tentative land tour

midwife56

I am trying to pull this together in a short time. I appreciate everyone's encouragement and help. This is what I am thinking. We arrive in Anchorage the 23rd and will rent a car for one way to Whittier (Harleys rentals specializes in one way, still pricey but cheaper than major rental co). Spend the 23, 24 in Anchorage. Drive to Talkeena on the 25th spend the night there. Drive to Denali and spend 2 nights. On the 28th drive to Seward, spend the night. Next day, drive to Whittier and board ship. My dilemma was whether or not to spend the extra day in Anchorage or Seward. As always, all opinions are welcome. Thanks:D :D :D

I do not recommend driving Denali Park/Seward in a single day. You are looking at 9 hours with brief stops. Instead, I suggest you drive from Anchorage to Denali park, 2 nights, then, 1 night in Talkeetna, then to Seward. Makes much better use of your time and splits up the driving much better. You need the extra day in Seward, you really aren't allowing enough time with a late arrival and probably by mid afternoon departure?? Strongly recommended is the Kenai fjords boat tours- just a tour not to be missed. :) You will need to allow at least 2 hours for the drive to Whittier, verify the drop off hours.

You are already having a couple of nights in Anchorage. If you are going to drive from Talkeetna (or Denali) you are not going to get to Seward until fairly late in the day. I'd opt for the extra night in Seward there is plenty to see and do there. We had a whole day (and night) there but would have loved more time.....next time perhaps

Oh, I know....you could do what I did: spend the extra night in Willow. That's about an hour "north" of Anchorage, towards Denali. You'd have to shuffle your schedule around a little bit, though, but it lets you break up your drive in pieces. What's in Willow: nothing. Absolutely nothing. It's wonderful. You can hike, bike, boat fish.... Or just sit around and bird-watch.

I stayed in Gigglewood B&B (http://www.gigglewood.com), and they had free bikes & boats, and a semi-private lake in the back. They were a 20-minute drive on dirt roads off the highway, if that gives you an idea. In the general area there were other lakes, trails, fishing, and Hatcher Pass.

Archived