Denali flightseeing tours

morgan1929

A few questions for anyone who has taken a fixed wing flight over/around Mt McKinley:

1. is it worth $260 per preson to see the mountain from the air?

2. Holland America has a "round the mountain flight". has any taken it, and opinions please.

3. Talkeetna Aero has a "over the summit" tour. opinions please.

Obviously, there are pros and cons to booking with the cruise line vs independent.

How hard is it to get from McKinley Chalets to Talkeetna Aero?

Any and all opinions from those who have taken these or similar flights welcome.

John

BQ recommends Aero's summit flight, but as far as whether it's worth $260/pp, that depends on your budget. For me, it's "no". However, go get yourself a Toursaver for $99. Then it's $275 for two of you. Also, if you get next to no snow at home, I feel strongly you should get a glacier landing.

As far as getting to the airstrip--I don't think there's a way except by car. Or if you make some fast friends. :D

As far as the round-the-mountain flight--Talkeetna Air does that. You just have to get lucky w/ the weather and hope it's a clear day. We booked that flight, and it wasn't clear enough to do that one; the pilot gladly downgraded our package and refunded the difference.

Morgan, I booked the over the summit flight with Talkeetna Aero independently for our trip later this month (3 weeks and I can't wait!). They will pick you up at the McKinley Chalets (that's where we'll be as well) , so transport to the plane isn't an issue.

I bought the Toursaver ahead of time, so the flight for myself and DH will cost $275. That pays for the book all by itself, let alone the other coupons we are going to use. http://www.toursaver.com

Have fun planning!

A few questions for anyone who has taken a fixed wing flight over/around Mt McKinley:

2. Holland America has a "round the mountain flight". has any taken it, and opinions please.

Obviously, there are pros and cons to booking with the cruise line vs independent.

Any and all opinions from those who have taken these or similar flights welcome.

John

Hi John:

As the other posters have mentioned, there are several factors like budget to consider. I can only give you my impression of the Aero Over the Summit flight.

I consider it the most awe-inspiring excursion I have taken anywhere in the world! Absolutely the highest recommendation!

John

Hi John:

As the other posters have mentioned, there are several factors like budget to consider. I can only give you my impression of the Aero Over the Summit flight.

I consider it the most awe-inspiring excursion I have taken anywhere in the world (rivaled only by the wonders of Egypt, but those are very different)! Absolutely the highest recommendation!

I have been on many McKinley flights and clearly my preference is a summit flight, it can be upgraded from the toursaver coupon. But it can depend on your flying experience?? with a ski plane a nice tour.

I do not recommend booking this through the ship. There should be a shuttle to town from your hotel and without mobility limitations, the airport is a short walk.

Archived