Freaking Out Over Private Tour

Cinders411

Last year the Inspiration never made it to Grand Cayman due to a medical emergency onboard. Due to that situation we had to head for Cozumel a day early and then ended up going to Purta Maya. We have booked same cruise again this Oct but, different ship and I am very much wanting to see the sting rays this time around. I do not relish the thought of being crowded onto a bus with 30-40 other passingers on a tour through Carnival. I want to do a private tour but, with the ship leaving port at 3:00 I guess I am apprehesive about it. I have never done a private tour before. Has anyone had any issues with close calls making it back to the ship? There are so many private tours that I am not sure who to chose. Can anyone tell me which tour company you feel has the most dependable reputation?

Cinders - Definitely do an independent it such a better experience. There are a number of really good operators mentioned on this board. I have done Nativeway, Stingraysailing, Buccaneer and a couple that don't stick in my mind. I loved Stingraysailing as they did not pull the rays out of the water and seemed more environmentally friendly. All the reputable tour operators will get you back in time. Have a wonderful time!

We went with Captain Marvin's last year and it was really good, but we were with a lot of people. This past cruise, we went with NativeWay. It was amazing! There were only 8 of us on this tour. We had plenty of time to go see the stingrays, snorkel and go to Rum Point for lunch. I would highly recommend Nativeway!!!

We went with Captain Marvin's last year and it was really good, but we were with a lot of people. This past cruise, we went with NativeWay. It was amazing! There were only 8 of us on this tour. We had plenty of time to go see the stingrays, snorkel and go to Rum Point for lunch. I would highly recommend Nativeway!!!

I agree, we used Nativeway and like this poster said, there were only 6 of us in our group...very personalized, and he kept us away from the hoards. That being said, the rays go where the food is, so whoever has the most squid to offer, that is where the rays will be! Enjoy and have a blast! One of the best excursions we have ever done!:)

We used Nativeways for our cruise this past April when we were on FOS. We were waiting on a Carnival ship to arrive and it was late. The owner came and picked us up because she did not want us to miss out on our whole tour just because another group was late arriving. We had a private tour, just the two of us, they really went out of their way to make sure our experience was the best! They are very good at getting you back to your ship on time as well.

I posted this in another thread, but it is also appropriate here.

You can't go wrong with Chip and Michelle because they run a top-notch operation. I can't remember where I learned about Stingray Sailing (here or Trip Advisor probably), but no matter, I'm just so grateful I did.

I booked an afternoon excursion for January 24 because Voyager was scheduled for a late arrival. When Michelle greeted us at Watley, she said my husband and I would have the catamaran to ourselves, as all of her other bookings had taken the morning excursion.

All of the cruise charters were filled to overflowing, while the Far Tortuga carried just my husband and me. We had lots of time with the stingrays, and lots of personal attention from Chip. Pretty darn cool!

Chip was born and raised in the Caymans, and he and Michelle are now raising their family there. You couldn't find a better skipper or more knowledgeable guide.

Highly recommend Stingray Sailing.

Archived