Help Carnival Sign and Sail probelm

TNJR

My wife is currently on the Miracle. She was told this evening that her visa had been declined. She checked her sign and sail account. The total is fine and well below her credit limit. When I checked her visa account online, Carnival has been charging her card every day. The kicker is, they have been charging each days running total each day. So her card is way overcharged. Before she realized what was happening, the pursor's desk told her they were having a lot of credit card issues this cruise. Anyone have this happen. I am hoping Carnival will clear this up so she can continue using this visa. She does not want to use her debit as a backup.

Yes, they put a temporary hold on the card each day. It is not an actual charge however it does reduce the card balance until it clears in around 5 or so days. The final charge is submitted at the end of the cruise. So if you are close to balance, the final charge can be denied.

Dave

I think what the OP is saying is that they are re-charging her everyday. For example:

she spends $100 day 1 is charged $100 day 1

she spends $25 day 2 is charged $125 day 2

she spends $75 day 3 is charged $300 day 3

so she actually spent $200

but is being charged $525

So the computer isn't adjusting the previous charges. It just keeps re-charging and adding.

Am I right OP ?

If not carry on with the previous scheduled programming.

I was a little confused at first too.. but I assumed you meant it exactly the way Mamaskittles explained it. I would hope the purser's desk could and should figure it out for her. Hope it all works out sooner rather than later.

Sorry, I was not clear, but Mamaskittles has it right. The account went from:

$100 day one

$240 day two

$400 day three

$550 day four

For a total of $1,290. Actual charge is $550. So, by the end of the cruise the total could be $3K. But the limit has been reached. Carnival says they can't help. So she has switched to the debit card.

$100 day one

$240 day two

$400 day three

$550 day four

For a total of $1,290. Actual charge is $550. So, by the end of the cruise the total could be $3K. But the limit has been reached. Carnival says they can't help. So she has switched to the debit card.

I have had a problem with a merchant putting erroneous holds on my cc thus tying up available credit. Carnival should be able to call and have the erroneous holds released immediately - whether Carnival will call or not is another story.

$100 day one

$240 day two

$400 day three

$550 day four

That is ridiculous, so Carnival could be placing total holds of potentially "10x" the actual amount they will ultimately be paid by the CC company. And how many customers will simply STOP spending (early on) because of this screw-up? A bit stupid if you ask me (YES Carnival, I said STUPID).

Yikes! I am definitely not using my cc for sign and sail! I will do cash. You can do cash right?

We used cash on our only cruise and will do it again on our next one. No holds, no credit card bill BUT a little more hassle. I carried the budget on board in cash and made a deposit every day or two to keep enough money to cover our anticipated expenses available on the sign and sail card.

I did have to check the receipts daily against their tally but that is what I would do anyway...I balance my checkbook each day because it is so simple now!!

Holds are a problem--it happened to us in Vegas when a hotel triple held the amount for the room charges. They can make the mistake in a second but they don't help too much in getting it fixed... It is annoying even if the card has lots of room on it for the charges.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Archived