Review of Ryndam by RuthC is Highly Anticipated

Funsun60

Ryndam was our first cruise as well. 2005-6, I believe. We do love the smaller ships! We are planning on a longish cruise this Feb on the Ryndam. Food quality is a very big part of our enjoyment of cruises. Could you please elaborate on the food quality? Your comment about 'mdr aint what it use to be' leaves me wonderin. Thank you in advance.

We are planning on a longish cruise this Feb on the Ryndam. Food quality is a very big part of our enjoyment of cruises. Could you please elaborate on the food quality? Your comment about 'mdr aint what it use to be' leaves me wonderin. Thank you in advance.

I'm not sure I can explain it well, but let me give it a shot.

Years ago, every night seemed like a big family Sunday dinner. The meal was a really nice selection of the very best. Today, although the menu is nice, it comes across as more of a substantial weekday dinner.

Where there used to be roast sirloin of beef (not the prime rib night), now there is a lesser beef recipe. Even the short ribs of beef (which I like very much) was only on the menu one of the weeks. Although beef Wellington was on both weeks, and that is very good.

I never saw the chicken parmasan I like so much, nor the almond chicken appetizer.

I know when HAL used to serve swordfish it wasn't like I can get at home, but I ordered it anyway. Now, it never appears.

I haven't seen roast pork on the menu in a long time.

Does that sort of explain what I meant?

Are any major changes expected for the Ryndam's November 2012 drydock?

To my knowledge there's no structural changes, such as removing the aft pool, or adding a Retreat. I don't know if changing the outside cabins on Lower Promenade to Lanai cabins is on the drawing board. But then, I didn't ask about those kinds of things, either.

You might get a more informed answer if you post your question as a separate thread.

I am sailing Ryndam in January after the drydock, and I just checked on the website for my cruise. There are no lanai cabins to chose from. My guess would be they won't be adding them or they would list the deck changes after the drydock as they've done before on other ships.

I am sailing Ryndam in January after the drydock, and I just checked on the website for my cruise. There are no lanai cabins to chose from. My guess would be they won't be adding them or they would list the deck changes after the drydock as they've done before on other ships.

From where I lay my weary head, that's good news for me, Carol. Thanks for posting it. There are certain spots where I like to wile away the hours, and this leaves them as open to all.

Thanks!

Thanks RuthC - nice to read good things about our home for 21 days starting June 9 ... really like the Maasdam and the Rotterdam ... first time on the Ryndam ... looking forward to being pampered again...

Hi RuthC,

Thanks for the nice review of the Ryndam.

I have only been on the Noordam and Zuiderdam, and I don't know much about HAL ships. Is the Ryndam similar to either the Noordam or Zuiderdam?

What were the ports? Did you enjoy the ports?

What excursions did you like?

Thanks!

The Ryndam is one of the S-class ships, and is among the smallest of the fleet. Only the Prinsendam is smaller. The layout of the ship is similar to the R-class ships. Both feel very different from the Vista/Signature ships, while still having the HAl atmosphere and service.

The public rooms are proportionately smaller, while the cabins in the same category are larger. The Vista/Signature ships have the additional SS, SY, SZ categories that the S- & R-ships don't have.

Just as some people go to the Caribbean every year, I've been to most of the Norway ports several times. I guess I must love them as I keep going back! But just as much as the ports, I love the scenery in Norway.

This was a Collectors' Cruise, with both weeks round-trip out of Dover. The first week went to Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavenger, and Ulvik, which was a maiden call for HAL. The second week went to Bergen, Geiranger, Alesund, and Eidfjord, which, again, was a maiden call for HAL. Both the maiden calls were up the same fjord, which was beautiful.

Since I've been to these ports so many times, I've done just about all the HAL shore excursions of interest to me, that are at my mobility level. In Oslo this time I took the HO-HO bus to Frogner Park to see the Vigeland statues, which I had never done. It was a national holiday when we were in Alesund, so there wasn't much in the way of shore excursions offered. Which was lucky! It poured all day. I stayed aboard. On turn-around day in Dover I took a tour to Leeds Castle. Excellent tour. Beautiful place.

If you are planning a cruise to Norway, I would be happy to discuss excursions you may be interested in.

Hope this answers your questions somewhat?

Ruth thank you for your review and answering all the questions. In an earlier post you mentioned that if it were not for the special itinerary for your upcoming cruise you would not selec the Veendam. Is there a problem with this vessel?

Thanks, RuthC for taking the time to give me details on the ports and ships.

I do hope to go to Norway in the future. I have only been to Oslo (on a Baltic cruise).

From the little bit of research I have done and the photos I have seen, the fjords and the small villages look amazing. I can see why you have returned numerous times.

I will keep the Norway Fjords cruise on the top part of my Bucket List. For now, I must keep working to pay for my cruising hobby.;)

Ruth thank you for your review and answering all the questions. In an earlier post you mentioned that if it were not for the special itinerary for your upcoming cruise you would not select the Veendam. Is there a problem with this vessel?

I'm not Ruth C, but I was on the Veendam from South America to New York this past April. One problem I had was sitting out on the Lower Promenade deck - trying to figure out which deck chairs weren't reserved. I know that the deck chairs in front of the lanai cabins are reserved, but there were some deck chairs that had "Reserved" signs on them in front of an outside cabin with a window, so they shouldn't have been reserved. I figured they had just been put in the wrong place, but I didn't feel comfortable sitting on the lounger, so only rested for a few moments, and then resumed walking around the deck. There weren't many unreserved loungers in good viewing spots at all.

this is all getting me really excited for our first time on Hal on Ryandam.

Is there a complete menu of always available foods? :)

The almond crusted chicken sounds good. Are they prepared to do special orders with a bit of notice?

In an earlier post you mentioned that if it were not for the special itinerary for your upcoming cruise you would not selec the Veendam. Is there a problem with this vessel?

It's more "my" problem with the ship. Since her initial renovation, I think she is butt ugly (literally), and don't like that. I hated The Retreat 1.0, and don't expect Retreat 2.0 to be much better. There may be more room to walk around, viewing the scenery, but there is still less lounging space, and I don't like that big movie screen. "Retreat" is absolutely the wrong word.

And then there's the reserving of prime lounging space on Lower Promenade. That's my favorite place to spend the day, and I don't want to see a long row of unoccupied chairs, while I can't find a place to sit.

These three things have taken the Veendam out of the running when I look for a cruise. Were it not for the fact that this is the ship going to Antarctica, I would probably not be on it.

Is there a complete menu of always available foods? :)

My recent cruise didn't list the Always Available menu, but did have one line listing the breast of chicken, salmon, and sirloin steak that is on that menu. You can always order the onion soup that is on that menu.

In addition, you can always get a baked potato, or mashed, and can get carrots. I can't remember if green beans is possible, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

The almond crusted chicken sounds good. Are they prepared to do special orders with a bit of notice?

You have to give at least one night notice. And be prepared to eat a lot of it! The galley isn't going to prepare a single serving---and it will all be brought to you. :eek: I've learned that the hard way, and will try my darnedest not to do it again.

Hi Ruth,

Many thanks for the prompt reply, maybe the special orders is not the way to go, unless I want to waddle home with extra pounds on the hips :eek: and I can do that easily enough with holiday food ;)

Hi Ruth,

I know that taking food off the ship is usually a no-no but do you know whether this is possible in Norway? I wondered if the ship being in Europe might make a difference. Thanks!

I never heard it officially mentioned on either leg of the cruise.

When I take an afternoon shore excursion, and have to miss lunch, I typically take a couple of boxes of Cheerios with me. That has never been a problem. I wouldn't try to take anything like fruit, vegetables, meat, or cheese.

My best advice, if you want to take something, is to ask. Something packaged will probably not be a problem. But do ask.

I never heard it officially mentioned on either leg of the cruise.

When I take an afternoon shore excursion, and have to miss lunch, I typically take a couple of boxes of Cheerios with me. That has never been a problem. I wouldn't try to take anything like fruit, vegetables, meat, or cheese.

My best advice, if you want to take something, is to ask. Something packaged will probably not be a problem. But do ask.

Signs at the gangplank "Warn" against taking food off the ship. We know of people on our recent cruise who actually had sandwiches delivered to their cabin (room service) with breakfast and took the carefully packaged sandwiches on excursion in their HAL tote bags.

Ruth, I like the cereal idea. We never thought of that.

Signs at the gangplank "Warn" against taking food off the ship.

It's very possible there were warnings posted at the gangway. I did not notice them, but I pretty much never read the signs at the gangway. I know the time to return, and the rest of the drill, so I don't go looking.

I know it wasn't mentioned in the Daily Explorer, as I do read that thoroughly. I also didn't hear it mentioned at the evening show, but I didn't go to every one.

Archived