Breakfast for 4 in PH1?

HeadSurferGrande

Hi,

We will be on our first O cruise in July (Venice to Barcelona) with our children (14 and 20), we are in a PH1 and our children in a veranda stateroom (b1), I'm wondering if we can take our hot breakfast together in our PH1?

There would be no objection to your inviting them in as your guests once or twice during the cruise, but not on a regular basis.

Of course an early and WELL compensated Butler, might be inclined to bend the rules in your favor, but even then you (and the kids) would have to keep the arrangement quiet, so as not to inflame public opinion.

I'm also wondering about what ship are you on?

I've been on many a PH on the "R" ships and I don't see how four people could have breakfast in the room. At least not comfortably.

If you are on Marina or Riviera, it might work ... but I haven't been in a PH on those ships so I can't say. (I'm sure Jim&Stan could!) Our one time on an "O" ship so far was in a Vista, and then, YES, four of could sit at the table.

In smaller cabins it could be a problem. And as Jim&Stan say, you probably couldn't make a regular thing of it anyway (unless you have a wonderful butler who loves young people and is willing to make it work).

Once we sailed on O with my mother (back in 2003) we discovered (it was her preference) that having breakfast in the GDR is a real delight. She enjoyed the Terrace Cafe, but she really preferred going into the GDR ... and we came to agree. (For one thing, we don't eat as much as we do at the buffet!)

We do tend to have breakfast in our cabin when we have an early tour. But if we don't, or it's a sea day, we probably will go up to the GDR. We agree that the Terrace Cafe on the "O" ships is pretty special as well but on our Marina cruise last October we never got there because we only had one sea day, and on that day we had breakfast in the GDR ...

We like the buffet on the "R" ships, but the space is smaller. (If people are trying to get off the ship quickly for a tour, then the buffet is something we avoid anyway.)

Mura

P.S. Don't get me wrong ... we loved the Vista Suite, but if Oceania hadn't bribed us to leave another cruise we wouldn't have been in such luxurious digs! This certainly is not where we usually travel ... we like suites, yes, but we're too frugal (!) to book the highest ones.

There would be no objection to your inviting them in as your guests once or twice during the cruise, but not on a regular basis.

Of course an early and WELL compensated Butler, might be inclined to bend the rules in your favor, but even then you (and the kids) would have to keep the arrangement quiet, so as not to inflame public opinion.

As a newbie, I'd like an explanation of this. Would it be frowned upon because it would be considered that you were having a "party", and asking for catering of that party?

As someone coming from Regent, I know that they don't tend to cater to parties in your suite, unless you're in one of the top suites. But I would have thought that a family having breakfast together would be treated as a more relaxed event, and one that would be supported. And on R, you can certainly organize your own party, without asking for special consideration or catering.

As for the OP, what you could do would be to just order more food for two than you're going to eat, and then just have your kids come and share it. What could possibly be wrong with that?

Jim's response is right on point. An early "acknowledgement" of the added work for your butler will eliminate any possible concern over the bending of the rules. I'm not sure if there would be any concern, regardless. Jim would have a better sense of this.

BTW, I am speaking from first hand knowledge. We just got off the MV for the Riviera. We were traveling with my daughter and significant other. I had asked Jim before departing on the cruise if it was possible to have the "kids" dine with us in our suite. His recommendation to me was the same as he has given to the OP. I must say that after that, our butler was very attentive to anything the kids wanted (whether they were with us or not).

To the OP's original thought as to doing breakfast with the kids in their suite: a while back we did a Baltic cruise with our son and daughter with Oceania. Their ages at the time were 14 and 17. This was a very port intensive cruise, and we had several early morning tours booked. I think I had the same concern as perhaps the OP, in as far as getting the kids up and going and having some breakfast before the tours. What I discovered: the kids LOVED the breakfast buffet served in the Terrace Cafe. As such, no worries about breakfast. I just gave them a courtesy wake up call on these mornings. :)

Just finished our port intensive cruise on Riviera (9 ports in 8 days after we left Venice), 6 of us met nearly every day for breakfast in the Grand Dining Room. As we were nearly the only folks there, we were treated with superb, quick service, the freshest of meals (prepared to order) and hovering servers. We were out within one hour every day. Perhaps not as quick as rusing around on the Terrace, but not much slower than waiting in line for omelettes and toast. Definitely worth getting up a few minutes sooner.

The only reason I hesitate to say more about it, is beause if more guests do it, we won't have 4 to 6 waiters to ourselves next time...;)

By the time your kids travel from a B1 to your PH, and the butler gets everything set up, you could all easily go to either the Terrace or the GD and dine in comfort. In your suite, the butler would most lilely have to set up two different tables, because the tables are too small for four. I agree with the others, not much room for all that to happen.

We're traveling on the Riviera. There are four of us in two PH3s. Is there room in one PH to have dinner for four?

Yes, but the Butler won't have room to serve course by course, once the four of you are seated at the table, and at least two of you will have to sit on either the bed or the love seat.

I suppose theoretically you could arrange the two L-shaped chairs from the foot of the bed, the desk chair and the occasional chair around a table, but they are all different heights and someone would be uncomfortable. The problem as I see it is that neither of the tables, even with the add-on table top, are large enough for four place settings. The only way I can see it would be to have two people at the foot of the bed and two people sharing the loveseat and desk chair at the coffee table. I don't think I would enjoy it very much.

Sort of like our very first apartment, before the dining table arrived, when we had dinner on stools at an ironng board. That was OK for newlyweds at age 25 and a memory that brings giggles, but not up to our present standards.

ISort of like our very first apartment, before the dining table arrived, when we had dinner on stools at an ironng board. That was OK for newlyweds at age 25 and a memory that brings giggles, but not up to our present standards.

I think there are many of us who "sacrificed" at 25 in ways we wouldn't be willing to do anymore.

OTOH, my parents bought a new house in 1968 (Dad would have been 58 and Mom 51) and they celebrated my mother's birthday with close friends sitting on boxes while they ate dinner ... the furniture wasn't in yet.

Mura

I suppose theoretically you could arrange the two L-shaped chairs from the foot of the bed, the desk chair and the occasional chair around a table, but they are all different heights and someone would be uncomfortable. The problem as I see it is that neither of the tables, even with the add-on table top, are large enough for four place settings.

Don, where would they serve dinner in this suite to two people? Do they have a table-top that they put over the little table, or the coffee table? Just curious.

Don, where would they serve dinner in this suite to two people? Do they have a table-top that they put over the little table, or the coffee table? Just curious.

Wendy,

There is a small table with two chairs at the foot of the bed where the Butler sets up breakfast or dinner (course by course). You still have a sitting area with the coffee table and couch/chair but that is not where a meal would be served in the Penthouse Suites.

On Silversea and Regent.....Your Butler brings in a table top and puts it on top of the coffee table by the couch.

Just a different set up.

Thanks for the info.

Has anyone actually tried to do a meal for four in a penthouse?

We're traveling with my sister and brother-in-law in 2 PHs and the idea of a course by course together in our cabin is very appealing.

I'm guessing this has come up before on the Marina and maybe the resourceful butler can bring in a table and the two chairs from the other cabin.

Thanks

Eliot

Thanks for the info.

Has anyone actually tried to do a meal for four in a penthouse?

We're traveling with my sister and brother-in-law in 2 PHs and the idea of a course by course together in our cabin is very appealing.

I'm guessing this has come up before on the Marina and maybe the resourceful butler can bring in a table and the two chairs from the other cabin.

Thanks

Eliot

I don't know how big you picture the Penthouses as being, there there literally is not floor space enough for four people to sit at a table and have somebody wait at table.

o-staterooms-3d-ph1.jpg

Bringing in more furniture would only make the problem worse.

If you're willing to have them stack the food, and "pass it around amongst yourselves", it might work, but in general terms the "ordering in" option is more for convenience in a penthouse, not for entertaining.

Regardless whether or not the butler is financially compensated, in order to spend more time and effort to set up and serve four people in one of the "smaller" penthouses which were designed to serve two people, it takes away from the time he or she can spend to serve all other penthouse guests who are serviced by the same buter.

I think Wendy's suggestion of "As for the OP, what you could do would be to just order more food for two than you're going to eat, and then just have your kids come and share it" might be OK once or twice, assuming the kids come eat after the butler has left the room and the OP and you all figure out how to divvy up the food and where to sit. However, the more food the butler brings, the more work for the butler, too, so four servings of Eggs Benedict, four more of this or that, four juices, well, you get the idea...

Entertaining is best done in the OVO (Oceania, Vista and Owner's) suites and they are beautifully designed for that.

We are in an Oceania Suite and are traveling with our children, and we would like to have breakfast or dinner once or twice in the suite with them. Is that going to be a problem. We will be 5 adults.

We are in an Oceania Suite and are traveling with our children, and we would like to have breakfast or dinner once or twice in the suite with them. Is that going to be a problem. We will be 5 adults.

It won't be an issue in an Oceania Suite, which has a dedicated dining area and is designed for entertaining.

Cabin-3-Other-Rooms-6.jpg

....but you will want to incent the Butler ;)

Here's a diagram of your Deck 12 Oceania Suite:

o-staterooms-3d-oc.jpg

The desk chair appears to match the four chairs already at the table, so you will even be color-coordinated ;)

I can't wait to cruise in one of the Oceania Suites.

JimandStan,

A happy butler makes the cruise so much more enjoyable. We have always taken very good care of the butlers that we have had on Regent, and in turn they have taken excellent care of us.

Here's a diagram of your Deck 12 Oceania Suite:

o-staterooms-3d-oc.jpg

The desk chair appears to match the four chairs already at the table, so you will even be color-coordinated ;)

I can't wait to cruise in one of the Oceania Suites.

You'll love the Oceania Suite, but the desk chair is nothing like the chairs at the table. It also weighs a TON, so much that bringing in another chair probably makes more sense.

101349.jpg Here, with the room is set up for a Cocktail Party, you can see how different they are.

You'll love the Oceania Suite, but the desk chair is nothing like the chairs at the table. It also weighs a TON, so much that bringing in another chair probably makes more sense.

101349.jpg Here, with the room is set up for a Cocktail Party, you can see how different they are.

Thank you for the photo. In the diagram the chairs look very similar.

I would still, of course, like to cruise in an Oceania Suite. :)

(P.S. and the cocktail party setup looks terrific.)

I'm probably in the minority but based on our Vista suite last year, I don't think it would be comfortable for five adults -- I haven't seen an Oceania suite yet, so I'm going by the Vista. If they can put a larger top on the dining table, then I'm sure it would be fine. But the table we had in the VS was definitely not large enough for five people to sit there. Yes, there was a fifth chair at the desk so chairs aren't the problem (and even if they were, I'm sure you could ask your butler to have another one brought in). But the table isn't that large.

I understand tipping is very personal but I'm trying to get a rough guideline. I'm assuming this is in addition to the $18.50 per person per day that is given at the end of the cruise. So for a 10 day cruise in the Oceania cabin on the Riviera is $100-$200 at the beginning of the cruise a decent amount?

Thanks for any insight. This will be our first time on O and really looking forward to it.

Archived