Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts

Malinda1229

This class was held in the Queen's Room, and the one time I watched it, there were about 20 passengers who participated. I have to admit, the class struck me as a bit odd. First, they did exercises with their mouths, doing stretches and making some very strange noises. Next, they stood in a circle and did an exercise which involved slapping the hand of the person next to you, and keeping that going around in a circle. I have no idea what this has to do with acting, but then again, I'm not into acting. I don't know how helpful this would be for your daughter.

Hi,

The RADA troupe performs two plays. When I was on they were Shakespeare's Lovers and The Importantance of Being Earnest. They are not the full plays. SL is a series of vignettes from Romeo & Juliet, Much Ado About Nothing, etc.

The RADA performers also hold workshops. There is one where you do warm up exercises and then do improvisation. They have another where you do scene readings and another where you do imitations. They usually do 2 or 3 workshops on a crossing. They are great fun.

Bon voyage

My wife got a cool certificate for attending all the classes on the 10 April crossing.

The actors were interrupted by the captain's message about our medevac diversion to Newfoundland right when Othello was smothering Desdemona. They kept speaking their lines right through the announcement. Poor Desi was still toast.

My wife is a drama teacher and attended the 3 workshops held in the Queens Room. They involved warm up exercises , movement exercises and voice exercises with improvisation. How much you do or how far it goes depends on the standard and level of participation of the passengers. She was very impressed with the actors and learned a few things she didn't know.

There were 3 performances held in Illuminations, one of which I saw which I thought was excellent - 2 short plays by Checkov - very funny.

This is an excellent programme which I'm sure your daughter will enjoy. pS Why don't you go too?????

Archived