Torn between Radiance or Oasis class

We've done Majesty, Explorer, FOS and now want to try another class of ship. Which should we do next? Allure, the Serenade, or maybe the Jewel?:confused:

Of the two Radiance class ships which do you prefer?

I doubt we would be disappointed with any of them, but please give me your suggestion and reasons why. What do you consider the best features of each class and of all three ships?

Thank you for your opinions. I appreciate your experience and thoughts.

We have cruised on all four Radiance Class ships, some several times, and they are our favorite class. They are all pretty much the same except for the art work, so I would let the itinerary be the deciding factor. We board the Brilliance in about three weeks.

We loved the Allure, but it was a completely different experience. It was like going to a resort, with all the neighborhoods, entertainment, and dining choices. We thought the ship was the destination rather than the ports we visited. There is no other ship like the Allure and Oasis. It was amazing.

I'd do the Oasis over the Radiance. We enjoyed our cruise on the Jewel, but it definitely wasn't anything to write home about. It has small pools, you have to be careful picking a balcony, it has a fraction of the shipboard activities/dining options, and we missed the promenade and big ship feel.

I think I would enjoy a Radiance class ship in Alaska or Europe, but have no desire to do a Caribbean cruise on one again.

We are looking forward to the Allure next year.

I'd do the Oasis over the Radiance. We enjoyed our cruise on the Jewel, but it definitely wasn't anything to write home about. It has small pools, you have to be careful picking a balcony, it has a fraction of the shipboard activities/dining options, and we missed the promenade and big ship feel.

I think I would enjoy a Radiance class ship in Alaska or Europe, but have no desire to do a Caribbean cruise on one again.

Thank goodness for people like you........or we would all be driving Black Ford model T's!:D

We far prefer the Radiance Class, and our favorite is the Jewel of the Seas.

But, let me give you an example, of how Royal Caribbean Corporate thinks of their mega ships.

Having done the Allure Pre Inaugural, my DW wanted to do the Oasis Class for a December cruise this year. We talked to the Loyalty Ambassador on board, and picked a GS on the Allure........for the 2nd week in December. The price was $15,000.00

Then I had him check the Brilliance of the Seas.........and for 3 weeks in an OS..........it was under $13,000.00. We have the same OS for 3 weeks of vacation, vs 1 week, with better itineraries, and it gives us our 150th cruise point........for our second free cruise.

I'm not a fan of the Oasis Class.......and that class does not give you anywhere near your bang for the buck!

Which brings me back..........I'm so glad that people continue to book the Oasis Class..........which gives me the opportunity to book smaller ships, the ones that feel like ships to me, but may not to you.

That is why you can purchase so many different cars today, same reason to purchase a reservation on any ship, any stateroom, as it's yours to enjoy!!:);)

Rick

Thanks for your response. I was wondering if after doing two cruises with a Royal Promenade and ice show, the Wow factor might make us too jaded and not appreciate what the smaller ships have to offer.

I do like the idea of seeing the ocean constantly with all that glass bringing the outside inside the ship. When we did the Zandam in Alaska, I loved sitting out on the balcony or deck feeling near to the sea and nature.

But I'm leaning toward the Allure just to see what the buzz is all about, realizing it's not like any other cruise and can feel more like a resort on land. Maybe we'll do it and then go back to the nostalgia of the small ships and a more relaxing way of cruising?

rubbick, you confirmed what I suspected. You are paying extra for the wide variety of entertainment and specialty restaurants with Oasis class. Not a bad idea. But going to new, unusual ports and enjoying a long seaside experience is what makes cruising so different from other vacations.

I guess we will look at the costs and decide if a longer time at sea, perhaps a back-to- back, is more important than the excitement of a shorter Vegas type resort experience. Love them both. Whatever we decide, we can't lose. We'll do the other later.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi,

I have cruised aboard all of the different classes of Royal Caribbean ships, including the Allure of the Seas in September 2011 and the Jewel of the Seas in January 2012. I honestly enjoyed both ships, but they offer a very different cruise experience. The Alure of the Seas truly is incredible and offers an amazing variety of entertainment and dining options. The Jewel of the Seas is a wonderful ship but offers a more traditional type of cruise.

I would recommend trying the Allure or the Oasis at least once. I was a little hesitant when I booked my cruise on the Allure of the Seas, but I was pleasantly surprised. The ship is very well designed and crowding was seldom a problem.

By the way, I cruised on the Jewel of the Seas after the Allure of the Seas and had a wonderful time on the Jewel. I am glad that I tried the Allure, but I certainly continue to appreciate the more traditional style of ship.

Chuck

Hi,

I have cruised aboard all of the different classes of Royal Caribbean ships, including the Allure of the Seas in September 2011 and the Jewel of the Seas in January 2012. I honestly enjoyed both ships, but they offer a very different cruise experience. The Allure of the Seas truly is incredible and offers an amazing variety of entertainment and dining options. The Jewel of the Seas is a wonderful ship but offers a more traditional type of cruise.

I would recommend trying the Allure or the Oasis at least once. I was a little hesitant when I booked my cruise on the Allure of the Seas, but I was pleasantly surprised. The ship is very well designed and crowding was seldom a problem.

By the way, I cruised on the Jewel of the Seas after the Allure of the Seas and had a wonderful time on the Jewel. I am glad that I tried the Allure, but I certainly continue to appreciate the more traditional style of ship.

Chuck

Thank goodness for people like you........or we would all be driving Black Ford model T's!:D

We far prefer the Radiance Class, and our favorite is the Jewel of the Seas.

But, let me give you an example, of how Royal Caribbean Corporate thinks of their mega ships.

Having done the Allure Pre Inaugural, my DW wanted to do the Oasis Class for a December cruise this year. We talked to the Loyalty Ambassador on board, and picked a GS on the Allure........for the 2nd week in December. The price was $15,000.00

Then I had him check the Brilliance of the Seas.........and for 3 weeks in an OS..........it was under $13,000.00. We have the same OS for 3 weeks of vacation, vs 1 week, with better itineraries, and it gives us our 150th cruise point........for our second free cruise.

I'm not a fan of the Oasis Class.......and that class does not give you anywhere near your bang for the buck!

Which brings me back..........I'm so glad that people continue to book the Oasis Class..........which gives me the opportunity to book smaller ships, the ones that feel like ships to me, but may not to you.

That is why you can purchase so many different cars today, same reason to purchase a reservation on any ship, any stateroom, as it's yours to enjoy!!:);)

Rick

Somebody has some figures wrong.....2 people in a GS on Allure for the second week of Dec is $5600. $15000 for a week on Allure would buy you the Royal Suite.

Thanks for your response. I was wondering if after doing two cruises with a Royal Promenade and ice show, the Wow factor might make us too jaded and not appreciate what the smaller ships have to offer.

I do like the idea of seeing the ocean constantly with all that glass bringing the outside inside the ship. When we did the Zandam in Alaska, I loved sitting out on the balcony or deck feeling near to the sea and nature.

But I'm leaning toward the Allure just to see what the buzz is all about, realizing it's not like any other cruise and can feel more like a resort on land. Maybe we'll do it and then go back to the nostalgia of the small ships and a more relaxing way of cruising?

We, too, have done all of the ships you are asking about- the Serenade on a short pre-Christmas cruise, the Allure Sept 2011 (too!!!), and we just sailed the Jewel just prior to Easter.

Unless you are just overwhelmed by the stuff available on the Allure, the smaller ships won't leave you wanting at all.

We love the Allure so much that we do plan another cruise on her- maybe for an anniversary, again. Incredible experience, and would not hesiate to repeat that.

But we also have strong feelings toward the Jewel and Serenade- they are just wonderful ships. When I first got on the Serenade, I was kind of taken back by how small she was- I expected bigger for what she has avaialable. I got over that way before the muster drill. We just LOVE the Radiance class ships.

Instead of thinking how "wow" the shows are on Allure, it's more how different the options are. The shows on the Serenade and Jewel were awesome, and the dining options are excellent.

I wish I could help you make a decision, but instead of choosing one over the other, we would do our best to sail both. Again.

Rick

That all depends on what the individual cruiser considers to be "bang". I feel like I get my money's worth. Though I would never pay school vacation week pricing.

With the exception of substituting "Serenade" for "Jewel" I could have written the above post myself.

Somebody has some figures wrong.....2 people in a GS on Allure for the second week of Dec is $5600. $15000 for a week on Allure would buy you the Royal Suite.

We booked this thru the LA while onboard. We were rather flabergasted at the price, but figured it was in December. Then when he recommended the Brilliance out of San Juan in an OS for just at $4,000.00 per week, it was an easy decision.

My DW and I may have misunderstood him, but we don't think so, but now that you have brought up the subject, I'll take a look for future cruises Steve.;)

Thanks!

Rick

That all depends on what the individual cruiser considers to be "bang". I feel like I get my money's worth. Though I would never pay school vacation week pricing.

OB..........I was looking at $15,000 for the week in an Allure GS vs $4,000 for the week in a Brilliance OS. That is where I was referring to getting the bang for the buck.:D

Steve has been kind enough to get me to look at pricing on my own here, which is not what the LA quoted me.

Rick

OB..........I was looking at $15,000 for the week in an Allure GS vs $4,000 for the week in a Brilliance OS. That is where I was referring to getting the bang for the buck.:D

Steve has been kind enough to get me to look at pricing on my own here, which is not what the LA quoted me.

Rick

OK, I concede that it would take a lot of bang to make up for $15,000.00 bucks!!:eek::D

Archived