Cunard Captains

Cunard Cruiser

I am very digusted, but not surprised about the “transfers” of both Wright and McNaught. Just another demeaning way of Princess/Carnival to clean the house of Cunard. I have sailed with both Captains many times and they are a true sense of the definition of what British officers are and should be. I’m sure they will be a replaced by inadequate Princess puppets and I am sure the Princess Captains have plenty of experience in North Atlantic Force 7’s or greater. NOT!!

I am glad I was able to sail with McNaught on QE2’s Christmas cruise, 2004. I appreciated his friendliness, making the effort to surprise with a Stop at St. Lucia to watch the Sunset and his professionalism when the power went out on January 1st. But most of all is true love of the QE2.

Hi

I read this on Yahoo group that I belong to. I did a copy and paste of the text which follows:

Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 18:04:25 -0000Subject: Changes on QM2 "Learned on current QM2 Trans Atlantic - Paul Wright withdrawn from Cunard service & transferred to Princess, ship unknown, return to Cunard hoped for but uncertain. Dome over Boardwalk Cafe cancelled as extra weight, hence draught would have meant ship unable to leave Hamburg once fitted. QV will be 'quite fast for a cruise ship' 'capable of doing Trans Atlantics'. QM2 2007 World Cruise being planned but not yet confirmed. Full report on voyage to follow post landfall."

I was on the Xmas cruise, too! I agree that McNaught handled it very well and did not mince words and/or make a big "ta-doo" over the power loss or the passengers who over-reacted.

I was in the Yacht Club when the power was lost and I had to make my way back to my cabin semi-forward on Two Deck (2054). I could not believe the number of people I saw in LIFE-JACKETS & pajamas standing outside their doors or on the stairwells!

Michael

Michael

For those passengers who overreacted did not surprise me, especially after Sept 11th and what happened to the U.S. Cole couple of years before. You just don’t know today. I was concerned not about the ship’s capabilities, I was concerned about what could be done to the ship. Only six months before the Southampton Daily Echo reported on a plot to blow up the QE2 when she arrived in Cape Town on her 2004 World Cruise was foiled. Several men were arrested.

Think about it we were on the most famous ship in the world, during the early hours of New Year’s Day which day is always a security concern around the world.

Still the Capitan handle everything perfectly!!

sorry. I didn't take the right post. Here it is............

Message: 3 Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 11:38:50 -0700 (PDT)Subject: Re: Changes on QM2 "Captain Wright and Captain McNaught have been withdrawn from Cunard service. Very sad, indeed. Captain Wright was with the QUEEN MARY from her birth at St. Nazaire and Captain McNaught was with Cunard for years and had as his career goal to be Captain of the QE2. He loved that ship and it is very sad that people with such strong connections to the ships, crew and passengers are being "withdrawn". Very sad." Rich in Sacramento

I agree that this is a sad loss! I was also on the Xmas Cruise on the QE2 with Captain McNaught and agree he handled all situations very well. Being a younger cruiser, I felt he also made an effort with people my age, always smiling and being very friendly at the captain's cocktail party. It's a huge shame and I'm sure the crew would agree too.. I spoke to many young crew who spoke of him very highly.

We sat at Andrea's table and I remember you and your sister always chatting with her. I know all you had guys tons of fun. Made me remember of my good old days when I use to sneak down to the pig with my crew friends. She told us you wanted to join the ship. My friend uses to be the trainer for the Academy and trained the QM2 crew. It is very hard work, but if you get through it will be worth it and great for the CV!!

ah good stuff! Yeah that was me! We did have a laugh! Spose she told you of the Christmas Eve shenanigans then, when we were down the pig?! was soo scary! got chucked out by security! Andrea's a laugh tho... were u at the table where there was a bday one of the first nights? What did you think of her service? we only had her when she was assistant waitress.

Yes that was me with the B.day. I was suprised. I thought I could get away with no b.day cake and singing. Andrea's service was just fab. Really good. Yes I heard bits about Xmas eve. Did u ever meet her friend Gregory who is an ARM? He is so fab!! Had great time with him and my best friend on our overnights in Bermuda.

No i don't think I met Gregory! That's a shame! Maybe if I get on at the end of the year I will! :)

We met her friend Phil though, caused a couple of arguments between him and his girlfriend I think! :confused:

She's back here at the mo, not sure when she's back on the ship. She said she'll come and visit when I start the White Star course cos its close to where she lives.

Were you on it longer than just the Xmas cruise then?

My dad had a birthday on the Summer Cruise and had all the cake and singing! Quite embarrassing, but a good laugh all the same.

It's really sad but I actually miss the ship so much! But its the same when I talk to all the friends I met on there! We're all the same sorta age 16-20 and we all thought being on the QE2 was the best weeks of our life!

No. I was on from NY to NY. I wish I did the World Cruise!! Next time you see or here from Andrea send her a big Hello for me. I miss QE2 also. The Xmas cruise was our 34th on her and hopefully not our last. I don't fly so this year I get stuuck with QM2. Have mix feelings about that cruise. I hope QE2 comes back here to the states in 2006!!

Who shall I say 'hello' from? What will she remember you by? I wil def do that tho.

I keep pestering my parents to book the QE2 again, but its not working as yet! I'll just have to wait till xmas to join as crew, even though it'll be a very different experience! I hope I get on the QE2 though. Haven't been on the QM2 to compare it with, but would prefer the QE2 I think.

Just heard from a friend of mine who got off the QM2 today about the shake up in Captains. Paul Wright is just fabulous. I have only sailed with him once but I really enjoyed it. He has had a few tribulations while at the helm and handled them all wonderfully. I do not know Capt. McNaught but I know people who have sailed with him and I hear he is great also.

These gentlemen, as well as Cmdr. Warwick, Capt. Nick Bates are the type of guys you want at the helm of the worlds most famous ocean liners. DOes Princess have British Captains?

This is really too bad. I find Capts. McNaught and Wright to be the perfect men for Cunard. I will miss Capt. McNaught when/if I go on the Jan. Crossing!

I started a thread in the Princess forum to see if there has been any word on the street over there....check it out: -->http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=173657

Maybe from the other end of the spectrum, we can gain some info about who will replace the two men.

Any word on who will be at the helm when we take our first QM2 and Cunard cruise this summer? I have so enjoyed reading about Captain Wright on these boards! It just doesn't make sense to remove these "legends." I wonder if Princess is in trouble and they hope to improve their image by "stealing" Cunard captains!

I was so hoping to cruise with a "legend" at the helm! I guess that could still happen.

Ciao, "Legends!"

Not that suprised to see Cunard captain's transfered to Princesss. The captain on the Zuiderdam last Oct was John Scott, at one time a Chief Office on the QE2, then after a stint with Crystal went to work for HAL. I guess Carnival Corp that determined that if you can move ships between their cruise lines you can do the same with Captains. IMHO a bad move, one more way to dilute the differences between the different cruise lines.

I posted a long-winded reply to QueensFan over on the Princess board. I have sailed both QE2 (under Commodore (then Captain) Ron Warwick) and on three Princess cruises (two ships, three different British captains (Nick Carlton, Chris Rynd, Nick Nash)). As a graduate of a maritime academy here in the states, I found both Cunard and Princess to be very well-run (from a marine operations perspective). Although Princess may appear to be a "demotion" (yes, nothing can compare with the Queens), their marine operations have been a part of P&O (and top-notch) since 1974. (P&O has been around slightly longer than Cunard). The Cunarders will be fortuante to have the benefit of some great P&O/Princess captains, and Princess will likewise benefit from Captains Wright and McNaught.

sorry. I didn't take the right post. Here it is............

Message: 3 Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 11:38:50 -0700 (PDT)Subject: Re: Changes on QM2 "Captain Wright and Captain McNaught have been withdrawn from Cunard service. Very sad, indeed. Captain Wright was with the QUEEN MARY from her birth at St. Nazaire and Captain McNaught was with Cunard for years and had as his career goal to be Captain of the QE2. He loved that ship and it is very sad that people with such strong connections to the ships, crew and passengers are being "withdrawn". Very sad." Rich in Sacramento

Where did this "quote" come from. Let me know asap.

Richard

Are you sure that this transfer is a demotion? In the corporate world, staff moving up the ladder are often transferred to "lesser" companies to familiarize them with many areas of the corporation. Perhaps he's being primed to move to an eventual higher position within the corporation.:confused:

Archived