framers Pictures from the Sapphire Princess May 26 cruise, Whittier to Vancouver

framer

The whales were awesome. I had to learned quickly. Conditions were heavy overcast at noontime. I started out using a nikkor 300mm AFS f4 w/ a TC14E extender and a polarizer to cut glare off the water. Problem was I would have to up the ISO more than I wanted to keep my shutter speed up. I took off the polarizer after just a few shots. I did up my ISO from 800 to 1600 at that time to keep my shutter speed over 1/1500. The Orcas' move much faster than the humpbacks. Forget the monopods also. The Orcas' will pop out anywhere then be gone. They approached the boat several times and I quickly took off the TC14E extender. It was good that I did because the whales then went after something next to the boat. It only lasted 2 minutes or less but I could have use a 2nd body with my 105mm for that time, I filled my buffer several times during those few minutes.

After the Orcas' were gone I put the extender back on. It was needed later for some Humpbacks which were much further away.

I was using a Nikon D3s

Nikkor 300mm AFS f4

TC14E

Was using continuous focus and shooting at 9fps in bursts

I used my Nikkor 70-200 AFS VR f2.8 with the TC14E on my last trip but felt I needed more reach to get the detail I wanted.

The Eagle was taken as we got off the boat and it was soaring over our heads. It was handheld 300mm with the tc14e extender. A took 50 shots and 10 are equal to the one posted here.

I took about 400 whale images 50% are keepers and a few real nice.

I got some seal shots also but I have not really checked them yet.

It was a great photo trip.

Now that I'm home I'll get a few more posted.

framer

Hi framer,

Awesome shots, can you be a little more specific as to your location? I'm curious because I'd love to shoot something similar during our cruise next week. Unfortunately for me, I understand Orcas are more common around Vancouver island, and we'll be cruising much that section over our first night out of Vancouver, on our NB itinerary.

The orca pic is stunning. I hope I become proficient enough with my new setup by August to know what the hell I'm doing when i get there. Still working on trying to figure out all the settings, what does this, what does that, etc.

Here a of Sea Lion taken on the whale watching cruise.

AK2_7793.jpg

100%crop

AK2_7793a.jpg

The question to where these were taken. All photos on this thread were taken north of Juneau AK June 30, 2012

framer

Those are great seal shots as well. Thanks for sharing. I upgraded to a D800 a few weeks ago, and I'm renting a Nikkor 200-400mm f/4, so I hope the wildlife is still there when we cruise next week.

About 1/2 way through my Orca encounter they came too close for my set up using 420mm and I ditch the 1.4 extender as quickly as I could. Just as I raised my camera a big female flew out of the water. This is the 6 shot series that took about 3/4 of a second. The 1st three shots were the camera finding focus. They are included to show how fast thing were.

AK2_1.jpg

AK2_2.jpg

AK2_3.jpg

AK2_4.jpg

AK2_5.jpg

AK2_6.jpg

Anyways I thought it an interesting series to post.

framer

Another silly beginner question but I assume most keep their cameras set to auto focus on these whale excursions?

I've only had mine a week and have taken 90% of my photos using manual. Just trying to get a feel for it.

While in Alaska though...guess I'd do about anything to walk away with some good photos. I hate to ask but do any of you pros ever creep over to "auto" mode to catch a good shot. :)

As far as I know, pro level camera don't have an Auto mode. I have a Program mode that I never use. I normally use Aperture mode 90% and use ISO setting to adjust what shutter speed if needed. Learn if your camera has a histgram and learn how to use it adjust your exposer. If set to auto do you have a compensation control? That could be important when on the water with lot of water and sky in the image.

framer

Another silly beginner question but I assume most keep their cameras set to auto focus on these whale excursions?

I've only had mine a week and have taken 90% of my photos using manual. Just trying to get a feel for it.

While in Alaska though...guess I'd do about anything to walk away with some good photos. I hate to ask but do any of you pros ever creep over to "auto" mode to catch a good shot. :)

While it's admirable to try and shoot whales using manual focus, you'll miss almost every shot. Not only use autofocus, but you may want to look at using AI/continous focus. By the time you see the whale, compose the shot, and then try to focus, you'll llikely have missed the key moment. What you can do with the autofocus is pre focus on the spot you anticipate the whale to be - but remember they don't always show up on cue where you expect:).

To the last posters point, on full auto you will likely not be able to use exposure compensation. P/Program mode is a good compromise for you as it functions like auto mode in many ways, with the difference that you have many more adjustments you can make to exposure compenmsation, aperture, shutter speed, etc that you don't in auto only. If you find that you keep overriding to set a particlular aperture or shutter speed, then move to aperture or shutter priorty. Good luck!

L.J.

Orcas move real fast. That 6 shot series was less than a second. I came out of the cabin, saw the whale brake the surface hard and I press the shutter button before the camera was to my eye. Before I really saw anything it was gone. No time to focus or adjust anything. I also was shooting with both eyes open. One in the viewfinder and one on the water.

I have AI servo on my 60D for moving subjects. This is what you mean by continuous focus, right?

Yes. I personally use AI versus Servo for continuous on my 50D and 7D. If you can practice with both on moving subjects you can get a feel with which you prefer.

L.J.

• 1 month later...

Framer...I am so glad I found this thread and got to see your beautiful pictures from the trip. I was on your roll call and kept looking there for any posts from folks on our trip but never saw any. Your photo's are beautiful and if you have a link somewhere to others I sure would be grateful to get it.

I was really sorry to miss getting to meet you and your Marine Mom wife!!!

debi

Archived