Impressions from the first Alaskan sailing of the Jewel

ute_fan

I did bring back the freestyle dailies and will try and get them scanned and posted over the weekend. Unfortunately, I also brought back a nasty cough with me that's kicked my rear end into bed every night by about 9. That's put a damper on uploading pictures and those dailies...:(

The last few years haven't been good as far as the ships getting into Tracy Arm. You might want to wait a while, and see what the reports are this year before making your decision to cancel. If the ships are having good success getting to Tracy Arm, it would be worth keeping. If most of the ships are diverted, you can always cancel closer to sailing.

this is not accurate, most ships do sail Tracy Arm. Especially after begining June, it is rare for any Endicott Arm transits. What is rare is the viewing access of the Sawyer's glaciers. On average only about 25% of the cruiseships, get within view.

I don't WANT to cancel, but in a previous post it sounded like if you go into Endicott there's no real advantage to being in the smaller boat. Also sounds like that's not really true, so we'll stick with the excursion.

I've been to both fjords but nobody else in my family has. I agree, Tracy Arm is much more scenic.

The sailing of Endicott Arm is very common in May, but far less so, after begining of June. NCL goes to Endicott probably more than any other cruiseline has done in the past.

The tour does have a disclosure that you are not entitled to any refunds if they do change, after a certain time and date- that is way before the decision is even made, where they are going.

Thanks for the clarification, Budget Queen. Out of curiosity, if the cruise ship goes to Tracy Arm but can't view the glacier, is it common that the small boat tour still gets within glacier View?

Thanks for the clarification, Budget Queen. Out of curiosity, if the cruise ship goes to Tracy Arm but can't view the glacier, is it common that the small boat tour still gets within glacier View?

Yes, very common and a significant reason to take it. I find it "necessary" to budget and include these boat tours of Tracy Arm. Grossly superior to the cruiseship transit.

Hi all :)

We were on the trip from New York all the way through. We took the small boat into Endicott Arm. Holland America was ahead of us and radioed that they couldn't get into Tracy and therefore our Captain Idar made the wise decision to do Endicott. Black bear and eagles and seals were spotted as were 2.5 calvings.

Additionally, for those who stayed on the Jewel, grizzlies were spotted after we had passed by.

Though my mate was "unhappy" (for lack of a better word) at the 4 hour boat ride, I was fascinated with the scenery, the floating icebergs, and the calving (though there was so much noise on the boat I never heard the purported roar that usually accompanies such an event).

Another fascination for me was that after the Jewel arrived and surveyed the situation, the Captain and Guide "spun her (very slowly) on a dime" so that any and all who were up and about could see the glacier. By the time we were ready to begin heading out, it was near dusk and I was astounded at how VERY quickly the fjord had begun to ice up. An amazing sight and a little frightening for some of us on that little boat.

So Mike, sure - I'd do it for a once in a lifetime.

Sue - thanks for the review and the meet and greet :)

Cinci:)

Archived