Great Stirrup Cay (GSC) Snorkeling Excursion

lola4795

• 3 months later...
Has anyone done the $29 GSC snorkel excursion? Is it any different than bringing your own snorkel gear and doing it from the beach? Or do they actually take you to a designated spot to snorkel?

Going in January and if anyone knows the answer to this question please reply!

Thanks! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have not been since they started the snorkeling "tour", however I have read others post that they did the snorkel on their own with their equipment. I think I also remember someone emailing NCL asking this question and they also responded that if you have your own equipment, you can swim out to where it is at.

Also, I believe the price to rent the snorkeling equipment was around $29 to begin with. So I think that price is just the rental of the snorkeling equipment and if you rent from them, they probably have employees showing you where it's at or something? :confused: Just a guess.

• 5 weeks later...

I brought my own snorkel/mask/fins but they made me wear an inflatable vest (which could be deflated) and said it was "complementary". Also had to fill out a disclaimer form and put my cabin #. When I got my statement I noticed they charged me $4.99 for the vest, so I called and complained and they refunded it, but not without "checking with the ship".

The snorkeling is OK but not great. So it's a nice thing to do if you're there, but I wouldn't plan a trip around it. There's a small island you can snorkel around and it's probably 50-60 feet deep on the far side. There's a lifeguard who stops you if you go the wrong direction. It wasn't clear where the snorkeling area ended, but I got the OK to go to a cluster of 3 rocks on the far left side... but current was pretty strong on the way back (so not for everyone).

On this cruise I also went snorkeling near Eden Rock dive center in Grand Cayman (free) and did an independent excursion in Cozumel (Dive Palancar) and those were far superior.

Archived