Booking Excursions

I've never been on a cruise before, but I am looking to book excursions. Are there any that you would recommend booking? Can you book them through independent people, or do I need to go through Carnival? If you booked yours through independent people, please give me their names and all that stuff. Thanks.

Hola Hun,

I will try to help if I can. First of all, what is your itinerary? Some ports are easier to go-it-on-your-own, so to speak. Research these boards. Do a Google on the ports and decide what you want to do.

We took a taxi to Chankanaab Park in Cozumel and had a ball. Our first trip to Calica we booked through the cruiseline. Big mistake. We could have had the same trip through an independant for half price. Progreso was also through the ship and again I could have had the same trip for less. I think the only time that I would book through the ship would be a tour that I could not find somewhere else or if the ship was in port for a short time.

Belize and Costa Maya are (must take a tour) stops. So is Progreso unless you want to shop or play on the beach. There is not that much to do on your own. But Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Calica are a field day for the adventurer.

Do your research and have a ball and if you have more questions just ask. Someone is bound to reply.

Have a great trip and eat a shrimp for me.

Clackey

I'm going to Cozumel, Belize and Progreso. I have Cozumel booked (swimming with dolphins and snorkeling). I'm looking to book cavetubing in Belize with www.ecotoursbelize.com and I don't have anything planned for Progreso. Can I book my own excursions for Progreso with an independent person? Thanks.

Hola again,

Progreso is a different town. Being a newer port, the town has'nt turned total tourist yet. If you want to see a real Mexican town, Progreso is it. Just slip back a few blocks away from the main Malecon and see how the real people live. Our first trip to Progreso, we booked a tour through the ship to the Dzibilchaltun Ruins. It was an interesting trip and I'm glad that I went, but I would not go again. The second trip was a lazy day. We sulked on Corona Beach and shopped. Coronas for a dollar and good food. Yes, life is good. When and if I go back I will have to book a tour (an independant tour) to Merida. I hear that it is pretty nice.

To answer your question. Yes, by all means book a tour with a local. They can use the money more than the cruise ships can.

Hope this helps.

Clackey

Archived