Minor Service Slip, but What a Recovery!

We disembarked from Allure yesterday, and have a story about how a fairly minor service lapse turned into a big plus for RCI.

Those who have sailed Oasis and/or Allure may know that an early evening music/dance set is offered 2-3 times per week in Dazzles. We try to attend at least once per cruise; after seven weeks on Oasis-class we have never seen it well attended. On some occasions we have been the only couple there. Needless to say, the bar servers must be pretty bored.

We went to this set on Friday and, as usual, there were only a handful of others present. We ordered our customary glasses of wine without incident. Later, Marlee wanted another glass. At that point we noticed that both bar servers were standing outside the entrance to the venue with their backs to the room. Marlee commented that they looked like they were on guard duty. After about ten minuets with no change in this dynamic, I went over to the bar to order her wine. Not that big a deal, except that after 78 nights on RCI ships this is the first time I've ever had to walk to the bar to get service. Unfailing service at your seat is one of those minor touches that differentiates Royal from the competition.

Because this was such an unusual lapse, we mentioned it to the "guards" after they finally remembered to check the room (I estimate they were in the hall for about 15-20 minutes without once checking their patrons). They reacted as one might expect: they became defensive, offered excuses, apologized rather weakly, etc. Think teenager caught drinking. We chalked the whole thing up to a regrettable, but minor lapse and I decided (without mentioning it to the servers) that I would note the incident on the Guest Satisfaction Survey because it was so unusual. And that was that -- so we thought.

The next afternoon we received a call from Gilroy, a bar service supervisor (one-stripe officer). Gilroy had not been present at the time the "incident" occurred, but he knew some of the details and wanted to hear our side of the story. Which means that the servers in Dazzles self-reported the event. Impressive. Most impressive.

Gilroy met us in the Viking Crown that evening, formally apologized for the lapse, and bought us two glasses of wine! An ending that seemed almost over the top for a small service lapse. (Frankly, having to go to the nearest bar for drinks is expected on some cruise lines.)

I regret that by the time Gilroy was able to contact us I had already submitted our Guest Satisfaction Survey. I would have commented in an extremely positive manner instead of a mildly negative one.

Marlee and I see this as an example of how seriously Royal lives by its "Gold Anchor Service". It speaks highly of the way the ship, and by extension the company, are managed. Kudos to the bar staff at Dazzles for "turning themselves in" and kudos to management for making a small issue more than right.

We are eagerly anticipating our next Allure vacation, 138 days from now! This occurance again validates our choice of RCI as our primary cruise line.

Rich

That's good. In spite of some of the negative service comments read occasionally here, I truly believe that, if made aware of an issue and given a little time, the professionals will make things right. Kudos to the staff to recognize there was a lapse and to reach out to you for closure. This is one of the rarely mentioned exchanges that build loyalty.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

If you really regret what you put on your comment card you have the option of writing a letter to RCI and giving them the same follow-up information that you have given us. I have, at times, written to RCI just to let them know what went really well during a cruise. I have also written to specifically mention certain crew who made our cruise special. You might want to let them know how seriously Gilroy took his job.

We try to attend at least once per cruise; after seven weeks on Oasis-class

Rich

WOW...7 weeks B2B2B etc or ? Any chance you want to adopt me?? ;) :p

Glad it all worked out for you :) ...I think, given the chance and the ability, all RCI will at least try to go above and beyond...sometimes people complain not because of the "issue" but because it didn't go in their favor. :rolleyes:

WOW...7 weeks B2B2B etc or ? Any chance you want to adopt me?? ;) :p

Glad it all worked out for you :) ...I think, given the chance and the ability, all RCI will at least try to go above and beyond...sometimes people complain not because of the "issue" but because it didn't go in their favor. :rolleyes:

Don't I wish those 7 weeks were consecutive!:D In fact, they were spread over about 18 months. But give us another 10 years or so until I plan to retire. If the 401(k) fairy is good to us, we might just try something like 7 -- or more -- straight weeks at sea! I think it would be a blast!

I'll relate my little gold anchor service story about our December Mariner cruise. We went to chops and Gary the manager was very accomodating. We hit it off right from the start, such a likable guy!:D But later in the evening we were kept waiting for an embarrasing length of time for our second course....we waited....and waited and now DH was getting a little peeved...after all we paid for this dinner. He was giving "the look":mad: often into the kitchen and after a while Gary came over and explained he did not know what the problem was but that our food would be right out...we enjoyed the rest of the dinner but commented on that glitch in service. Didn't make a big deal of it though and later we noted on our bill that Gary had comped the entire thing. We ate there again the next night! And he comped us a bottle of wine. Now that is one reason we stay loyal to royal. We have never had an incident about which there have been many posts here lately and hope to continue to cruise without incident but Gary is the bomb in our book! Needless to say our WOW card went to Gary.

Hey Marlee and Rich, we'll be sailing with you in roughly 138 days!!! We are glad to hear the RCI did what was right. We have only had positive response to any concern we've had on previous cruises, so I'm glad to hear that on the Allure you are not 'lost in the crowd'.

Hi

Glad to hear of others' good experiences.

We had a minor hitch on a recent Splendour of the Seas cruise, which was not resloved. It really is minor, but I thought it would have been handled better.

Essentially, my young son didn't receive the on board commemorative gift promised to him as a Crown and Anchor society member. We asked at guest relations, and they said that the gift only applied on some cruises, and not on Splendour. We Queried this, but they were adamant. When we returned home, we checked the website again, and there is nothing to suggest the benefits don't relate to all cruises. So I contacted the Crown and Anchor Society (UK). I was told he should have got a gift, and sorry, but nothing they could do about it now. I tried the "contact us" form on the web - but got the same person at C&A (UK), who reiterated his earlier position.

Now, it is trivial, but I would have thought they would have done better - e.g an offer of some slight enhancement on our next cruise.

Is it worth pursuing this, and if so, can anyone suggest whom to contact? A US link might be better, as there doesn't seem to be a customer service section in the UK (other than the chap I spoke to and e-mailed previously).

Many thanks,

Barbara

I noticed this same practice on a recent Voyager cruise. Maybe some others can chime in. I haven't cruised in about 3 years, but have always remembered waiters contstantly saying "Bar Service!!!". As if they were a vendor at a baseball game. In addition anytime you sat within 50 feet of a bar, a waiter would politely come over and ask you for a drink order. I have become accustomed to all of this.

On our Voyager cruise the crew was almost completely Asian. They were preparing for the launch to Singapore, etc. I found myself sitting down in a nmber of bars and cafes without having a waiter come up, including the pool deck. I only was able to get drinks at the bar.

I'm careful for what I wished for as I would rather not be asked every 30 seconds if I would like to buy a drink, but I did find it odd. I chalked it up the the more reserved culture of the Asian crew and possibly the learning curve of being onboard.

Archived