Need A Few Quick Answers

teb3

We're leaving Wed. for St. Petersburg then down to Moscow on the MS Tolstoi using Travel All Russia.

How much (and who) do you tip - example the driver who picks us up at the airport or just meals that are not onboard the ship? We will have both Rubles and USD with us.

Also, how much do we tip at the end of the cruise for the porter, etc.

Anyone have any general comments on this particular tour operator and vessel?

First river adventure for us but couple we're traveling with has done a lot, just not Russia before.

TEB3

Hi teb3! My daughter and I will be on the ms Russ next month (through travel all russia). You ask good questions!

This is what was posted on TripAdvisor (who is usually fairly reliable): Tipping is increasingly encouraged in Russia. 10 to 15% is the accepted rate of tipping for restaurant servers and coat check and luggage attendants. If there is no waiter in a restaurant or bar, a tip is not encouraged. Tip amounts vary as many establishments do not use credit cards, so costs are often rounded to the nearest whole number. Tips should not be too small, but they should not be too large, either. Keep in mind that the tipping rate depends not only on the quality of service, but also the tipper’s desire to impress a watchful public. Foreign tourists, particularly Americans, are perceived by some to be “rich,” and thus to have disposable income for tipping. You can tip drivers or tour guides up to $10 per day, and housekeeping staff the equivalent of $1 to $2 in Rubles, usually left in an ashtray daily.

4 other sites that I checked seem to back that up, all mentioning 10% as recommended and normal.

This is from the Travel All Russia website:

Tips are common in Russia but are usually smaller than in the US. For a good experience in a restaurant a 10% gratuity is considered a generous tip.

Giving a tip to a guide or driver on a private tour

If you have booked one of our private tours and would like to give some gratuity to your guide, the recommend amount is $20 for each 8 hours of work. If your guide worked with you for 4 hours, the recommended amount is $10. If you would like to give a tip to your driver, the recommended amount is $5-8 for 8 hours of work.

Please note, it is always at your own discretion to leave a tip or not. We do not require our customers to tip on any of our tours or cruises. We recommend a certain percentage only if you are satisfied with the service and feel comfortable leaving gratuity.

Also note, on a land tour you will have the same guide for your entire stay in each city.

Giving a tip to a guide and drivers on a group tour

If you have booked one of our small group tours, the recommended amount for a tip is the same as on a private tour. If there are 10 travelers, each can contribute from $2-3 for 8 hours of work by the guide. We recommend that someone collects the money from the rest of the group and presents it to the guide.

Giving tips on a river cruise

On river cruises, there will be a special box at the reception desk to leave a tip for the crew. In other words, you don't need to tip while on the cruise. Our general guideline for tips is to leave from $5-10 per day depending on how much you enjoyed your cruise.

Tip: You can tip in dollars, Euros, and rubles. $1 equals about 30 rubles. 300 rubles is about $10.

Here's the link if you want to read more. They have travel tips too.

http://www.travelallrussia.com/while-in-russia/

Please come back and tell us about your cruise experience!

Have fun!

Thanks Pixie,

We had read those but just wanted to check if that was current information - they all seem to "lag" somewhat with posting new suggestions.

teb3

teb3, on the Russian River Cruise threads, as well as the review of a trip posted yesterday, I think everything is pretty accurate. The only different might be on tipping for the crew on your ship. Other's have posted higher tips $15 to $17pp per day, but those were also on more upscale cruises and ships. On the day tours I heard/read something like, $2-$5 per person for the tour guide each day and $1-$2pp for the bus driver.

I also heard there are often special "fees" if you want to take your camera in and take pictures inside many of the churches and museums. I haven't heard this from any of our recent (in the last 2 weeks) cruisers, but was fairly common as of last years cruising season.

Bring mosquito repellent, hand sanitizer and your own TP (if you like it soft and comfortable) according to the recent posters.

Lisa

Archived