NCL Sun or Holland's Noordam - Southern Caribbean

DeRon

I am posting this question on both forums to get some direction. My wife and I are a young 49, and we are wanting to take either a 11 day cruise on the Sun or a 11 day on the Noordam. We have never been on a Holland Ship.

Noordam ports:

(out of Ft Lauderdale)

St Martin

St Lucia

Barbados

Martinique

Dominica

St Thomas

Half Moon Cay

NCL Sun ports:

(out of Miami)

Cartagena

Aruba

Curacao

St Martin

St Thomas

Pros of Noordam:

I am nervous about the age group of people on HAL. And I know that 11 days + Oct/Nov cruise will accentuate this. BUT...I like the ports (2 more), the pool on the aft, and the food (from what I've read) of Holland's Noordam.

The pros of the Sun are: easy, maybe younger ages, specialty restaurants, it goes to Aruba, and not as stiff atmosphere (??)

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks!

HI.... The big question is.... are you going to relax and have fun, are you going just to see how many places you can see, but not really have time to enjoy them?

We are in our 70's, there are three of us...this will be our 6th trip on NCL and am looking at one befor number 6....6 will be the NCL SUN ...11 days, 5 great ports, and 5 sea days....

We will do the martini tastings (both), most of the shows, some dancing, the meet and greet (to meet other cruisers) and do several private tours (which we will book ourselfs online)...so age really doesn't matter....its how you think.....and me.....I'M STILL 39....(but at your age...do you remember JACK BENNY)....:D

So think about joining us ....we sail 4/10/13..

later...

jus' me...jim......the velvet teddy bear.....:cool:

I am posting this question on both forums to get some direction. My wife and I are a young 49, and we are wanting to take either a 11 day cruise on the Sun or a 11 day on the Noordam. We have never been on a Holland Ship.

Noordam ports:

(out of Ft Lauderdale)

St Martin

St Lucia

Barbados

Martinique

Dominica

St Thomas

Half Moon Cay

NCL Sun ports:

(out of Miami)

Cartagena

Aruba

Curacao

St Martin

St Thomas

Pros of Noordam:

I am nervous about the age group of people on HAL. And I know that 11 days + Oct/Nov cruise will accentuate this. BUT...I like the ports (2 more), the pool on the aft, and the food (from what I've read) of Holland's Noordam.

The pros of the Sun are: easy, maybe younger ages, specialty restaurants, it goes to Aruba, and not as stiff atmosphere (??)

Thanks!

I do not like HAL, very old crowd, stuffy and the place is dead after 10:00pm. NCL offers a lot, relaxed atmosphere, SUN is a nice ship.

I do not like HAL, very old crowd, stuffy and the place is dead after 10:00pm. NCL offers a lot, relaxed atmosphere, SUN is a nice ship.

I've been on one HAL cruise and I did not feel it was "very old crowd, stuffy...". While things did quite down early, I believe my husband and I were up past 10. Yea, most of the folks were older, however not all.

Anyway, both cruise lines are great. Go with your gut. :D (I'd probably do the Sun as I've become attached to NCL):D

Noordam ports:

(out of Ft Lauderdale)

St Martin

St Lucia

Barbados

Martinique

Dominica

St Thomas

Half Moon Cay

NCL Sun ports:

(out of Miami)

Cartagena

Aruba

Curacao

St Martin

St Thomas

Pros of Noordam:

Thanks!

There are differences with the cruise lines but I've seen "seniors" on all of the ships. But to name just a few other differences (and I have no preferences here): HAL offers free espresso, latte and cappucino during breakfast, lunch & dinner. On NCL, you pay for it. HAL offers a full hot breakfast delivered to your cabin...any cabin class. On NCL, it's only available to certain suite guests. HAL lets you bring aboard all the wine you'd like and doesn't charge you one cent. NCL charges a minimum of $15. per bottle (and more) to be allowed to bring it aboard and drink it in your own cabin. HAL room service is totally free also. Additionally, any item on the HAL Main Dining Room menu can be delivered to your cabin if you prefer to dine in. These are mostly monetary differences. But if you're a wine drinker, coffee lover or a foodie, these other differences may be of importance to you.

I enjoy NCL and HAL. Each takes care of me in a different way, however, depending on my moods. Hope you enjoy your cruise....whichever line it is.

We have done 5 NCL cruises, and just one HAL. My DH and I did not enjoy HAL. We prefer freestyle, and we want to be on active ships with activites that we enjoy. We love going in the pools and hotubs after dinner, and that is not an option on HAL, as the pools and hotubs close very early. We prefer the White hot party over the ballroom dancing. I found very limited activites for us and our age group (almost 40). We were in a Deluxe Verranda Suite on HAL, and the suite sevice is just poor in comparsion to NCL.

We do not eat in any MDR's because we prefer the smaller SR's as well as the food. The Pinnicale Grill on Holland had the best food imho, but I would not sail with them just for that. We love Cagney's, and NCL's freestyle everything.

My advice to you is to find the dailies of both ships and see which ship has what you want. Also think about the MDR's and what you want. Some like the traditional dining and dressing. My dh wears a suit everyday, and does not want to wear it on vacation. He does dress for events, and will wear a tie to dinner, just not a jacket.

Good luck on your choice, and happy planning.

One final point is the formal nights(money maker), I do not like wearing a tie and coat and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere, even-though I dress sharp on HAL( you need to be dressed and I have never been turned away) I hear they are strict.. Just my take, I am 60 and my wife is younger but we are fun loving young at heart and active folks, Will no longer cruise HAL.

cruisinbob

I'd choose NCL, mostly because of a better balance of sea days and port days. In addition, NCL does better than most lines those things that're important to me on a cruise. I'm not sure what cabin category you'd choose, but I hear the Sun has very nice large inside cabins as well as awesome minisuites. Lots of bang for the buck.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either line, though, lots of folks like HAL and the Noordam. Good for you for posting the question on both boards. It's interesting to read the HAL responses. I still don't get why some people don't think the MDR food is good, but that's what makes the world go 'round.

There are differences with the cruise lines but I've seen "seniors" on all of the ships. But to name just a few other differences (and I have no preferences here): HAL offers free espresso, latte and cappucino during breakfast, lunch & dinner. On NCL, you pay for it. HAL offers a full hot breakfast delivered to your cabin...any cabin class. On NCL, it's only available to certain suite guests. HAL lets you bring aboard all the wine you'd like and doesn't charge you one cent. NCL charges a minimum of $15. per bottle (and more) to be allowed to bring it aboard and drink it in your own cabin. HAL room service is totally free also. Additionally, any item on the HAL Main Dining Room menu can be delivered to your cabin if you prefer to dine in. These are mostly monetary differences. But if you're a wine drinker, coffee lover or a foodie, these other differences may be of importance to you.

I enjoy NCL and HAL. Each takes care of me in a different way, however, depending on my moods. Hope you enjoy your cruise....whichever line it is.

What's the difference in price? Those HAL perks listed are nice, but my Sun aft penthouse on the Sun for that same So. Caribbean has some pretty sweet perks too.

Also, if you book this week NCL is running a "perks" special.

I am on the 3/20/13 Sailing on the Sun. It's my fave!

What's the difference in price? Those HAL perks listed are nice, but my Sun aft penthouse on the Sun for that same So. Caribbean has some pretty sweet perks too.

Also, if you book this week NCL is running a "perks" special.

I am on the 3/20/13 Sailing on the Sun. It's my fave!

GRRrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

Firstly you did not post what cabin category you are interested in. If it is a suite(not mini) no one does perks for suites like NCL. I was in a penthouse suite in Feb & have one booked for the fall. IMHO 7 ports on an 11 day cruise is a very port intense itinerary.

I was looking at both of these cruises also. I believe there's another HAL 10 day cruise that has Aruba on its itinerary (but not Cartegena).

We probably are going to choose Sun because it's cheaper and it's 11 days vs. 10. However, we've always enjoyed our HAL cruises, even with the formal nights.;):)

To clear up an above post, HAL does offer what they call "open dining" if you choose it. You just show up at the MDR when you want to eat, or you can make a reservation. You can also choose a fixed dining time if you want. If you don't want to dress up for formal nights, (which we don't) you have the option of eating in the Lido or the Canelleto. Unfortunately the Canelleto recently began charging $10 pp, however that is an option. That is where we dined on our last HAL cruise. You also have the option of room service.

For the OP, unless you try HAL you will not know if it suits you. I have read of many younger folks who do love HAL and many who find it is not their thing. Myself, I choose for itinerary as the ship is really not important. We are after seeing what the ports have to offer. We like the refined nature of the HAL cruises and we find the people on board well travelled and very interesting to be around. I know not everyone would enjoy HAL as much as I do. Hopefully after reading all the posts on both forums you will start to get a feel for the right choice for you. It is good to have choices, that is for sure. We went on one NCL cruise and we would go again for the right itinerary, but otherwise we would avoid them. We found the food inferior (did not try the pay restaurants as we figured we already paid for food in our cruise cost). We also did not like all the announcements on the ship. We are all looking for something different and it is important to find the right fit. However, as I say, unless you try HAL, you won't really know for sure if you will like it. It is up to you if you want to take that chance.

If you have only been on POA, well... That's a horse of a different color. That is all US crew. Very different.

QUOTE=vbmom87;34026048]To clear up an above post, HAL does offer what they call "open dining" if you choose it. You just show up at the MDR when you want to eat, or you can make a reservation. You can also choose a fixed dining time if you want. If you don't want to dress up for formal nights, (which we don't) you have the option of eating in the Lido or the Canelleto. Unfortunately the Canelleto recently began charging $10 pp, however that is an option. That is where we dined on our last HAL cruise. You also have the option of room service.

For the OP, unless you try HAL you will not know if it suits you. I have read of many younger folks who do love HAL and many who find it is not their thing. Myself, I choose for itinerary as the ship is really not important. We are after seeing what the ports have to offer. We like the refined nature of the HAL cruises and we find the people on board well travelled and very interesting to be around. I know not everyone would enjoy HAL as much as I do. Hopefully after reading all the posts on both forums you will start to get a feel for the right choice for you. It is good to have choices, that is for sure. We went on one NCL cruise and we would go again for the right itinerary, but otherwise we would avoid them. We found the food inferior (did not try the pay restaurants as we figured we already paid for food in our cruise cost). We also did not like all the announcements on the ship. We are all looking for something different and it is important to find the right fit. However, as I say, unless you try HAL, you won't really know for sure if you will like it. It is up to you if you want to take that chance.

We booked the 11 day on the Sun. We are also 49 but have young children (boys age 10 and 12) and will not go on a HAL ship with them. Just not kid friendly from my friends and other cruisers. Anyway- besides that-we have done Cartagena before and loved it and cannot wait to return.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived