Flights - no room to sit with DS?

ElsieToo

I don't think you have any reason to worry. How long is the flight? They are usually very good about moving children to be seated with their parents. I had this issue once where they did not assign my daughter and I seats together. When I checked in, I simply told them they needed to find a way for us to sit together and they did.

Our flight is 6 hours, nonstop from the East Coast to back here in California. It's a long flight, and it seems geared to business travelers, so I don't know how willing people will be to switch with me. I can definitely hold my own with the gate agent, but I sure do recognize that there's only so much they can do.

°°°

Thanks to all who posted. Coincidentally, I heard a story on the radio just this week saying that airlines- especially United - were counting on parents separated from their kids to upgrade to the premium seats as a way of generating more revenue. My blood almost boiled...

I will keep checking while I'm able to, but this flight is at the tail end of our trip ( land portion, cruise portion, then another land portion), and I don't know what my internet access will be like as we get closer to the flight.

Kharma has been pretty good to me in the past, so I will continue to hope that the situation resolves itself in our favor... and if all else fails I'll remember to wave the barf bag around when we're getting seated, lol.

What happens with disabled passengers? Specifically, my mother is otherwise fit and well but is deaf, so she can't hear the announcements. I've always assumed that if we were separated on a plane they would have to find us seats together, simply for safety reasons. Would they? And shouldn't the same apply to a child?

I had just read somewhere this week that someone somewhere is trying to force the airlines to let parents change seats without a fee so they can sit with thier kids. We haven't had to pay a fee to change seats, but some people have told me they have had to. You will find a softie. :) It's in everyones best interest for a child and parent to sit together. Hopefully it will work out, make sure to bring stuff to keep him occupied and full so he doesn't get restless just in case.

What happens with disabled passengers? Specifically, my mother is otherwise fit and well but is deaf, so she can't hear the announcements. I've always assumed that if we were separated on a plane they would have to find us seats together, simply for safety reasons. Would they? And shouldn't the same apply to a child?

I have sat next to a deaf passenger. She was in the middle seat and I was in the aisle. She was allowed to pre-board and did just fine. We had a nice conversation on the flight as she could read lips. Depending on the airline, the announcements shouldn't be an issue as there is normally video, flight attendants demonstration, cards, the light up seatbelt signs, etc.

I have also been on flights near (but not next) to unaccompanied children. They tend to put the unaccompanied children in the first few seats (smaller plane we were on) and the flight attendants took care of whatever they needed.

Our flight is 6 hours, nonstop from the East Coast to back here in California. It's a long flight, and it seems geared to business travelers, so I don't know how willing people will be to switch with me.

What does this mean, "geared to business travelers"?

Coincidentally, I heard a story on the radio just this week saying that airlines- especially United - were counting on parents separated from their kids to upgrade to the premium seats as a way of generating more revenue. My blood almost boiled..

Don't believe everything you read and hear. Do you honestly feel there are that many parents traveling with children who can't get seats together? I fly on many UA flights and can tell you that the E+ section is usually full with people who either got access free because of their status, or were happy to pay for it.

There are usually plenty of seats in regular economy available at no charge.

The problem with seating on UA lately, is they are still combining their operations with CO, since the merger. Many flights have had schedule changes and equipment swaps and when this happens, you will sometimes find yourself assigned to a different seat by the computer.

Check your itineraries on a regular basis. Never count on a GA, FA or other passengers to solve your seating problems for you. More and more I see people refusing to swap seats.

Kharma has been pretty good to me in the past, so I will continue to hope that the situation resolves itself in our favor... and if all else fails I'll remember to wave the barf bag around when we're getting seated, lol.

This is a very old trick and one known to most frequent flyers. Most people aren't even paying attention to stuff like this when they are boarding. They're too busy trying to cram their bags into the already full overhead bin.

I had just read somewhere this week that someone somewhere is trying to force the airlines to let parents change seats without a fee so they can sit with thier kids. We haven't had to pay a fee to change seats, but some people have told me they have had to. You will find a softie.

Where does this nonsense come from? What airlines are you flying? Every single legacy carrier in the US has economy seats that you may chose at no charge when you make your reservation. You don't have to pay to change seats on these airlines! You only pay if you are purchasing a seat in a different class of service, or changing to E+ on UA or Economy Comfort on DL, for example.

I had just read somewhere this week that someone somewhere is trying to force the airlines to let parents change seats without a fee so they can sit with thier kids. We haven't had to pay a fee to change seats, but some people have told me they have had to. You will find a softie. :) It's in everyones best interest for a child and parent to sit together. Hopefully it will work out, make sure to bring stuff to keep him occupied and full so he doesn't get restless just in case.

Look at the second link in my post #6. Sen. Charles Schumer is asking Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood to issue rules preventing airlines from charging parents more to sit next to kids. He is also asking the industry's trade group, Airlines for America, to persuade carriers to voluntarily waive the fee for families."A parent should not have to pay a premium to supervise and protect their child on an airplane," Schumer wrote in a letter expected to be sent Sunday to Nicholas E. Calio, the trade group's president.

Look at the second link in my post #6. Sen. Charles Schumer is asking Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood to issue rules preventing airlines from charging parents more to sit next to kids. He is also asking the industry's trade group, Airlines for America, to persuade carriers to voluntarily waive the fee for families."A parent should not have to pay a premium to supervise and protect their child on an airplane," Schumer wrote in a letter expected to be sent Sunday to Nicholas E. Calio, the trade group's president.

Most airlines don't charge for this now. Why do you need a rule to prevent something that isn't happening?

Are there any elected officials that actually spend time working on real issues, instead of headline grabbing non-issues?

What will he do next? Sponsor legislation that will force US carriers to let families preboard?

Are there any elected officials that actually spend time working on real issues, instead of headline grabbing non-issues?

LOL. Don't get me started. I'm from Arizona, where our state legislature is hard at work guaranteeing your right to carry guns on college campuses and requiring the colleges to pay for gun lockers in every building. :rolleyes:

Thank You!! I knew I read it somewhere and at the time, I thought "I should make note of this in case I need to remember for a CC thread" :)

Happy Cruising everyone!

I fly every week for business. As others have said, keep checking online. As someone else said grab an aisle or window if at all possible--people will be more likely to trade for these seats than a center seat.

Ask at check in (if you don't use online check-in) and again at the gate. Depending on the flight (lots of families, etc.), gate agent, etc. you might have some luck before boarding. There is no rule that children have to be seated with parents so the agents can't move another passenger involuntarily. If nothing is resolved in advance, talk to the flight attendant at the door of the plane during boarding. He or she will often advise you of which flight attendant might be able to help. You (sometimes with the help of the flight attendant) can ask other passengers to trade seats. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee so try to prepare your child in advance for the possibility that you might be separated (where you'll be, etc.).

I'd say I've voluntarily moved about 50% of the time I've been asked (sometimes it was for adults, not children, to be together). If I've paid extra for a seat, been asked to move to a center seat or been asked to move to the back of the plane from the front (when on the plane home to my family), I've usually declined. While a lot of the reason for my decision was the seat location, how I was asked was also a factor.

Good luck and keep checking, especially within a week of the flight. Upgrades for the top frequent fliers at most airlines start clearing from 4 to 7 days in advance of a flight. Others are cleared closer in.

Don't believe everything you read and hear. Do you honestly feel there are that many parents traveling with children who can't get seats together? I fly on many UA flights and can tell you that the E+ section is usually full with people who either got access free because of their status, or were happy to pay for it.

There are usually plenty of seats in regular economy available at no charge.

My entire family comes from the aerospace industry; I know planes. My flight is on a Boeing 737-800. The major airlines love them because they are more fuel efficient than other models, but they charge the same amount for tickets. Less fuel + same fares = money maker. It's a very commonly seen on long trips, and particularly in business routes.

Economy is completely booked. Economy+ only has seats in the Emergency Row, but a 5 year old can't sit there as per federal regulaions. My situation is the same.

For what it's worth, I mistyped earlier - we're flying on American, not United, but it's not really important to this.

Check your itineraries on a regular basis. Never count on a GA, FA or other passengers to solve your seating problems for you. More and more I see people refusing to swap seats.

This is a very old trick and one known to most frequent flyers. Most people aren't even paying attention to stuff like this when they are boarding. They're too busy trying to cram their bags into the already full overhead bin.

As I said before, I AM checking the itinerary regularly, and I know that there might not be anything that can be done. I was looking to see what other peoples' experiences have been in this situation.

The barf bag comment was in response to something that another poster suggested. I took it as a way of being funny in a message board, not something that I actually planned to do.

I'm fairly certain that the story I was listening to on the radio was referencing this proposed legislation exactly. Thanks!

My entire family comes from the aerospace industry; I know planes. My flight is on a Boeing 737-800.

With that expertise, you should come over and post on the air travel board. You might be able to answer some questions for some of the infrequent flyers that post there.

Economy is completely booked. Economy+ only has seats in the Emergency Row, but a 5 year old can't sit there as per federal regulaions [true]. My situation is the same.

For what it's worth, I mistyped earlier - we're flying on American, not United, but it's not really important to this.

I am confused by this; your other posts state you spoke with UA. If you are on AA, there is no E+.

I am confused by this; your other posts state you spoke with UA. If you are on AA, there is no E+.

My previous post (#37):

For what it's worth, I mistyped earlier - we're flying on American, not United, but it's not really important to this." It's just nomenclature, and I took it for granted that people would know what I was talking about without having to spell it all out. On AA it's called "premium" economy seating, but it doesn't remotely make a difference in my situation - even if I wanted to pay the almost $80 up-charge ($39/seat) to switch to two premium seats for DS and either myself or my husband it wouldn't matter because DS isn't allowed to sit in the emergency rows, and those are the only seats that are open on my flight.

My previous post (#37):

For what it's worth, I mistyped earlier - we're flying on American, not United, but it's not really important to this." It's just nomenclature, and I took it for granted that people would know what I was talking about without having to spell it all out. On AA it's called "premium" economy seating, but it doesn't remotely make a difference in my situation - even if I wanted to pay the almost $80 up-charge ($39/seat) to switch to two premium seats for DS and either myself or my husband it wouldn't matter because DS isn't allowed to sit in the emergency rows, and those are the only seats that are open on my flight.

AA doesn't yet have their new "Main Cabin Extra" seating. It will be installed on new 737-800s they should be getting this fall, and they will be starting to install these seats on existing aircraft later this year. The only seats in coach you can pay extra money for right now are "preferred seats" and they are no different then the rest of the coach seats. They are just the bulkhead seats (which I agree, your five year old can't sit there) and ones closer to the front of the cabin.

Keep checking your itinerary; I'd look at it daily. People will cancel, upgrade, etc., and it's likely seats will open up. Good luck.

I've flown 100's of segments with our kids, and as scattered-family-seating arrangements go your situation is not so bad -- of course you know your child best, yet it's an opportunity to give him an independent experience with close parental supervision in front and behind. His seatmates could be nice, interesting, good people, and it could be a positive experience! Particularly coming off a cruise where he will have interacted a lot with a changing cast of characters.

We are leaving later this month for our cruise, and we booked our flights several weeks ago. Unfortuantely, one our return flight there wasn't a single spot for two people to sit together, which means unless the situation changes my DS (5 yo) will have to sit by himself.

I called the airline (United) customer service, and explained the situation to them. They said that there's nothing that can be done at this time, and to let the gate agent know before our flight and he or she will try to do something about it... but there is no guarrantee that anything will change.

Right now the four of us are travelling in the middle seats of four rows front to back, so if worst comes to worst I'll be in front of DS and DH will be in back, but I can't tell you how much I HATE THIS SITUATION. I hoping the gate agent will come through amd find new seats or that some kind passenger will be willing to switch, but it's still a big concern to me. Have you all had any luck with getting new seat assignments to sit with your kids at the last minute?

I book ahead of time so I can get an aisle seat and sometimes I have to pay extra for it. You book a short time before you leave and expect me to give up my aisle seat.

No way!! What sort of a sucker do you think I am?

DON

If you bought the emergency row seats you would have 2 seats to trade. I'm sure you could find a couple willing to move together to a premium seat vs 2 middle seats. As others have said, they booked ahead to get the seats they wanted, so you're in a tough spot expecting people to trade to middle seats. Good luck.

If you bought the emergency row seats you would have 2 seats to trade. I'm sure you could find a couple willing to move together to a premium seat vs 2 middle seats. As others have said, they booked ahead to get the seats they wanted, so you're in a tough spot expecting people to trade to middle seats. Good luck.

I do not expect anything. My original question was very clear: "Have you all had any luck with getting new seat assignments to sit with your kids at the last minute?" I never said anything about "How do I get someone to switch with me?" I never planned to ask the nearby passengers to trade seats - if some kind person offered, however, I would certainly be thankful and be happy to accept their assistance.

I book ahead of time so I can get an aisle seat and sometimes I have to pay extra for it. You book a short time before you leave and expect me to give up my aisle seat.

No way!! What sort of a sucker do you think I am?

DON

I think you're they type of sucker who will be sitting next to my five year old and having to deal with him chattering at you for 6 hours straight, dropping things into your lap, spilling his food (possibly on you), and standing up onto his seat to see over the seat back at one parent or the other throughout the course of the flight. That's what kind of sucker I think you are, Don. Enjoy your aisle seat.

LOL. Too funny! I definitely "like" your post, ElsieToo. ;)

I think you're they type of sucker who will be sitting next to my five year old and having to deal with him chattering at you for 6 hours straight, dropping things into your lap, spilling his food (possibly on you), and standing up onto his seat to see over the seat back at one parent or the other throughout the course of the flight. That's what kind of sucker I think you are, Don. Enjoy your aisle seat.

That's what noise cancelling head phones and the call button for the FA are for.

Our flight is 6 hours, nonstop from the East Coast to back here in California. It's a long flight, and it seems geared to business travelers, so I don't know how willing people will be to switch with me.

I take this to mean that the flight is on a route and at a day/time that is more likely to appeal to business travelers than to leisure travelers. A Monday morning flight in the fall from, say, Chicago to New York will have a decidedly different passenger demographic than a Saturday flight in the summer from Chicago to Orlando.

OP, this could actually work to your advantage. If your flight is laden with business travelers, this means that many of the passengers will be traveling alone, as opposed to with their families, and thus not necessarily as concerned with who they sit with. And if either of your kid's seatmates were hoping to get some work done on the flight, they may well be willing to switch just so they don't have a (potentially) squirmy, noisy kid distracting them.

I've seen this situation crop up on some of my flights, and eventually someone is always willing to switch. If need be, you may wish to sweeten the pot by offering to buy the switcher a drink or an in-flight meal.

I take this to mean that the flight is on a route and at a day/time that is more likely to appeal to business travelers than to leisure travelers. A Monday morning flight in the fall from, say, Chicago to New York will have a decidedly different passenger demographic than a Saturday flight in the summer from Chicago to Orlando.

That is, in fact, exactly the situation. A Monday morning nonstop from Boston to LA.

I've seen this situation crop up on some of my flights, and eventually someone is always willing to switch. If need be, you may wish to sweeten the pot by offering to buy the switcher a drink or an in-flight meal.

What a lovely suggestion! I will defintely keep this in mind.

And thank you for your other comments, as well. :D

Archived