Just back- thoughts & pictures

nhfamily

I was concerned about this port and being able to find everything talked about on this board... trust me, don't worry! The main thing is to bring cash, as many places don't accept credit cards yet!

-We rented a golf cart ($15/hour... no full day discounts any more)... cash or travelers checks only. They were right next to the taxi area behind the shops.

-Road to Majahaul is very well marked, no problem at all. First part is a brick road that will soon be developed... you can see more shops going up as well as lots being sold off near port.

-We cruised around in the golf cart for a bit before parking on the south end of the village. Lots of vendors in this area trying to sell their jewelry, cuban cigars, clothing, etc. The girls got their hair braided here for $15/half head which included beads. Prices on everything here was much less then directly off the docks.

-I was concerned about finding Tapas... believe me, if that's where you want to go, you'll find it... but there are LOTS of similar restaurants all in that area with similar setups as far as using their beach facilities for no charge. Prices at all the establishments seemed similar. Tapas was busy, so we bypassed it and went a few places north of there (Dolphinos?).

-Be prepared for lots of vendors on the beach, some school kids selling jewelry and handkerchiefs during their lunch time from school to people on the beach, banana chips, as well as a clown who will make balloon animals (hoping for a tip) and a guy walking around with a giant iguana lizard thing who will let you hold it and pose for a picture (for $ of course). Overall, a great, fun day...

I just uploaded a bunch of the Costa Maya albums.. hopefully I do this right and the link will work... If you look through, you'll see the golf cart, hair braiding, beach, etc : http://community.webshots.com/album/338467878zGJtCi

You are lucky to be there for 12 hours, our day went by way too quickly! The beaches/ocean was great for the kids.. no major drop offs. The golf cart stand is beyond the taxi area... no problem finding it. We did have to leave a drivers license with him, which did make me a bit nervous, but no problem with it being there upon our return.

New to cruise critics. So glad I found this board before we sail in a few weeks. I didnt know anything about Costa Maya, so came here for info. Looks like a day on the beach is the way to go. The golf carts in your picture look like fun, but do they let little kids ride in your lap? How long did it take to go in the golf cart to the village. Can you go whereever you want in them?

I was concerned about this port and being able to find everything talked about on this board... trust me, don't worry! The main thing is to bring cash, as many places don't accept credit cards yet!

-We rented a golf cart ($15/hour... no full day discounts any more)... cash or travelers checks only. They were right next to the taxi area behind the shops.

-Road to Majahaul is very well marked, no problem at all. First part is a brick road that will soon be developed... you can see more shops going up as well as lots being sold off near port.

-We cruised around in the golf cart for a bit before parking on the south end of the village. Lots of vendors in this area trying to sell their jewelry, cuban cigars, clothing, etc. The girls got their hair braided here for $15/half head which included beads. Prices on everything here was much less then directly off the docks.

-I was concerned about finding Tapas... believe me, if that's where you want to go, you'll find it... but there are LOTS of similar restaurants all in that area with similar setups as far as using their beach facilities for no charge. Prices at all the establishments seemed similar. Tapas was busy, so we bypassed it and went a few places north of there (Dolphinos?).

-Be prepared for lots of vendors on the beach, some school kids selling jewelry and handkerchiefs during their lunch time from school to people on the beach, banana chips, as well as a clown who will make balloon animals (hoping for a tip) and a guy walking around with a giant iguana lizard thing who will let you hold it and pose for a picture (for $ of course). Overall, a great, fun day...

I just uploaded a bunch of the Costa Maya albums.. hopefully I do this right and the link will work... If you look through, you'll see the golf cart, hair braiding, beach, etc : http://community.webshots.com/album/338467878zGJtCi

I wonder if we were there the same day? :) We were there this past Monday...

The price we paid for the golf cart was $40.00 for the day. We spoke w/others and they paid $45.00 for the day.

Tapas has the best salsa! Yumina!

Steph

We were there on Wed the 27th....... and they absolutely weren't budging on prices the day we were there! They were very adamant about $15/hour, no daily rates! They had a big sign right on the counter that also stated no daily rates. Maybe it was a supply and demand type of thing!?!

New to cruise critics. So glad I found this board before we sail in a few weeks. I didnt know anything about Costa Maya, so came here for info. Looks like a day on the beach is the way to go. The golf carts in your picture look like fun, but do they let little kids ride in your lap? How long did it take to go in the golf cart to the village. Can you go whereever you want in them?

The folks who rent them had no rules that I am aware of regarding kids on the golf cart (well, no driving of course!).... I think it would be more with your comfort level. It was probably only 5 minutes or so by golf cart to the village area.. not long at all. We toured around a few back streets behind the main village area before parking it.

We were there on Wed the 27th....... and they absolutely weren't budging on prices the day we were there! They were very adamant about $15/hour, no daily rates! They had a big sign right on the counter that also stated no daily rates. Maybe it was a supply and demand type of thing!?!

That was most likely it. :) We were the only ship in port that day... I know I spoke w/several other passengers who got good deals while shopping in the village that day. One seller was overheard saying it'd been a while since he'd made any money.

Steph

Thanks for your review and pictures. We will be in Costa Maya in November (first time in W. Carib.) and didn't know much about it. This has helped me with trying to decide. It looks like it will be Majahual and Tapas for us. :)

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

We are leaving on the Miracle on May 29. Just curious about the golf carts and going to Tapas....did you worry that something might happen to them while you were on the beach; is there a place to park them near by?

Thanks

We are leaving on the Miracle on May 29. Just curious about the golf carts and going to Tapas....did you worry that something might happen to them while you were on the beach; is there a place to park them near by?

Thanks

They have a designated empty lot for just golf carts that is near the entrance of town (right where they have it blocked off for pedestrians only)... it's also right near where all the taxis were lined up , and there was a police officer there right near that spot when we parked and also departed. We were early, and the first ones there... when we left there were quite a few other golf carts there. Just keep the key right with you... no one bothers them.

Thanks for the pictures, they were great! We are going to Costa Maya on the Miracle in August and haven't made a decision yet about what we will do there. Was there also a beach near the port and the pool? Could you snorkel off the beach where you were? The water looks beautiful! Thanks again. I can't wait to go! Susan

We were at a beach in Majahaul just a bit north of Tapas (like 2 or 3 restaurants). It's hard to describe, but all the restaurants/chairs/umbrellas all run into each other. The restaurant that we were at (well, using their beach facilities and they took our drink/appetizer order right at the beach, but you could eat at the restaurant if you wanted) was call El Dolphinos or similar. One one side was the chairs of another restaurant, and on the other was a open beach area where they had massages for $1 per minute. We didn't snorkel, but it was very gradual with no undertow, so it would be an easy place to snorkel, although I don't know if there was much there to see. In both Cozumel and Grand Cayman beaches, we had fish swimming around our legs, but none in COsta Maya. Didn't spend much time in the port area, but there appeared to be a beach right at the port, but looked very rocky.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the information and the pics! My DH and I are heading to Costa Maya in Sept. and this thread has really given me some great ideas!

$1/min for massage?! Where was this near? Sounds like I need to find this! :D

Thanks again!

Gail

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived