Just back from the Glory

mlzangel78

I am 33 he is 38, we have no children and this was a do-over honeymoon, since we were just married 6 months ago in a destination wedding in Jamaica, I was itching to cruise after being landlocked for 12 days on one island! LOL

Embarkation was about 30 minutes and we were onboard, loading up the sign and sail with cash in a kiosk located on Deck 5, dropping our luggage in our cabin by 1pm, and off to the Lido for a DOD, and food. All our CELEBRATORY beverages made it on board with out a problem. Both bottles of Shambooze, and two bottles of wine filled with vodka instead. No issues at check in at all.

Sail away was great, prior I had heard that there were no bands on the lido, but we had one, and they were great. Seas were slightly rough from Virginia until we were closer to Nassau, but we were catching the tail end of TS Beryl, so that was to be expected. The interior of the ship looks great, she shows some minor signs of wear and tear but nothing that impacted our cruise.

We had an inside cabin on deck 8 right near the main elevators, great spot to be one deck below LIDO... easy access to food, and open decks for having a smoke. Our cabin steward was Excellent, and our room was more than adequate for being on board 6 days, but at port for 3, I always prefer a balcony, but i really didnt miss it because we were off the ship so much.

Day 2 At sea, seas and sun, took some time exploring the ship, my husband was in awe of the size once your on it. Lido buffet for breakfast, i was sad they got rid of the hasbrown patties, and only use cut up potatoes now... it wasnt as good as before, but it served its purpose. Lunch was Fish and Chips.. dear god bring a folding chair with you, the line for this is ABSURD and there is only 1 person working the station.. this proved to be the same the entire week, tho I will tell you, my husband who has backpacjed thru Europe, and been in London actually said they were QUITE good. I never wanted to wait in line like that for food, I dont care how good it is. The wait was 52 minutes by the way.. 38 the next day, and 47 the following...

Day 3 Nassau, we booked a private snorkel excursion with the British Colonial Hilton, which was fantastic, 6 people and the driver of the boat, 2 reefs for 55pp. Excellent to be away from all the crowded snorkel boats. We had lunch at Sharkeez, Over priced and the food is blah... save your money eat elsewhere.

Day 4 Nassau, we spent the entire day as I always do at the Atlantis on the day pass for 120.00 from 8:30-6pm, we had an amazing amazing day. Relaxing using the pools, and the slides was just the best way to spend the day. The resort is cashless so bring a credit card and beware to be gouged to eat there. I already knew this, but others may not, we had breakfast, 2 bagels, a water and an orange juice $23... then lunch, 3 orders of conch fritters and fries with a soda $33... I dont mind spending it, i absolutely love the property, and do a pass everytime i go. Senior frogs that evening, was as it always is, packed with 18 year olds, its still a fun time for one drink...

Day 5 Freeport..

I have NEVER been to freeport, so i wanted to do SOMETHING to see the island. I wish we hadnt.. this is my least favorite port of all. we did a culinary experience booked thru the ship because our time at port was cut short, and I didnt want to chance it. Junkanoo Beach club was where it was held, the beach itself is VERY pretty, and they do state you can use credit cards.. however be aware there is a $20 min to charge, and if you are dying of thirst a $2 water needs to be ordered 10 times in order to purcahse it. The excursion itseld would have been fine had it not been at 7:15am, by the time you finish cooking in the heat being eaten by mosquitos, and savaged by flies, its 9 am and a bit to early to be eating FRIED conch for my taste... jet skis can be rented for $75 for a 30 min ride, and thats cash only. Next time we will just stay on the ship. Nor will i ever book an excursion that early ever again.

Day 6 at sea- chair hogs were out in full force this cruise. We stayed aft end starboard side deck ten half way between the aft and lido pools and always got a spot.

The comedy was ok, the shows were highschool talent at best, I do feel Royal Carib offers much better shows, but I wont be back to Royal, Im sticking with Carnival

All in all this was a great cruise, the food was excellent, We did the steakhouse the last night, soley because i wanted escargot... which def is NOT as good as when they did it in the dining room in those dishes covered with butter and garlic. now they sit on little breads and provide a creamy sauce to dip them in. i wasnt a fan, the filet was no better in the steakhouse than it was in the dining room on elegant night, the AHI TUNA was HUGE and to die for, we didnt order salads so we were able to order two apps, the onion soup was gross. we both ordered surf and turf, and again for the 3rd trip to the steakhouse i was unimpressed, we wont be returning, especially now that theyve raised the fee to $35... my husband is addicted to the WCMC, as he should be :) Any questions feel free to ask

Thanks for the review! We did the first trip out of Norfolk back on the 15th and felt really fortunate to see the Glory leaving the area on Saturday after dropping you guys off. We were at First Landing State Park beach and got a great shot of her coming over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever booked with Carnival a fare called "Pack & Go" It was a very low fare leaving July 26 from Boston to Canada on the Glory and I'm told that with this fare it guarantees us a spot on the ship but no idea what type of room or where. If anyone has ever booked this type of fare what type of room did they give you? I'm starting to have second thoughts and thinking maybe I should pay for an upgrade or should I risk waiting till I see what type of room we have and then get an upgrade if we're not satified?

Thanks for your review, I have been looking forward to trying the escargot again but wont be going to the steakhouse so i guess i wont be having them :( We were more or less forced into the ship and itin since it is close and we are traveling with friends (part of me secretly hopes they cancel so i can do a different one). Horrible, I know.

Augustoc- no one can really answer that because they could get the top category for the room category and you could get the lowest. it is the luck of the draw. If you are concerned with room location I would book a rate that you could choose your room.

Thanks for your review! My Hubs and I will be doing this exact cruise in Oct--our first cruise. I'm trying to absorb as much info I can about the ship and the itinerary. :D

I'm wondering if anyone has ever booked with Carnival a fare called "Pack & Go" It was a very low fare leaving July 26 from Boston to Canada on the Glory and I'm told that with this fare it guarantees us a spot on the ship but no idea what type of room or where. If anyone has ever booked this type of fare what type of room did they give you? I'm starting to have second thoughts and thinking maybe I should pay for an upgrade or should I risk waiting till I see what type of room we have and then get an upgrade if we're not satified?

We are going on July 7th and booked a pack n go fare for a balcony guarantee. Both cabins were assigned to the Spa Deck! We are thrilled! I was told the difference with this fare vs other specials is that you cannot change out people in the room etc or you pay a 200.00 change fee vs the normal 50.00 fee...

We have booked the pack an go many times. I have always had the option of inside, oceanview, balcony. Then they pick the cabin in that catagory. I have always had a good cabin - I book inside and am usually on deck 8 or deck 9 (lido) - keep checking your booking, they will post your cabin number once it is assigned - although there have been a few times I didn't get my cabin number until I arrived at the port.

Well you are in for a treat.

Here are a few pictures of the Glory..

Here is the Serenity (adults only) Area,

Main Pool Deck, & Water Slide..

100_2284-1.jpg

100_2297-1.jpg

100_2288-1.jpg

100_2285-1.jpg

100_2280-1.jpg

Thanks for your review! My Hubs and I will be doing this exact cruise in Oct--our first cruise. I'm trying to absorb as much info I can about the ship and the itinerary. :D

We did the May 21 cruise out of Norfolk. Would have to agree with the comedians not being that good. Did both late adult shows. The shows were ok. Ate in the MDR for lunches got great service and the food was much better than the buffets.

Nice review. I haven't been on the Glory, but agree that the onion soup is not the best. I wish they still served the porterhouse, until then I won't go back either.

Wow French Onion soup and a nice fat steak sounds amazing though doesn't it?

-KD

Nice review.....thanks.........my husband and I are cruising on the Glory in October out of Norfolk.....we live in VA Beach which is so very convenient!!! We enjoy dancing to Beach Music, Cha Cha, East Coast Swing, etc......did you see people dancing (not in the disco) to that type of music? How was the band/DJ? Glad you had fun on the cruise. Did your husband enjoy his first cruise experience? Not sure what WCMC is......icon7.gif

Nice review.....thanks.........my husband and I are cruising on the Glory in October out of Norfolk.....we live in VA Beach which is so very convenient!!! We enjoy dancing to Beach Music, Cha Cha, East Coast Swing, etc......did you see people dancing (not in the disco) to that type of music? How was the band/DJ? Glad you had fun on the cruise. Did your husband enjoy his first cruise experience? Not sure what WCMC is......icon7.gif

wcmc= warm chocolate melting cake= orgasm in a bowl!:p

Just booked the GLory for January. (after the do-over adding the extra "stuff")

hiiiii we need to do lunch now tht im 15 min from philly again!

not a whole lot of dancing as for the night club music unless you like rap and are 21 thats all they played we left after 15 min of headache

In Freeport we did the kayaking trip booked through the ship and it was great. Nice beach, fun kayaking, excellent guide (Morgan). Highly recommend.

We went on the may 15 trip from Norfolk. It was terrific.

I loved the sushi and ate a lot of that. I found that going to fish and chips at off times (we ate lunch around 2) the lines weren't so long. Totally worth the wait, but not an hour!

I did not like the Mongolian. Disappointed there.

The gym was awesome, and I loved running on the track up top...very nice to have a tailwind for half of each lap.

I spent most of my lounging time on the serenity deck sitting on those amazing couches. Loved that place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done that before and it worked out fine. I got the 7th floor, Empress deck, inside cabin.

Archived