Picture Id's

basser

We are going to take a car to Emerald Lake while in Skagway. Do our Grandkids need picture id's to cross the border, or will their birth certificates be enough? Thanks in advance.

Basser....these are your grandchildren? Do you think that you may need their parents' permission to travel out of the country with you. I don't want to raise any alarm bells, but I thought that young children not accompanied by their parents needed some sort of 'permission slip'.

Is anyone else aware of this situation?

I know for Mexico they say permission from parents. If traveling with one child, you need permission from the other. But I've taken my kids over the Canadian border several times and all they needed was a birth certificate and I was seldom asked for that. However, this was pre 9/11 and things may have changed.

Sorry, I forgot to say that we will have notorized permission slips. I had already had that thought Mom, that's probably what we will do just to cover all the bases. Thanks for the help.

When we took our grandchildren last year, we needed their birth certificates AND a notarized letter signed by BOTH parents. From what I understand with the new passport laws, eventually even children will need their own passports by 2006.

Deb

Archived