Is there a contest to name the new Royal Caribbean ship(s)?

I've tried searching - really I have.:confused: But on RCCL website all I get is answers about NEW Jersey, NEW Zealand, etc.

I have lots of ideas for new ship names and would like to suggest them. Any suggestions for me to follow?

Kathy

A little too early for a contest for the new Sunshine class:):) No one knows much about it except it is due out fall 2014. All of RCI is very tight lipped about it.

A little too early for a contest for the new Sunshine class:):) No one knows much about it except it is due out fall 2014. All of RCI is very tight lipped about it.

I thought I saw something on here about a contest but could not find it with my puny search efforts. I looked on Facebook, but it looks as though I would have to join to find out anything. Definitely not interested in doing that.

Kathy

I thought I saw something on here about a contest but could not find it with my puny search efforts. I looked on Facebook, but it looks as though I would have to join to find out anything. Definitely not interested in doing that.

Kathy

If, and when, such a contest is held, you can be sure it won't be a secret. If they do sponsor such a contest, I only hope that they can come up with better names than NCL's Breakaway and Getaway which were supposedly the result of such a contest. When more information about these vessels is revealed, you will read about it not only on Facebook, but also on this and other cruise forums and on the RCI website. We are most likely many months away from any such development.:)

No matter what happens they are going to come up with some stupid name.

The last bunch of ships names are totally lame, Oasis, Allure, Independence, or they just copy off Carnval, Liberty, Freedom .

I always thought they should recycle the names of the original ships, Sovereign, Empress, Majesty.

Those were the best...

No matter what happens they are going to come up with some stupid name.

The last bunch of ships names are totally lame, Oasis, Allure, Independence, or they just copy off Carnval, Liberty, Freedom .

I always thought they should recycle the names of the original ships, Sovereign, Empress, Majesty.

Those were the best...

If you do some checking, you will find that Freedom of the Seas entered service a full year prior to Carnival Freedom - so who copied who?

That being said, all of the lines seem to copy names.

• 2 weeks later...

As unpopular as they are on the internet... let's state some facts....

Carnival Legend - 2002

Legend of the Seas - 1995

Carnival Splendor - 2008

Splendour of the Seas - 1996

Carnival Liberty - 2005

Liberty of the Seas - 2007

Carnival Freedom - 2007

Freedom of the Seas - 2006

Carnival Dream - 2009

Disney Dream - 2011

Carnival Magic - 2011

Disney Magic - 1998

Costa Magica - 2004

Norwegian Jewel - 2005

Jewel of the Seas - 2004

Pacific Jewel - 2009

Seven Seas Mariner - 2001

Mariner of the Seas - 2003

Seven Seas Voyager - 2003

Voyager of the Seas - 1999

Seven Seas Navigator - 1999

Navigator of the Seas - 2002

Star Princess - 1989

Norwegian Star - 2001

Pacific Star - 2005

Norwegian Sky - 1999

Sky Princess - 1988

Pacific Sky - 2000

Dawn Princess - 1997

Norwegian Dawn - 2002

Pacific Dawn - 2007

Norwegian Pearl - 2006

Pacific Pearl - 2010

Norwegian Sun - 2001

Pacific Sun - 2004

Island Princess - 2003

Island Escape - 2002

And I am sure there are a lot of additions I have not though about.... even down to P&O having a ship called Oceana when there is Oceania Cruises. And Princess have a Pacific Princess when their sister line P&O Australia prefixes all of their ships with "Pacific".

So across many lines... there are similarities in ship names and no one line is more or less guilty than the others. Obviously, Holland America use place names in the Netherlands (Or make words up to sound like Dutch place names!). Of the mainstream North American brands, only Celebrity is not on the offenders list! but again, their ship names follow a specific theme.

Archived