Dress Code in the Dining Rooms

OceanBull

The family and I will be sailing on the Paradise on August 11 and I was wondering what the dress code was in the dining rooms. On past cruises, before the kids, I dressed up on the formal nights in full jacket and tie and still wore button up shirts and slacks on the other nights. The last cruise we went with the kids two years ago was on NCL and the dress code was very casual. I don't need to show up in cut off jean shorts (actually I wouldn't do that anywhere) but I don't want to take a full suit this time either. I'm on vacation not on business. Can I wear a button up shirt with tie on formal night and polos on the other nights? I know many of you like the tradition and want to put on your best threads so I don't want to offend anyone but I just want to relax.;)

The family and I will be sailing on the Paradise on August 11 and I was wondering what the dress code was in the dining rooms. On past cruises, before the kids, I dressed up on the formal nights in full jacket and tie and still wore button up shirts and slacks on the other nights. The last cruise we went with the kids two years ago was on NCL and the dress code was very casual. I don't need to show up in cut off jean shorts (actually I wouldn't do that anywhere) but I don't want to take a full suit this time either. I'm on vacation not on business. Can I wear a button up shirt with tie on formal night and polos on the other nights? I know many of you like the tradition and want to put on your best threads so I don't want to offend anyone but I just want to relax.;)

Your choice of shirt and tie and otherwise polo shirts is fine. CCL really has no dress code that is consistently enforced. :(

On the Carnival cruises I have been on, it seems the majority of men wear a dress shirt and tie (no jacket) on elegant night. On casual nights, the range or clothes you will see on men will range from shorts and t-shirts to polos to dress shirts.

You will see everything from shorts to men in a tux. IMO slacks and a button down shirt are good for pretty much every night. Dress how you are comfortable.

But does that include a suit or sport jacket - which I would use for only those two dinners on the trip? The jacket is bulky in my carry-on luggage. Yes, I could unhappily wear it on the airplane.

As you can maybe tell, I'm from Southern California - and, out here, I would probably wear a suit to a funeral but probably not to a wedding. I will at least wear long pants instead of my usual shorts.

Bob

But does that include a suit or sport jacket - which I would use for only those two dinners on the trip? The jacket is bulky in my carry-on luggage. Yes, I could unhappily wear it on the airplane.

As you can maybe tell, I'm from Southern California - and, out here, I would probably wear a suit to a funeral but probably not to a wedding. I will at least wear long pants instead of my usual shorts.

Bob

I saw many men not wearing a jacket. My hubby didn't wear a jacket on our cruises. He didn't feel out of place. He still looked nice even without the jacket. I actually saw someone in shorts on one formal night.

And I understand the California thing. :) I'm in Florida, people wear flip flops everywhere here including weddings.

Absolutely okay. For that matter, you can skip the tie, too.

Bob

No jackets required. No ties, either.

A lot of men who wear jackets will take them off when they sit down, anyway.

We were on the Legend last week. I was surprised that the majority of the men wore suits. DH wore a dress shirt and tie which was fine. A small number of men wore polo shirts which really didn't meet the criteria for formal night.

We sat near the entrance and saw a few families in shorts and t-shirts turned away on the formal nights.

Bob

When the Paradise was in Long Beach DH would wear Dockers and a nice silk short sleeve shirt for CE night. He wasn't the only one to do so.

For a cruise his packing list is usually 2 pair of pants, one shorts, 7 short sleeve casual dress shirts, swim trunks, walking shoes and a pair of flip flops. This includes what he wears the first & last day and CE night.

He has never been turned away from the MDR.

It has definately gotten more relaxed from when I started cruising in 84 until now. On regular nights I wear Cargo Shorts and a Polo shirt. I bring a suit and on the first Cruise Elegant night I wear the jacket. On the second, I go sans jacket. I do wear a tie on both of those evenings. I actually like getting dressed up for dinner on these occasions though I admit, if I didn't have to bring the suit, I could probably pack for a 7 day cruise in a carry on.

We used to dress formally for the elegant nights, DH in a full suit and tie and me in a long dress or cocktail dress.

Our last two cruises we have not done that. On our most recent cruise, the Carnival Freedom, it was an 8-night cruise and on the two elegant nights DH wore black dress slacks and a long sleeved shirt and tie. I wore black slacks and a glittery top. It was so nice not bringing along the formal clothes and having that extra piece of luggage (garment bag). We will most likely be doing the same thing on our Conquest cruise in January.

On the Freedom we saw most men wearing slacks, shirt and tie. Very few suits and only a couple tuxes.

In my experience, it depends on the length of the cruise. I think people dress up more on the 7-day cruises than the shorter ones. We just got off a 3-day last weekend. DH wore a polo and khakis on elegant night and was wearing what just about everybody else was. The jackets were few. We were going to just go to the buffet until we saw what everyone was wearing into the dining room. The women were all in sundresses or church dresses. Again, the sparkly stuff was few.

Now, on the 7-day cruises we've done, we see more jackets and ladies being sparkly.

I'm in the camp of wear what's comfortable but not your jammies. LOL Just follow the dress recommendations put out by Carnival and you can't go wrong.

Carnival Dress Code

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Your plan on clothing is well within Carnival's guidelines. I've never seen ratty shorts or guys who like wearing baseball hats backwards at the table that people on CC love to report on.

You'll be fine.

Absolutely okay. For that matter, you can skip the tie, too.

No jackets required. No ties, either.

A lot of men who wear jackets will take them off when they sit down, anyway.

That's the kind of attitude that has decended elegant night into what it is, "dealers choice." AND, I have never seen guy drape his jacket over the back of his chair during dinner in MDR. I understand the luggage problem of carrying your "sunday feathers" but to me dressing up is a sign of respect. Am I offended by the way someone else dresses? NO, but wearing a decent shirt and tie shouldn't be to much to ask.

The dress code on Carnival isn't enforced and thank god for that :). I wear a nice blouse and slacks on formal nights but then on the casual nights I will wear shorts and then either a polo shirt or a t-shirt.

I look at it like this. I am on vacation and I wanna be comfortable :p

That's the kind of attitude that has decended elegant night into what it is, "dealers choice." AND, I have never seen guy drape his jacket over the back of his chair during dinner in MDR. I understand the luggage problem of carrying your "sunday feathers" but to me dressing up is a sign of respect. Am I offended by the way someone else dresses? NO, but wearing a decent shirt and tie shouldn't be to much to ask.

The dress code posted above calls for dress slacks and dress shirt. That is appropriate wear for the MDR on elegant nights. Anything above that is suggested or at the option of the guest. Carnival is taking the same approach as most of the other mainstream cruise lines.

I believe the "respect" should apply to all who choose to dress within the guidelines.

Just follow the dress recommendations put out by Carnival and you can't go wrong.

The advice about dress code is appreciated. We are signed up via an agent but the cruise isn't till Dec. 16 and I have, so far, received nothing from Royal Caribbean.

BobKnepper

The advice about dress code is appreciated. We are signed up via an agent but the cruise isn't till Dec. 16 and I have, so far, received nothing from Royal Caribbean.

BobKnepper

RCI Dress Code:

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?s.gifA: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

The number of smart casual and formal nights is at the ship's discretion.

In the MDR you will see everything from shorts to tux's . However most of the elegant dressage on CCL consist of too small suit's that the wife dug out of the closet . The finest cocktail dresses and other high end clothing that you can buy at WalMart or K Mart . The real dressers chose one of the elegant lines that encourage full dressage for there dining enjoyment .

Just wear what you are comfortable in and enjoy your vacation .

In the MDR you will see everything from shorts to tux's . However most of the elegant dressage on CCL consist of too small suit's that the wife dug out of the closet . The finest cocktail dresses and other high end clothing that you can buy at WalMart or K Mart . The real dressers chose one of the elegant lines that encourage full dressage for there dining enjoyment .

Just wear what you are comfortable in and enjoy your vacation .

My husband's suit will fit him, and my dresses come from either Macy's or Dillards as I don't buy clothes at Walmart or Kmart. You can't say that the people who cruise Carnival buy their clothes there. Now I am beginning to wonder if Carnival is the Walmart cruiseline :confused:.

Ties are not required in the MDR. When you become the CEO of Carnival, feel free to amend the dress code.

Archived