ROLL CALL Spirit 8/20/12 and 8/27/12 Voyages

are wehavingfunyet

We ( Howard and Rita) are on the Venice to Monte Carlo voyage. Fifth time on SS but first on Spirit. I'm sure you will be pleased. We are taking a private tour in Amalfi and have room for 2-4 more. I will provide details if you are interested.

Great. We have also been to those sites and wanted to do something new. We have arranged a 9-5 tour of the coast in a "luxury car/van" depending on the number of people. We will spend time in Ravello, driving along the coast, and Positano, where we will have lunch. The company has been very responsive and gets great reviews on trip advisor. The cost for4 is 400 Euro total and for 5-8 it is 450 Euros. Lunch is 25 Euro per person extra. I can forward you the email chain if you would like and if you send me your email. Howard

We are looking at that cruise. Trying to decide what cabin level to choose and which deck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If we do go we would look at hiring some private tour guides...if you are interested.

Are you thinking about Athens- Venice or Venice - Monaco? Or both? We generally prefer not to take the ships' excursions, and are looking to share tours in a number of ports. The tour Howard has arranged in Sorrento includes Ravello, Positano, and a lunch stop and should be spectacular. Can't wait for that one. Linda.

Bobgads: Hope you join us. If you are on the Venice to Monte Carlo voyage, I'd be happy to give you information about the Amalfi tour. I have not been on the Spirit so I can't offer cabin advice. Howard

We are close to pulling the trigger on these B2B cruises. Trying to choose between Mid ship Veranda and Silver...all about cost. We would be interested in some private tours. Let me know if anyone is interested. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bobgads - re: 5223. We did a similar itinerary with Crystal - it was spectacular. You definitely want your own tour in Ephesus in order to take in all the sights. Terrace houses are not to be missed.

I was in Turkey again recently and can offer Istanbul suggestions as well - very easy to do on your own. Tram stops near the ship and the major sights are all near one another other than Chora Church, which is a taxi ride away and definitely worth seeing if you have the time.

I have gotten information on private tours in Kotor and Split from someone going there on Celebrity. They look pretty comprehensive. Let us know what you decide. Linda

Bogads: we are only on the second leg, but if you send me your email I can give you information on a great guide we used in Istanbul and information on the tour we are doing in Amalfi with Linda and Phil. Howard

Are you thinking about Athens- Venice or Venice - Monaco? Or both? We generally prefer not to take the ships' excursions, and are looking to share tours in a number of ports. The tour Howard has arranged in Sorrento includes Ravello, Positano, and a lunch stop and should be spectacular. Can't wait for that one. Linda.

Look forward to hearing from you. You cn reach me at bobgads@aol.com.

Bobgads - re: 5223. We did a similar itinerary with Crystal - it was spectacular. You definitely want your own tour in Ephesus in order to take in all the sights. Terrace houses are not to be missed.

I was in Turkey again recently and can offer Istanbul suggestions as well - very easy to do on your own. Tram stops near the ship and the major sights are all near one another other than Chora Church, which is a taxi ride away and definitely worth seeing if you have the time.

I have gotten information on private tours in Kotor and Split from someone going there on Celebrity. They look pretty comprehensive. Let us know what you decide. Linda

I wod appreciate your sharing your suggestion. I think we will be joining the cruse but have not committed yet. You can reach me at bobgads@aol.com.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be taking 5224 [Athens to Venice] and 5225 [Venice to Monte Carlo] on the Spirit and are first time SilverSea passengers. Anyone else coming along? Any advice?

We (Rich and Elena) will be on this cruise, too. Greetings all!

Thanks Linda. Usually we don't pre-book guided tours, preferring to book something at the dock or explore on our own. But we're always open to interesting ideas. What tours are you thinking of?

Rich

We are usually not fans of ship excursions and try to do as much on our own as possible. We have never just picked up a taxi at the pier, but am not opposed to that method and wish we had done so in Tunisia instead of taking a ship tour.

In Monemvasia I think we will wander on our own, although going to Mystra may have some appeal. In Corfu, we plan to rent a car and explore the island on our own. I have looked into private tours in Kotor and Split, and am wondering if we should consider one of those. Venice we will do on our own of course. If you would like to discuss this further, here is my email address: lsmeadephd at aol dot com. Linda

Archived