Suite Bridge Tour vs Backstage Pass

We are booked in a GS for our upcoming cruise on Navigator. I seem to recall a thread where some mentioned you can ask your concierge to arrange a tour of the bridge. My questions are:

1. Can the concierge always do this, or is it the luck of the draw?
  2. If the concierge can arrange the tour, is it only the bridge or do you get to see other areas of the ship?
  3. Are the Backstage Pass tours offered on all cruises or occaisionally?
  4. If we end up deciding to go with the Backstage Pass tour, is it best to have the concierge arrange it since I understand space is limited?

Sorry for so many questions, but I want to make sure we make the right decision. The two areas we really want to see are the bridge and the kitchen. I think there are other areas involved with the Backstage Pass tour which would be great (houskeeping / laundry?) to see.

Thanks everyone for your help and feedback.

We are booked in a GS for our upcoming cruise on Navigator. I seem to recall a thread where some mentioned you can ask your concierge to arrange a tour of the bridge. My questions are:
  2. If the concierge can arrange the tour, is it only the bridge or do you get to see other areas of the ship?
  4. If we end up deciding to go with the Backstage Pass tour, is it best to have the concierge arrange it since I understand space is limited?

Sorry for so many questions, but I want to make sure we make the right decision. The two areas we really want to see are the bridge and the kitchen. I think there are other areas involved with the Backstage Pass tour which would be great (houskeeping / laundry?) to see.

I would love the answers to all the same questions, our next cruise will also be in a suite and wanted to know about the concierge and how it works because we have never been in a suite before.

Okay, I have not cruised a whole lot in suites, but every time I have, a bridge tour has been offered. Most of the time, a galley tour has been too. Same thing with the backstage tour (which is of the theater area). It seems as though I have gotten some sort of query from the concierge or loyal ambassador asking me what I might be interested in doing. You are asked to turn in your response by a certain time and then they get back to you with a time for your requested tour(s).

Okay, I have not cruised a whole lot in suites, but every time I have, a bridge tour has been offered. Most of the time, a galley tour has been too. Same thing with the backstage tour (which is of the theater area). It seems as though I have gotten some sort of query from the concierge or loyal ambassador asking me what I might be interested in doing. You are asked to turn in your response by a certain time and then they get back to you with a time for your requested tour(s).

Your description of the situation matches mine. As a Diamond Plus member who only occasionally books a suite, we usually receive a form from either the concierge or the loyalty ambassador inviting us to participate in a bridge tour, galley tour, and/or a backstage tour. The invitation requests a response by a certain date. We have taken one or more of these tours on each of our cruises and found them quite interesting. Now they are offering the "All Access Tour" at a cost of $150 pp but I have yet to read anything that would lead me to believe that those tours are worth the additional cost compared to what we have experienced on the free tours (including one which took us into the engine control room.

The last time we sailed on Freedom was the second time in a suite. It was the first time we were offered the Bridge tour, and Galley tour.

Bridge tour..............AWESOME. Would do it again in the drop of a hat.

Galley tour...........ok, probably would not do again, too long...........

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

You can ask the Concierge for all of the above, and he will put you on the list.

We have been on 10(?) bridge tours?

Just ask the Concierge the first evening.

Remember...the more he does for you, the bigger the tip.

Just a tip...be sure to pack closed-toed shoes to wear on the tours...they are required in order to participate!

I've done the various tours on the Navigator and have always enjoyed them. I've also done the All-Access Tours on both the Navigator and the Freedom, and enjoyed them as well. I did think the one on the Freedom was better, though.

I wanted to also mention that there is a nice folder in your suite that lists all the various perks of your cabin. I sure recommend looking through it as soon as you can, once you get to your cabin, so you can take full advantage of the benefits you can enjoy! And if you are into music, take your favorite CDs to listen to...your suite will have a great TV/stereo set-up, complete with Bose surround-sound speakers.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I am so excited about this upcoming cruise (so much so we booked the Monarch to "tide us over" until November) we want to make sure we leverage the "benefits" as much as possible.

On our last cruise was the first time we the Backstage Pass / All Access tour was offered. We were extremely interested, but had never heard of it and the price seemed a little high. After reading several threads about it, I wish we had taken it.

Planning for November we were talking today and it came up again as a possibility. I wanted to make sure the concierge could arrange it or we will ask them to put us on the list for the All Access tour.

Regarding gratuities, we usally add to the Waiter, Assistant Waiter, and Stateroom Attendants as we have always had exceptional service and feel they deserve more. I am looking over the guidelines and don't see a guideline listed for the concierge. Is there a recommended "daily"? We at least want to make sure we hit that and if we have additional requests we will supplement from there.

Thanks again...

Just a tip...be sure to pack closed-toed shoes to wear on the tours...they are required in order to participate!

I've done the various tours on the Navigator and have always enjoyed them. I've also done the All-Access Tours on both the Navigator and the Freedom, and enjoyed them as well. I did think the one on the Freedom was better, though.

I wanted to also mention that there is a nice folder in your suite that lists all the various perks of your cabin. I sure recommend looking through it as soon as you can, once you get to your cabin, so you can take full advantage of the benefits you can enjoy! And if you are into music, take your favorite CDs to listen to...your suite will have a great TV/stereo set-up, complete with Bose surround-sound speakers.

Excellent!!! Great suggestion. We usually board as early as possible, so my gameplan will be to hit the room as soon as it is available to review our benefits.

Music is great - I wonder if we can plug our iPhone in? Do they have a dock?

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I am so excited about this upcoming cruise (so much so we booked the Monarch to "tide us over" until November) we want to make sure we leverage the "benefits" as much as possible.

On our last cruise was the first time we the Backstage Pass / All Access tour was offered. We were extremely interested, but had never heard of it and the price seemed a little high. After reading several threads about it, I wish we had taken it.

Planning for November we were talking today and it came up again as a possibility. I wanted to make sure the concierge could arrange it or we will ask them to put us on the list for the All Access tour.

Regarding gratuities, we usally add to the Waiter, Assistant Waiter, and Stateroom Attendants as we have always had exceptional service and feel they deserve more. I am looking over the guidelines and don't see a guideline listed for the concierge. Is there a recommended "daily"? We at least want to make sure we hit that and if we have additional requests we will supplement from there.

Thanks again...

Good question on tipping the concierge, our last cruise we had a GS on Voyager OTS out of Venice. Sought advice on how much to tip and the amounts were all over the map. Decided before hand to tip him $25-$50, however once I boarded the ship and he did a good job for us, we decided to make it $75. He seemed to appreciate the tip, but I still do not know how appropriate that amount was. Would love to hear others thoughts on this.

Excellent!!! Great suggestion. We usually board as early as possible, so my gameplan will be to hit the room as soon as it is available to review our benefits.

Music is great - I wonder if we can plug our iPhone in? Do they have a dock?

Only Allure of the Seas has docks for MP3 players or IPODs. There are electric outlets in every stateroom but no speaker systems that you can plug your IPhone into unless, possibly in a suite, and I am not sure about that.:) I have a small portable speaker system that I can plug my IPOD into, that would do the job.

You sign up for the All-Access Tour at the Guest Relations Desk. The tour is usually offered twice during a 7-day tour.

And as others have mentioned, you'll have more fruit and cheese plates provided for you in your suite than you will probably eat. So save your money and don't pre-order similar items online that you have to pay for.

You'll never be able to bring enough clothes to fill all the closets and drawers in your suite! In fact, you'll need to make sure you check every nook and cranny so you don't leave something behind when your cruise is over.

I have numerous pix of my grand suite on the Navigator stored on my iPhone. I wish I was savvy enough to post them here for you to see...you'd be doubly excited with what's in store for you!!!!!!!!! Enjoy!

If you're into a good soak at bathtime, bring along some special bath products...your tub in the suite is DEEP and perfect for a leisurely bubble bath...

We received invitations in our suite for a bridge tour and a galley tour. Yes, you can ask the Conceriege but I think it's automatic to receive an invitation.

Mariner GS have an iPod/iPhone dock. There was also a fantastic new big flat screen TV and DVD player and DVDs are available from the Conceriege.

I had a chance to do the All Access Tour on Navagator in April and all though price seemed high I really enjoyed it.It was @ 31/2 hour long ,saw bridge,engine control room,area where garbage is handled,we were it the storage area where they keep ship supplies,way down below in laundry area,I95,galley tour,backstage,down though crew areas.Many areas of the ship most will never see even some crew.It was on last sea day and yes you sign up at guest relations.Sailing on Allure next year and if they offer it would do it again:D

We received invitations in our suite for a bridge tour and a galley tour. Yes, you can ask the Conceriege but I think it's automatic to receive an invitation.

Mariner GS have an iPod/iPhone dock. There was also a fantastic new big flat screen TV and DVD player and DVDs are available from the Conceriege.

I agree that I think it's automatic to receive the invitation. The last time we didn't receive a confirmation until Friday for the bridge tour on Saturday. I think the galley tour requires closed toe shoes. I've always worn sandals on the bridge tour. What impresses me the most about the bridge is the gorgeous, soothing blue color of the walls and the carpet. I've always wished that the staterooms were the same colors :-)

I agree that I think it's automatic to receive the invitation. The last time we didn't receive a confirmation until Friday for the bridge tour on Saturday. I think the galley tour requires closed toe shoes. I've always worn sandals on the bridge tour. What impresses me the most about the bridge is the gorgeous, soothing blue color of the walls and the carpet. I've always wished that the staterooms were the same colors :-)

We have not had the fortune to be in a suite before but on our upcoming Radiance Alaska Cruise departing July 13, my in-laws are booked in a junior suite. Is the opportunity for a tour for them a possibility or is this only for the higher level suites? Thanks!

On the Radiance i did both the all access tour and suite bridge tour in 1 day. The two visits were only 30 min apart.. The security person doing the wanding recognized me from the first tour when entering for the second. the tour it self was the same with the person giving the tour being different. On the all access tour the second officer gave the tour. On the suite tour The captain was the one showing us around.. I ended up seeing the captain around the ship so many times. he recognized me standing on the dock a week after getting off and leaned out the window to say hi.

We have not had the fortune to be in a suite before but on our upcoming Radiance Alaska Cruise departing July 13, my in-laws are booked in a junior suite. Is the opportunity for a tour for them a possibility or is this only for the higher level suites? Thanks!

It has been my experience that the tours are offered just to those in Grand Suites and above or those with Diamond Plus C&A status. (I think the Backstage tour is offered to those with Diamond Status.)

It has been my experience that the tours are offered just to those in Grand Suites and above or those with Diamond Plus C&A status. (I think the Backstage tour is offered to those with Diamond Status.)

This is correct from what we've experienced.

We usually sail in OS, and have not routinely been offered tours. We have done both a bridge tour and backstage tour (both on Voyager class) and agree that they are well worth doing, especially the bridge tour. They were arranged by the concierge.

Archived