Review of Ryndam by RuthC is Highly Anticipated

Funsun60

The Ryndam is one of the S-class ships, and is among the smallest of the fleet. Only the Prinsendam is smaller. The layout of the ship is similar to the R-class ships. Both feel very different from the Vista/Signature ships, while still having the HAl atmosphere and service.

The public rooms are proportionately smaller, while the cabins in the same category are larger. The Vista/Signature ships have the additional SS, SY, SZ categories that the S- & R-ships don't have.

Just as some people go to the Caribbean every year, I've been to most of the Norway ports several times. I guess I must love them as I keep going back! But just as much as the ports, I love the scenery in Norway.

This was a Collectors' Cruise, with both weeks round-trip out of Dover. The first week went to Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavenger, and Ulvik, which was a maiden call for HAL. The second week went to Bergen, Geiranger, Alesund, and Eidfjord, which, again, was a maiden call for HAL. Both the maiden calls were up the same fjord, which was beautiful.

Since I've been to these ports so many times, I've done just about all the HAL shore excursions of interest to me, that are at my mobility level. In Oslo this time I took the HO-HO bus to Frogner Park to see the Vigeland statues, which I had never done. It was a national holiday when we were in Alesund, so there wasn't much in the way of shore excursions offered. Which was lucky! It poured all day. I stayed aboard. On turn-around day in Dover I took a tour to Leeds Castle. Excellent tour. Beautiful place.

If you are planning a cruise to Norway, I would be happy to discuss excursions you may be interested in.

Hope this answers your questions somewhat?

Norway is incredibly beautiful...once we sell the inn, I hope to do one of the cruises there. Spent three weeks in Norway and Sweden back in the 80's with my mother and sister...memories to last a lifetime!

I've been following this thread with great interest because I am doing 2 B2B's on Ryndam in Oct/Nov. Thank you for all your insights and observations Ruth. We're glad you enjoyed your trip.

I've been following this thread with great interest because I am doing 2 B2B's on Ryndam in Oct/Nov. Thank you for all your insights and observations Ruth. We're glad you enjoyed your trip.

Oh, I'm glad I was a help to you! Thanks for saying so. I hope you have a great time.

And, you know I like to have fun. :D

Archived