groups

TheCalicoCat

How can you tell if there is a large group of teens/kids on your cruise? (Band, girl scouts, etc.)

I am assuming that in a group environment that they are not booked as family units & some of the kids may not even have a parent on the ship at all...

I am not assuming that they will be "bad" or even noticed, but I'd rather not sail with a large group of kids that are not sailing with their respective families.

(I also would not want to sail with a large group of any number _____ groups - not ageist.)

I don't think there's any real way to find out. Every sailing will have "groups" onboard...99% of the time, you'll never know if or who is in a "group".

Just don't worry about it...it truly will not affect your vacation.

Children (or any group involving children or school aged individuals) - will travel during school break periods. This would include any typical holiday periods: i.e. Easter, Christmas, summer vacation - if you want to avoid anyone of school age - try to travel when schools are in session - I would think particularly during time periods like the beginning of school (when kids can't afford to miss time) or perhaps during finals. Not all schools have the same schedules but you can use your best judgement to predict.

Also, shorter cruises are more likely to have these groups - rarely will large groups involving children sign up for a 10-14 day (or longer) cruise.

Also, more expensive lines - Cunard, Crystal, etc are much less likely to have groups of children (or even a lot of children).

I don't think it's difficult to predict without needing an exact number or breakdown which cruises will have more children.

So - if you're looking for a trip with few children.....try something LONG 14+days & expensive.

Having said that I'm not sure of a cruise where there are NO children allowed. And no matter when we've traveled we've always had some other children in kids clubs even the first week of September or a week in May (when most are having finals) and even transatlantic or South American cruises.

Judy

Archived