Mykonos - is it skipped often?

emilee

Hello, just wondering if this is an often skipped port and if so does anyone know what other option they would substitute in for Mykonos if skipped? We are going in September. Thanks!

My guess is Crime! my wife and I were robbed on shore by 2 armed men and found out later when i filed a complaint,that the island has a high crime rate according to the US Embassy. I was told that They pray off tourists and then hop an inter island ferry and leave after they get what they want.Another thing to know is that the police are NOT your friends!

Hello, I am sorry about the posters that were robbed there, however, I was wondering if it is replaced with another stop if you can not tender to that island? Also, does weather frequently lead to the island being skipped? Thanks!

Years ago, aboard Wind Spirit, we were forced to skip Mykonos due to weather. Heard that happens somewhat frequently. Visited Monemvasia instead, a charming medieval castle town. Much less touristy than Mykonos. We were not disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from the Istanbul to Athens itinerary on June 3. We arrived in Mykonos on our last evening, and had a nice morning there. We tendered in as they no longer pull into the dock.

Mykonos is a charming little island, but after Santorini, I didn't find it all that interesting. We visited the abandoned windmills, which you can only see from the outside, then walked around and did a little last minute shopping. While it's lovely, it probably wouldn't be tragic to miss it. The ship put out it's swim mats and opened up the sports platform, so many of us spent the afternoon in the water, although the water temp. the first of June is quite "refreshing." :o

Did that itinerary 2 summers ago and it is the BEST of Windstar in my opinion. Mykonos can be fun if you taxi or bus to the beach or simply walk around and EAT. No telling what the weather will bring re: cancellation. Summer often brings the meltemi...strong winds. Enjoy. I'll be back August 25th. You'll love the days in Turkey.

• 1 month later...
Hello, just wondering if this is an often skipped port and if so does anyone know what other option they would substitute in for Mykonos if skipped? We are going in September. Thanks!

We are doing IST - Athens on August 4th and just noticed the stated itinerary online has substituted Monemvasia for Mykynos. Perhaps that is due to the crime mentioned above? I haven't been to either, but it may be for the best.

Stay in touch if you want me to follow up -- we are back on the 14th of August

I would think if Windstar was concerned about crime that they would switch the port for all the sailings and not just the Aug 4th one.

We have friends who were just on Mykonos last week and they said they felt safe. Perhaps what happened to the earlier poster (and it was truly horrible) is more of an anomaly then something that happens on a regular basis. That being said, it's always better to be aware of these things and to keep your wits about you.

Archived