felony record am i allowed to cruise?

I have a drug related felony from 20 years ago but i have cruised with RC before.

I was on the online chat with a rep that told me that as long as it is not a person to person crime such as assault, i will not be denied boarding based solely upon my past criminal history.

It was something stupid i did and have never been in trouble since. I am 42 years old.

I mentioned that i have cruised with them before, but the policy was updated since i traveled last with them in 2004.

She also stated that they cannot say 100% that anyone will not get denied boarding.

I tried to find there policy on this online, but can't seem to get a straight answer.

Can anyone possibly help or direct me to where i can find more info?

Thanks!

RR:(

I have a drug related felony from 20 years ago but i have cruised with RC before.

I was on the online chat with a rep that told me that as long as it is not a person to person crime such as assault, i will not be denied boarding based solely upon my past criminal history.

It was something stupid i did and have never been in trouble since. I am 42 years old.

I mentioned that i have cruised with them before, but the policy was updated since i traveled last with them in 2004.

She also stated that they cannot say 100% that anyone will not get denied boarding.

I tried to find there policy on this online, but can't seem to get a straight answer.

Can anyone possibly help or direct me to where i can find more info?

Thanks!

RR:(

As long as you are not cruising to Canada you will be fine. They wont even know about it.

It shouldn't be an issue. I recently cruised with a convicted felon (drug related) over a very stupid mistake he made. He was nervous about being denied boarding, but all was well. His conviction was 6 years ago. The check-in agent told him to "be good" - we aren't sure if there was a note or if she was just making small talk.

How would RCI know about your felony conviction?

edit: do they ask on a form somewhere?

I assume OP initiated the conversation with a CSR.

OP, get advice from a lawyer. To be honest, a public discussion board is the last place I would take advice concerning a legal matter such as this.

It shouldn't be an issue. I recently cruised with a convicted felon (drug related) over a very stupid mistake he made. He was nervous about being denied boarding, but all was well. His conviction was 6 years ago. The check-in agent told him to "be good" - we aren't sure if there was a note or if she was just making small talk.

Small talk probably :) I could be wrong but I doubt they pull a criminal record check on every passenger.

If the OP is by chance cruising to Canada though, they can just about forget it no matter how long ago the charge was. Ive heard of people being denied entry over a single DUI

Edited by ryano

OP, get advice from a lawyer. To be honest, a public discussion board is the last place I would take advice concerning a legal matter such as this.

It's not really a legal issue, but rather a policy issue, isn't it?

I don't think they do background checks. They do send your info to the government but I think that is more for a check for terrorists:eek: or immigration status. Don't try to get into Canada though. I have heard even folks with a DUI can't go to Canada.

yes i believe its a policy issue; do you know where i can find this?

maybe i was stupid but i contacted RC because i was worried about being allowed in bermuda and wanted to know if i needed a visa as well, so i told them about the record.

i did print my chat session with the RC rep if this will help me later on

i have traveled alot overseas and went to ireland and mexico last year but it wasn't a cruise

Well then that means you have a Passport so yes, you can most certainly go on a cruise. As long as its not to Canada.

Im no lawyer but I will put a months pay on the answer being yes.

I agree, don't try to do a Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver or try to get into Canada. I know because someone I know tried to take their RV into Canada and were not able to do so for just that reason. Other than that I am not sure about Europe. But the Caribbean is amazing place to travel too and their are no worries about cruising there.

Edited by Mmketeer

With Homeland Security checks run on all of us before we board they know exactly who has what skeletons in the closet. Be more concerned about having an outstanding warrant because you might get to board, but the local authorities will take you off the ship on the return. About 2 cruises ago someone with a warrant for burglary went cruising and the police took him off in handcuffs at 7am on our return to Galveston. They called him down to Guest Services as if there was a problem with the bill. We happened to be standing there and heard what the cops said when they took him into custody. His mother tried to interfere and got arrested too.

However, as other have said if you plan to cruise Alaska and have to enter Canada or want to do a fall foliage cruise that stops in Canada forget it if you have a conviction. They have a very strict policy. DS and family went to Niagra Falls over Easter and he was held up at the border while they ran a check on him and his wife. The officer came back to the car and told them their records were clean and they were free to enjoy their visit to Canada.

Ive heard of people being denied entry over a single DUI

Funny/Sad thing happened on a company sponsored fishing trip into Canada. We were traveling in company Winnebago and at the border after turning in all our passports the Canadian border agents came aboard and asked for four of our people by name. Said they had to come into the building. No explanation.

When they returned to the "bus" (as we call it) they said they could not enter Canada due to DUIs on record. Canada considers that a felony and barrs entry for felons. We had to turn around. Fortunately this was at Lake of the Woods and our destination was an island barely on the U.S. side. So the four had to take a long boat ride from Warroad and the rest of us a shorter one after passing through a bit of Canada. Those four were restricted to fishing in U.S. waters because the border people made it very clear if they came over the border they would be arrested and jailed. Needless to say they were all very embarrased about being "revealed".

Later we did learn there there is an expiration period (10 years?) on DUIs and also a way to pay a fee for an entry permit after a lesser period of time with a clean record. Same might be true for other non-violent felonies. One of the people was three months short of the expiration.

Edited by Sequim88

Small talk probably :) I could be wrong but I doubt they pull a criminal record check on every passenger.

If the OP is by chance cruising to Canada though, they can just about forget it no matter how long ago the charge was. Ive heard of people being denied entry over a single DUI

I agree about Canada - definitely a no-no there.

If you are legally allowed to obtain a passport and have no travel restrictions, then the advice of an attorney may not be needed. Personally, I would check directly with the country(ies) I was visiting. The laws vary.

It's not really a legal issue, but rather a policy issue, isn't it?

It's a legal issue. Homeland Security receives the passenger manifest 48(?) hours before sailing.

For Canada, it most definitely is a legal issue. They won't admit you if you have felony convictions.

Just an general FYI for anyone who might have something but think Canada won't find it. That may have been true in the past, but now Canada border agents have access to US criminal databases and can check US law enforcement sources real time and they routinely do.

For Canada, it most definitely is a legal issue. They won't admit you if you have felony convictions.

Just an general FYI for anyone who might have something but think Canada won't find it. That may have been true in the past, but now Canada border agents have access to US criminal databases and can check US law enforcement sources real time and they routinely do.

You also can not enter into the US from Canada if you have a felony ( Drug Charge ). I have a friend that had this charge over 30 years ago and he can not cross over .

Edited by Nigeldelarue

Sounds like Canada must have some wierd policies. If I remember correctly from my youth they allowed draft dodgers to stay in Canada during the Vietnam war but now they don't let people with DUI's enter the country. :confused:

So out of curiosity, what happens to a Canadian if they are convicted of a felony? They aren't allowed to leave??

That makes no sense though, you can't enter if you are one and you can't leave if you are one:confused:

So out of curiosity, what happens to a Canadian if they are convicted of a felony? They aren't allowed to leave??

That makes no sense though, you can't enter if you are one and you can't leave if you are one:confused:

I don't know where all the confusion is.

A US citizen with a felony conviction can't enter Canada, a Canadian with a felony conviction can't enter the USA.

Sounds like Canada must have some wierd policies. If I remember correctly from my youth they allowed draft dodgers to stay in Canada during the Vietnam war but now they don't let people with DUI's enter the country. :confused:

Nothing wierd about the policy, the USA doesn't allow convicted Canadians to enter either.

As far as draft dodgers go, Canada in the day had no way to determine if young male visitors from the USA would eventually be conscripted or not. They were applying to immigrate, and went through the normal channels to become Canadian citizens. Deserters, on the other hand, were rounded up and sent back.