Promenade staterooms questions.

We usually get a balcony but we want to do a little cheaper this time around and we have always wanted to try a Promenade stateroom anyway. We think its cool, an inside cabin with a window and a view of something.

My questions are, do these cabins typically sell quickly? I ask because we are looking at a cruise in October to Bermuda, oh sorry on Explorer but because our vacations are not set due to us both starting new jobs recently we might not be able to book till August or Sept. Are they usually sold out by then? Also what is the best place to be in a promenade stateroom? Any special info we made need? Thanks for any help, we will certainly as always appreciate help we get from the veterans on here.:)

We usually get a balcony but we want to do a little cheaper this time around and we have always wanted to try a Promenade stateroom anyway. We think its cool, an inside cabin with a window and a view of something.

My questions are, do these cabins typically sell quickly? I ask because we are looking at a cruise in October to Bermuda, oh sorry on Explorer but because our vacations are not set due to us both starting new jobs recently we might not be able to book till August or Sept. Are they usually sold out by then? Also what is the best place to be in a promenade stateroom? Any special info we made need? Thanks for any help, we will certainly as always appreciate help we get from the veterans on here.:)

I do not think they sell out quickly, however the longer you wait the fewer room choices are available.

The following is a cut and paste is from one of my previouse postings-

"As you can tell from our signature, we have been on the explorer many times.

We always have had a promenade on deck 6 mid ship for the following reasons

Equal distance to fore and aft elevators ( the walk does not bother us, work off some of the over eating).

Great for watching people and parades, Never had a noise problem.

1 flight down to Promenade for sales, shops or cafe for a quick cup of coffee.

The following is information gathered from others and personal observations-

Do NOT book over pub rooms ?575, ?577. ?579 some can hears music from the pub into the night.

Do NOT book over the Champaign Bar or Customer services , when we sailed last year, there was

a LOUD latin band playing on DECK 4 Aquarium loung and the music traveled up the open stairwells

late into the night. someone in our Meet and mingle group said it was terrible, trouble getting to sleep.

The higher up you are the closer to the window you have to get to see the promenade (Sharper angle to look down).

If you book toward the front it will be a long walk every time to the MDR and Windjammer.

Deck 6 is great as it is a few 1-3 deck down to the MDR, no need to wait for an elevator.

Our first cabin was 6283 and we have always booked it or directly across it (see pub warning above)

past and future sailings. We like this location because it is center (fore-aft) center (top to bottom)

where supposedly you have the least amount of rocking and rolling.

Hopefully this will help you choose."

The one item I left off was "MAKE SURE YOU CLOSE THE DRAPES WHEN UNDRESSING OTHERWISE

YOUR NIEGHBORS ACROSS WILL BE TREATED TO A SHOW."

I have done a Promenade stateroom and it was only OK. BUT better than an inside but nowhere near as nice as a balcony.

1. The room is tiny

2. The view from your window is only ok.

3. I had to close my drapes to be feel not exposed to the whole ship

4. They are cheap rooms and I don't spend so much time in a room anyway.

5. You don't have to worry if your neighbor will smoke you out.

We had a promenade on the Freedom last November and I don't believe we would book one again. I agree with the above poster they are okay. We found them quite small and crowded feeling. We missed the balcony and found we didn't relax like we usually do when we can sit out there. It's a personal choice of course if you are the type of cruiser that just sleeps and gets dressed in your cabin it will be fine, if you like to enjoy the balcony then you may regret the choice, we did.

Thanks guys, its just the prices are SO good that we want to try it. I mean its $1,430 for 7 days and that is with taxes and fees. Its too good to pass up, but we might be persuaded to spend 4 or 500 bucks more for a balcony. Thanks again for the help.

I am looking at inside promanade for Allure next year. Just tempted by the money is all.

We were on a balcony FOS and maybe not doing a balcony would be hard

My other thought is that we work so hard during the year that we really just need to relax and just get a balcony

We have had 3 Promenade rooms on three different Voyager class ships (Explorer, Adventure, and Mariner) all on deck 8 center of promenade.

We love them. They are not small .. they are slightly larger than inside. Also on deck 8 the windows are slanted to help you see view the promenade better. You also get a couch plus a love seat (window seat) infront of the window.

We think they are fun rooms. We would rather not pay for a balcony when cruising the Caribbean because we spend such little time in the cabin.

Thanks guys, its just the prices are SO good that we want to try it. I mean its $1,430 for 7 days and that is with taxes and fees. Its too good to pass up, but we might be persuaded to spend 4 or 500 bucks more for a balcony. Thanks again for the help.

You may have already made your reservation but just wanted to tell you that I don't believe you could go wrong with a Promenade Stateroom. Ever since our first Mariner cruise we only book these rooms. I can't remember the room numbers that we had on Mariner but they were the ones overlooking the Cafe Promenade. We chose these because we enjoy being able to see who is at the Cafe since we usually are cruising with family. These rooms are also over retail spaces and they shut down at 9PM (I believe). As mentioned, don't book anything over a Pub or any area that has music as it can go late into the AM. On Freedom rooms 6309, 6311 or 6313 are good choices. I don't like to get above Deck six because of needing to be closer to the window to see out/down. It's great for people watching when you have a few minutes before dinner or your next activity. Good parade viewing. You just can't go wrong in these areas. Good luck!

You may have already made your reservation but just wanted to tell you that I don't believe you could go wrong with a Promenade Stateroom. Ever since our first Mariner cruise we only book these rooms. I can't remember the room numbers that we had on Mariner but they were the ones overlooking the Cafe Promenade. We chose these because we enjoy being able to see who is at the Cafe since we usually are cruising with family. These rooms are also over retail spaces and they shut down at 9PM (I believe). As mentioned, don't book anything over a Pub or any area that has music as it can go late into the AM. On Freedom rooms 6309, 6311 or 6313 are good choices. I don't like to get above Deck six because of needing to be closer to the window to see out/down. It's great for people watching when you have a few minutes before dinner or your next activity. Good parade viewing. You just can't go wrong in these areas. Good luck!

Thank you for that info. I just checked the prices for a balcony and to me its just not worth the 500 extra bucks. I think if we can go, if things line up right with our vacations we are gonna stick with a promenade room. They look cool to me, we want to try it and prices are nice for this cruise. Thanks again guys, feel free to add anything you feel in necessary.

we've done a PR several times and enjoy it. it's priced like an inside but you have the window which makes it seem better.

there is a website that shows you interactive deck plans that you can move over each other to see which rooms are over what stores/pubs/etc. on the promenade. we always have this open to see where the room is whenever we are booking.

just keep an eye on the pricing after you book this and you never know, if the balcony price comes down, you can always move up...

We have had 3 Promenade rooms on three different Voyager class ships (Explorer, Adventure, and Mariner) all on deck 8 center of promenade.

We love them. They are not small .. they are slightly larger than inside. Also on deck 8 the windows are slanted to help you see view the promenade better. You also get a couch plus a love seat (window seat) infront of the window.

We think they are fun rooms. We would rather not pay for a balcony when cruising the Caribbean because we spend such little time in the cabin.

They are not small .. they are slightly larger than inside. Incorrect they are the smallest cabin on the Voyager Class Ships.

The addition of a window to an inside is really nice. However, from a space standpoint, there is a difference: When you have an inside, all your "sitting area" space is first when you walk in, and then the bed. In a PR, that same amount of space is split between the areas before and after the sideways bed. A matter of preference.

My DH and I could not pass each other at the end of the bed it is that narrow. We have done insides and balconies and our promenade stateroom was the smallest. Having the couch and the window seat is nice but they take up space. As I said it's all about the kind of cruiser you are. To us the balcony is part of our enjoyment of the ship and makes for a relaxing getaway. If that isn't a big deal than I would go with the promenade and form your own opinion. You may love it or you will know it's not for you. Your still on a cruise ship and that's the important part.

I've had a PR room twice, once on Adventure and once on Navigator so sister ships to Explorer. I travel solo these days so I certainly didn't find the rooms small on either. I can recommend this site for all Voyager class info.

This pic is of the room on Navigator. As you can see, with the lights on you can see right into the room opposite.... just be aware ;)

384439_10150975444805352_1208254452_n.jpg

We had PR cabins twice, once on Explorer, and most recently on Liberty. Enjoyed them both. I did not find them to be too small at all, and both offered very big savings, which was well worth it to me. On Explorer, we were in 6311, and on Liberty we were in 7627. Both cabins were near the elevators (mid-ship), and both were not over areas of the Promenade that were very noisy. Just be sure to keep the curtains closed when changing clothes....;):)

I wouldn't hesitate to book PR cabins in the future.

We've done Inside(mostly), Promenade, and Balcony cabins. DH and I both agree that if we can't afford the Balcony, we would rather have an Inside than a Promenade. Even though I liked the extra seating space, we did not like the bed set-up. As a previous poster said, itis very difficult to squeeze in front of the bed to get to the sitting area. I found it inconvenient when I was getting ready for dinner to keep going back and forth if I needed to get something from the bathroom. It is much easier when the desk/makeup mirror area is next to the bathroom.

Sorry to disagree but the promenade room we had in the middle on deck 7 was very small,we couldn't pass each other and the sitting area is tiny.Hated keeping the drapes closed when dressing and at night. The above picture shows you how tight it is.

Thanks guys for ALL the help. We have decided that if things line up vacation wise we are gonna do the promenade room, price too good to pass. We like the look of the room on that Voyager website and here is a Explorer promenade tour video on you tube.

James

no one mentioned this but if you decide to get a PR room make sure it doesn't have a conneting door to the next room. Look at the map of the ship!

You can hear just about everything.

Most of those rooms are given when there is a price drop and you get it as a upgrade.

Rocky

James

no one mentioned this but if you decide to get a PR room make sure it doesn't have a conneting door to the next room. Look at the map of the ship!

You can hear just about everything.

Most of those rooms are given when there is a price drop and you get it as a upgrade.

Rocky

Oh wow thanks for the info. I have to make sure to remember that when booking. How can you tell its a "connecting" room? Does it say on each room when booking? Thanks for the heads up.

They are not small .. they are slightly larger than inside. Incorrect they are the smallest cabin on the Voyager Class Ships.

Incorrect .. do your homework. Inside is 150.7 sq ft and Promenade is 160.4 sq ft. BTW - We have had both rooms on Voyager class ships. I did not say it was a lot bigger .. just bigger.

And yes it is tight getting around the bed .. but I will suffer through that for the added seating and the window over the Promenade.

Promenade:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/cabinTypes/cabinType/home.do?br=R&cabincls=I&cabinType=TR&shipCode=EX

Interior:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/cabinTypes/cabinType/home.do?br=R&cabincls=I&cabinType=SI&shipCode=EX

we've done a PR several times and enjoy it. it's priced like an inside but you have the window which makes it seem better.

there is a website that shows you interactive deck plans that you can move over each other to see which rooms are over what stores/pubs/etc. on the promenade. we always have this open to see where the room is whenever we are booking.

just keep an eye on the pricing after you book this and you never know, if the balcony price comes down, you can always move up...

Do you remember the website that you can see what you can view from your room?

We had PR cabins twice, once on Explorer, and most recently on Liberty. Enjoyed them both. I did not find them to be too small at all, and both offered very big savings, which was well worth it to me. On Explorer, we were in 6311, and on Liberty we were in 7627. Both cabins were near the elevators (mid-ship), and both were not over areas of the Promenade that were very noisy. Just be sure to keep the curtains closed when changing clothes....;):)

I wouldn't hesitate to book PR cabins in the future.

Hi there Karen!!!! How are ya?

And to the OP, we did book a promenade state room onboard the Explorer and loved it. So much so that we booked another on the Freedom next month.

The cabin really is oh so slightly larger than a standard inside, but truly not by much. Be that as it may, with the added window seat and bow window, it does create the illusion that it's bigger.

One added bonus: We did stay in a non-promenade cabin on other ships and lines. The one thing I hated is just how PITCH BLACK they are when you wake up in the middle of the night. I kept waking up, thinking it just had to be 6, 7 or 8am, so I'd plod around and get ready for the day. My partner would then grumble and say, "What are you doing? It's 3:30 in the morning?!"

At least with a promenade cabin, you do get just a little bit of light coming from the edges of the curtains.

One other thing. I have NEVER felt that these rooms were unusually small. As far as I'm concerned, all rooms on the ship are small but really........how much are you in the rooms? We've never had a problem. Good luck!

Archived