime. I was only discharged from the Military with an Other Than Honorable discharge in early 2001.

Well I take a Family Vacation to Alaska in Aug 2009 with my first ever cruise that ended in Vancouver, Canada. Note that I had a great vacation except for the Debarkation day in Canada.

We got of the Ryndam and proceeded through Customs. My Family made it with no problem. When I handed over my Passport, I was asked to do some more screening. They went through all of my bags and my photos on my camera. Then I had to wait a couple of hours to talk to an agent. The proplem was about the Criminal Charge the Military had on my record that I was NEVER was tried for. This was a very difficult time for me. This is also very difficult for me as I type it now.

Well they did end up letting me in but it took 2-3 hours to get in the country. I enjoyed the rest of the vacation and took an early shuttle back to the Airport just in case I had problems getting back in the U.S. I had no problems comming home.

Well sorry for being long winded here. I feel that my story is relevent to the thread. If the Moderators feel that it wasnt feel free to delete this post.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Ewok, if I recall correctly it was about 5-7 years ago.

###

I ask because I had no trouble going to Vancouver on business in June 2008. Two weeks ago, going to Vancouver to board the Radiance, I had to go through an additional interview. When I eventually talked to an agent, she asked about some trouble their database said I was in, in 1986. I convinced her that it was mistaken identity, but I wonder where this bogus record came from. I'd rather not have to do that every time I go to Canada.

I ask because I had no trouble going to Vancouver on business in June 2008. Two weeks ago, going to Vancouver to board the Radiance, I had to go through an additional interview. When I eventually talked to an agent, she asked about some trouble their database said I was in, in 1986. I convinced her that it was mistaken identity, but I wonder where this bogus record came from. I'd rather not have to do that every time I go to Canada.

Don't know when they started, but I know they've had access in Vancouver and done the routine checks for at least a couple of years.

They don't have to ask you and typically don't. They have direct access to the US FBI criminal database and just look it up.