Spices/Seasonings at Falmouth?

Host Faith

Has anyone done shopping at Falmouth and seen spices in any of the shops there? I love jerk seasoning and would like to pick some up if it's available.

We're not planning to go very far from the ship (sailing the Allure). If we do, we'll likely do the Chukka Beach Break through Royal. We've been to Ocho Rios on a land vacation and likely won't want to go to Montego Bay. So on the way back from the beach break, or just strolling through Falmouth, I thought it would be nice to do some shopping. Thanks for any info you can give! :)

just get it here and save carrying it

walkers wood is one of the best

http://www.amazon.com/Walkerswood-Jamaican-Jerk-Seasoning-10/dp/B0001CVDZI

21FZ1nJ2GVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

it may even be hiding on a shelf at your local grocery

'Boston' is also authentic - it just comes from a different part of JA

http://www.amigofoods.com/bojese10oz.html?gclid=CJzKttq3q7ACFYRgTAod9VYvsw

and if you prefer a dry rub . . .

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/regal-caribbean-sunrise-jerk-rub-10-oz/10207337.html?utm_source=PriceGrabber&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=PriceGrabber+Campaign

jerk ..... yum!

When we were in Falmouth, one of the things we wanted to do was go to an authentic jerk place used by locals where they are smoking the meat.

We would up at scotchies and this is what we found out. They don't season the meat:p, rather its smoked placed on pimento tree wood and then tin placed over the meat.

The jerk taste comes from the pimento wood in the form of allspice which comes from these trees.

IMG_1592_rs.jpg.15b37a96a0bef115fa35eae084dad57d.jpg

IMG_1593_rs.jpg.e60747a13146a74e23949fa331392623.jpg

When we were in Falmouth, one of the things we wanted to do was go to an authentic jerk place used by locals where they are smoking the meat.

We would up at scotchies and this is what we found out. They don't season the meat:p, rather its smoked placed on pimento tree wood and then tin placed over the meat.

The jerk taste comes from the pimento wood in the form of allspice which comes from these trees.

Great photos! I was thinking about going to Scotchies, but we're going to take it easy on this cruise. You're right, it's not the same at all without the chicken being cooked over the pimento wood. We stayed in Ocho Rios for a week a few years back and had that jerk chicken every day. I really miss it. But, I've found that I can smoke my chicken at home with the jerk seasoning and wood chips. It's totally not the same as authentic jerk, but it'll have to do while we're here in Jersey, lol! :D

Jamaican Jerk is like American BBQ - no two cooks will agree and that's what makes it wonderful.

The allspice/pimento wood smoke component is only one part of what is generally considered Jerk. The other major component is the Scotch Bonnet pepper - a hot one indeed. Which is why most jerk is HOT . . .

http://homecooking.about.com/od/ethnicrecipesandfoods/a/jerkingreds.htm

But just like American BBQ which can be a Memphis dry rub, a Carolina vinegar base, or good old 'Open Pit' which I happen to love but many despise .... jerk can have as many variations.

Walkerswood is a JA product, a wet rub, and the jar recommends marinade over night (also carried at my local World Market)

Jamaican Jerk is like American BBQ - no two cooks will agree and that's what makes it wonderful.

The allspice/pimento wood smoke component is only one part of what is generally considered Jerk. The other major component is the Scotch Bonnet pepper - a hot one indeed. Which is why most jerk is HOT . . .

http://homecooking.about.com/od/ethnicrecipesandfoods/a/jerkingreds.htm

But just like American BBQ which can be a Memphis dry rub, a Carolina vinegar base, or good old 'Open Pit' which I happen to love but many despise .... jerk can have as many variations.

Walkerswood is a JA product, a wet rub, and the jar recommends marinade over night (also carried at my local World Market)

Not sure what this has to do with my post you quoted.

Archived