Why won't aussie TA's pass on savings with cruise price reductions

What is it with aussie TA's not passing on anything when there is a price reduction? Our Spirit cruise in Oct has gone down $700pp and our online TA won't budge. The new prices are for new customers only she said.:confused: What a crock. An advertised price is an advertised price. They said I could cancel my cruise and rebook but I would lose my $800 deposit.:mad:$1400 is a significant amount for a reduction. And they wonder why alot of aussies book their cruises with international TA's.

Guess it's just like we order a new car, and a week later we see it advertised at a cheaper price, or furniture or any other item.

I am with you, being an aussie I am envious of those from the USA with all the extra perks they can get.

That being said I seriously considered booking my next Med cruise through a US site. I had no reply from a couple I contacted, others I was able to call and speak with but their price was several hundred dollars more than the aussie site I had found. I guess time will tell whether I should have gone with the US site with flexability to cancel and rebook without penalty if price drops. The prices on the US sites dont seem to include tax, and I frequently found the "true" cost was 10% more than the website. In the end I went with the aussie site, have to also consider my bank conversion charges for paying by credit card on top of the credit card surcharges, that would add another couple of hundred dollars.

What is it with aussie TA's not passing on anything when there is a price reduction? Our Spirit cruise in Oct has gone down $700pp and our online TA won't budge. The new prices are for new customers only she said.:confused: What a crock. An advertised price is an advertised price. They said I could cancel my cruise and rebook but I would lose my $800 deposit.:mad:$1400 is a significant amount for a reduction. And they wonder why alot of aussies book their cruises with international TA's.

there are some aussie online TA's that will pass on any savings but we cant mention names

We always get the savings from cruise price reductions, but you have to keep an eye out for them on the site and notify your TA when they occur.

You're in good hands if your TA passes them on without your notification.

I have also heard that some TA's won't pass on discounts.

I have just asked for a reduction on our 2 dayer on the RCL board the price has gone from $550 to $342...but I booked os so it should be OK. The big problem here is the deposits...in the states deposits are only small so cancelling and rebooking to take advantage of the "new bookings only" is no big deal..here they often want big deposits:( But I do see positive signs that things are slowly changing.

Sue

I am also going on the spirit, and I booked thru a TA. When looking at the carnival website, I noticed they had reduced prices, so I contacted the TA, who was all too happy to pass on this reduction. they did tell me that it was once off tho. but I saved over $1000.

Must be hard on the OZ TA's to change the prices. I asked RCCI for some onboard credit that was being advertised on a cruise that I had booked earlier.

Price for the cruise had not changed but the offer of onboard credit was for new bookings only.

The cruise does not leave until April 2013 and I thought the RCCI were being a bit tight over a few lousy onboard credits.

Lesson learnt.... make sure you book with an agency that will deliver on the price drops, ask before you book. There are agencies out there in Australia that will do this very easily and very happy to do so. I wish I could tell you about the agency we deal with in Australia but it is against the rules, and we do book with overseas TA's as well (we are allowed to with Princess) but our TA in Australia is very competitive and won out on our next cruise (cheaper than our two TA's in the US and more OBC).

We just found out that our 2013 cruise had a price drop and rang them up and had the fare dropped by $1000, no loss of OBC, no loss of deposit, same room that we picked previously and no charges for doing so, all done in a matter of half an hour or so. It can be done, so the lesson is.... don't book with this TA again and let everyone you know that they don't help you when you need it.

Must be hard on the OZ TA's to change the prices. I asked RCCI for some onboard credit that was being advertised on a cruise that I had booked earlier.

Price for the cruise had not changed but the offer of onboard credit was for new bookings only.

The cruise does not leave until April 2013 and I thought the RCCI were being a bit tight over a few lousy onboard credits.

That's standard to be new bookings only, and not one they waive. It'd be too easy for people to cancel and re-book picking up the bonus OBC so it's a standard rule they have. Never heard it being waived and I wouldn't expect it to be, as then a lot of other passengers would demand the same thing and get more annoyed when they didn't get it!

There has been extensive discussion around this topic - particularly for the overseas cruises - on Trip Advisor boards here: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruises.html

All those people who have experienced great Oz TA's can post details on this forum if you want to share ;). I don't understand the reasoning of not being able to post details of a company you have had a great experience with on CC forums..:confused:

I recently had a similar experience with my TA and even with the cancellation fees, we were able to upgrade from F1 to E2 cabin for $100 less than our original booking - so it pays to ask :)

there are 7,038 topics to hunt through on that page. I am not very computer literate, is there any way you could guide me further to find the recommendations of Aust TA.

Thanks heaps

Tara if you do a google search for cruise agents there's plenty out there and if you give them your email they will send you their specials

there are 7,038 topics to hunt through on that page. I am not very computer literate, is there any way you could guide me further to find the recommendations of Aust TA.

Thanks heaps

TaraJane - it's pinned at the top of the forums titled "Regional Pricing at What Cost" :) You can't miss it if you follow the link. Reading the whole thread is very enlightening.

Oh wow, I have just spent the last 2 or more hours reading every post on that trip advisor website. thanks heaps for pointing it out. I am just tooo scared to look at all the US sites to see their prices. Interesting the company that someone says will match a US price who is linked with a TA has never bothered to return calls or emails so I give them the big heavo!!!

Well people I have a pleasant and surprising update. After initially been refused and OBC or upgrade for the price reduction. My DH emailed Carnival Australia deciding to go straight to the horses mouth stating that they need to take some lessons from our US cruise companies and if they wanted to keep aussies from venturing else where they need to start changing their way's. With success I must say :eek: We will be receiving a cheque to the value of $760 makes me very happy jan:D Our TA was very apologetic and felt the first decision was not satisfactory but are very happy with the result.

Well people I have a pleasant and surprising update. After initially been refused and OBC or upgrade for the price reduction. My DH emailed Carnival Australia deciding to go straight to the horses mouth stating that they need to take some lessons from our US cruise companies and if they wanted to keep aussies from venturing else where they need to start changing their way's. With success I must say :eek: We will be receiving a cheque to the value of $760 makes me very happy jan:D Our TA was very apologetic and felt the first decision was not satisfactory but are very happy with the result.

Wow, that's the way to do it Aussie! :) Good on you. I must say we have a great Aussie TA who does well by us. :)

Archived