Condition of Explorer of the Seas

According to the Loyalty ambassador on our 5/19 cruise, late 2014 is her next dry dock. But he also indicated that she would be replaced at that time by a sunshine class ship... I will believe it when I see it. :rolleyes:

On our 5/24 cruise, the loyalty ambassador, the captain, the hotel director, etc, all reported the same thing, that the plan is for the first sunshine class ship to replace Explorer in New York City (not Bayonne). They even explained that this is why Liberty did not replace Explorer this year, because of the better longterm future plan.

All they would say about the ship is that the upper decks would be completely enclosed for cold weather cruising.

The loyalty ambassador also said that the plan for the second ship is Boston.

I will also believe it when I see it!

Just wondering. We usually cruise at Easter because I am a teacher. Next year the Enchantment is taking a 12 day starting April 1st. So we can't go there. New Jersey is the next closest port so I just wanted to know if the Explorer was going to get some of the changes that they are doing to the other ships like the Grandeur.We did not want to fly or or drive to far.

If not having a flat screen TV in your cabin is going to ruin it for you then you should reexamine your expectations because for what you get for what you pay you are getting a tremendous value.

"Tremendous value" is relative. Ex in summer averages $200pp per day, for an inside! We are talking >$600 pp per day for an OS on a 5 night Bermuda in the summer (in August, in peak hurricane season!). Sorry, that's not "tremendous value".

Add to that fact that your room could be quite outdated and worn, and the value lessens even more.

I always post that I have had a great time on Ex, but it is outdated and needs more work than they are giving it. I advise to look for a 'good deal' on this ship, and I think it's good advice. If people want to spend >6k, cruise only, for 2 people on this ship, and think they got a great deal, that's fine, but I'm guessing many more people want to have correct expectations. If everyone keeps saying it's perfect, it doesn't need updating, I think that it sets people up for disappointment. That's all.

As everyone else has said, some minor wear and tear, but really not noticeable unless you are really digging with a magnifying glass. My opinion is that most people of the people who get very dramatic about its condition probably complain about almost everything in life in general. I wonder the condition of their own home and the quality of the food they cook. I bet in some cases it's worse that the ship, but they make it sound like the ship is just about ready to fall apart.

You have got to be kidding me :rolleyes:

You know if Royal is reading these posts, and they decide to move up drydock for Ex, you'll have tons of people here cheering about it and all the 'it's perfect!' people will fade into the woodwork. So ridiculous.

I find it extremely hard to believe "Explorer" is in bad shape in anyway. Its a beautiful ship, my personal favorite because I live in NJ. There is some wear and tear that is to be expected on a ship that caries thousands of people each week but I thought the ship overall is in great shape.

Just wondering. We usually cruise at Easter because I am a teacher. Next year the Enchantment is taking a 12 day starting April 1st. So we can't go there. New Jersey is the next closest port so I just wanted to know if the Explorer was going to get some of the changes that they are doing to the other ships like the Grandeur.We did not want to fly or or drive to far.

I don't believe EX is due for drydock until 2014 - I haven't read what upgrades she might be receiving - anyone?

We were aboard EOS in April. She's showing her age, but as others have said, nothing that would cause us to not sail on her again - we're actually almost ready to firm up a 10 night aboard her in December.

There was some sewer system issues on our boarding day though which (based on what I read here about her following cruise) might have continued. One would have to think its been addressed now.

Again, echoing others, some people will complain about anything and are never happy. We meet more than a few on every cruise and just walk away and let them whine, complain, cry and mutter to themselves over petty and outright foolish things.

Ignore them and have fun.

We were aboard EOS in April. She's showing her age, but as others have said, nothing that would cause us to not sail on her again - we're actually almost ready to firm up a 10 night aboard her in December.

There was some sewer system issues on our boarding day though which (based on what I read here about her following cruise) might have continued. One would have to think its been addressed now.

Again, echoing others, some people will complain about anything and are never happy. We meet more than a few on every cruise and just walk away and let them whine, complain, cry and mutter to themselves over petty and outright foolish things.

Ignore them and have fun.

I agree with everything in this post 100%.

I have come to the conclusion after reading a lot of these negative reviews about the EOS that people who take 3 or 4 cruises within the last few years on RCI ships suddenly become "cruise experts", but they have nothing else to compare it against, especially against ships built before the Explorer was launched.

DW, DD1, DD2 both in their 20;s and I have been on the EOS twice within the past year. Both times we have enjoyed the atmosphere and the clean environment of the ship. We were on for a total of 20 sailing nights. There is nothing offputting about this ship. A ship is a machine that is in a constant state of repair, The crew does an excellent job of that.

People complain about some stains on the carpet in some areas. My question is when would you like them to shampoo those carpets that would not be an inconvenience to somebody. No this ship is in remarkably good shape. If not having a flat screen TV in your cabin is going to ruin it for you then you should reexamine your expectations because for what you get for what you pay you are getting a tremendous value.

Enjoy your future cruise with no worries.

We were recently on the Explorer in March and will be on her again in September to Bermuda. As everyone else has said, some minor wear and tear, but really not noticeable unless you are really digging with a magnifying glass. My opinion is that most people of the people who get very dramatic about its condition probably complain about almost everything in life in general. I wonder the condition of their own home and the quality of the food they cook. I bet in some cases it's worse that the ship, but they make it sound like the ship is just about ready to fall apart. RCCL has those employees painting, scraping rust, replacing and cleaning carpets all the time.

You will be fine with nothing to worry about.

Why is it that when people state that the overall condition of the ship is that it needs a good cleaning, new paint, new tv's, and new carpeting/bedding/drapes, etc....that these people are labeled whiners, glass half full, miserable, complainers or are nit-picking every little thing. I don't recall reading that anyone's cruise was ruined because they did not have a flat screen tv or there was a stain on the sofa in the cabin. But I do think that it factors into someones overall opinion of the ships condition.

I traveled on Ex two years ago and would not cruise it again. Did I have a good time- yes of course I did, I was on a cruise! Was it a horrible vacation and did I complain and carry on about it the entire time-no. Was it my least favorite cruise- yes, and here is the reason why... I had just come off of the Liberty and the Indy and for me, I did not find tremendous value for my money with the Explorer cruise. The location is convenient, but I would rather spend the money on airfare to travel on one of the newer ships. It's my preference.

I don't believe that these types of comments will turn people away form cruising on the ship, but I do think it helps manage peoples expectations about what the condition of the ship is. If I had read that everything was brand, spanking new I would have been disappointed. IMO these types of reviews help to level set what people can expect.

We were on the 5/19 sailing as well. Personally, I thought the public areas (including the restrooms) were kept in great shape. Staff was great, although some of the "brand new" personnel still needed to get in the RC spirit. The only smells I experienced were from my DH's socks!

We really enjoyed sailing on her and booked another Explorer cruise on board.

I also could be described as old, worn, and in need of a makeover so perhaps I am biased. Relax, you will have a great time.

EOS last November was our very first cruise and we couldn't have been happier. This was also our first BIG vacation. We're looking so forward to booking our 5th anniversary cruise on EOS next October. We enjoyed the food, entertainment, atmosphere and crew very much. We probably wouldn't have noticed any wear and tear if I hadn't seen reports here on CC. She's a nice ship and I'm sure you'll enjoy you vacation.

I'll put a little more of my 2 cents in, and this is only my opinion. First impressions matter. Some people may only or will only cruise from their homeport. If the cabins look worn and things aren't replaced, it does make the ship look that way. We are using the cabin every day. It doesn't matter if you're not in it, except for sleeping. We are going on her again in Oct., but mostly because we got a great price. I would've picked a newer ship, whether it was RCCl or another cruiseline, if the price was higher. I'm glad that I have the choice of what month to choose. For those that have to travel in the summer months, the prices are higher then I'd pay for this ship. JMO.

"Tremendous value" is relative. Ex in summer averages $200pp per day, for an inside! We are talking >$600 pp per day for an OS on a 5 night Bermuda in the summer (in August, in peak hurricane season!). Sorry, that's not "tremendous value".

Add to that fact that your room could be quite outdated and worn, and the value lessens even more.

I always post that I have had a great time on Ex, but it is outdated and needs more work than they are giving it. I advise to look for a 'good deal' on this ship, and I think it's good advice. If people want to spend >6k, cruise only, for 2 people on this ship, and think they got a great deal, that's fine, but I'm guessing many more people want to have correct expectations. If everyone keeps saying it's perfect, it doesn't need updating, I think that it sets people up for disappointment. That's all.

We didn't pay 6K for 4 people on both of our recent Explorer cruises combined, including cruise fare for two cabins and all onboard spending/tips! And, one of those was a holiday cruise, and the other, a 9 nighter last week.

Archived