Newbie Questions on Insurance & Eating

CTI1WLM

Good day,

(hope this is not a dupe. I had a browser problem a minute ago).

First time poster, first cruise is scheduled for Feb 17-24 on Carnival Magic out of Galveston, 7-day Western Caribbean cruise.

Question 1 - Insurance? I am retired military so we are covered by TriCare. My wife and I have no health issues (cholestorol and BP pill each day). We are driving from San Antonio to Galveston, so "missing an air connection" is not an issue. Therefore, do I need trip insurance? Why not just bill TriCare - if needed - when I get back? Appreciate all your insights.

Question 2 - Eating? I had bariatric surgery (i.e., my stomach is now severely smaller). A full meal for me is now on the order of 4 ounces. So, how do I handle the SteakHouse? Can I make a reservation for one - my wife - go with her to the seating, and carve off an ounce or two for myself? I really do not want to pay for two meals if I cannot eat mine.

Anyone had any experience similar to this on Carnival Magic? Appreciate your input.

Anchors aweigh,

Good day,

First time poster, first cruise is scheduled for Feb 17-24 on Carnival Magic out of Galveston, 7-day Western Caribbean cruise.

Question 1 - Insurance? I am retired military so we are covered by TriCare. My wife and I have no health issues (cholestorol and BP pill each day). We are driving from San Antonio to Galveston, so "missing an air connection" is not an issue. Therefore, do I need trip insurance? Why not just bill TriCare - if needed - when I get back? Appreciate all your insights.

Question 2 - Eating? I had bariatric surgery (i.e., my stomach is now severely smaller). A full meal for me is now on the order of 4 ounces. So, how do I handle the SteakHouse? Can I make a reservation for one - my wife - go with her to the seating, and carve off an ounce or two for myself? I really do not want to pay for two meals if I cannot eat mine.

Anyone had any experience similar to this on Carnival Magic? Appreciate your input.

Anchors aweigh,

Make sure TriCare covers out-of-country?

I'd say the major Insurance issues would be the possibly high cost of Medical Evacuation (I don't know what TriCare covers) and the unexpected cancellation or interruption of trip to return for Death/Illness of relative. Maybe consider one of the Lite Policies offered by TravelInsured or TravelEx. If you're USAA member, they offer TravelInsured at a slightly lower premium and some expanded coverages. ken

Good day,

You still should have travel insurance . What happens if you are involved or held by a traffic accident and miss the ship.

Take one entree , appetizer etc between the two of you and just share.

Anchors aweigh,

You'll still be charged for two.

I am not familiar with TriCare but I will say that I have medical coverage and I usually drive to port yet I almost always buy travel insurance once I get to final payment. You are in good health but what happens if a week before you are set to leave, you or your spouse has a medical emergency? Appendix - gallstones, gets in an auto accident, whatever. It prevents you from cruising. Travel insurance would cover you for the loss of the non-refundable cruise fare. What if one of those medical emergencies happened at sea? Air evacuation is pretty expensive and I don't know of any medical insurance plans that will cover that. What if you get sick in a foreign country and the ship says you have to be treated at a local hospital as they cannot care for you on the ship? Will your insurance cover you? What if your car breaks down enroute and you miss-the-boat so to speak. Medical sure doesn't cover that and the cruiseline will say so sorry, we can't help you. What if your parent, child or one of you suddenly dies 2 days before you leave on your cruise and you need to stay home? What if you leave your luggage with the porters and your bag never makes it to your room? I've heard of that happening. Travel insurance covers that. I have never had to use my homeowners insurance but I would never be uninsured. Just my two cents. Many people do just fine without the need but ask yourself, if any of those scenarios happened to you, would be okay with your loss? If you are okay to lose the money, then don't buy insurance. Its a choice not a requirement.

As for the steakhouse, I personally wouldn't attempt tagging along at the steakhouse. My husband and I get overstuffed at the steakhouse & could easily just split what they serve and only have to pay 1 cover charge but that isn't the right thing to do. Nor am I sure they would allow it. Nothing wrong with the dining room food so I suggest you just skip the steakhouse for this cruise. My 2 cents.

In terms of insurance, we always use a "Savvy Traveler" policy, from one of the major carriers, if we do not need air coverage. (we live in South Florida)

The price is more than competitive and the coverage for us is good.

I have heart problems and it has a pre-existing waiver if booked within 2 weeks (I think) of your deposit, so I feel safe, though by our next cruise I will be out of that all important 18 month window.

If you Google it, the company will come up, not sure if I can name them.

My medical insurance covers out of network (including international) care. I can submit claims. I also drive. I also never get add on insurance. Why, because I go on enough vacations that if I save all the money that I did not spend on insurance, and if something would happen, I would be covered with the savings.

Others tell you about emergency evacuations. If that were to happen, I guess I would be doomed, and have to stay on the ship. Maybe take up a collection. However, I still wouldn't buy the insurance. I have no problem taking the chance. However, it is a personal choice.

I also don't waste money on extended warrenties and other special insurance policies.

As far as the steakhouse is concerned, it is a per person fee regardless of what you eat. Sorry.

If you are newbies, try the steak in the MDR and see if it meets your needs if you feel you cant eat but a small portion. You are not the only one who cruises after weight loss surgery, it can be done.

There is a skirt steak of some kind I believe still offered for free nightly.

I happen to sleep with a VA TriCare rep...he said that they will reimburse 80% of customary US charges. Anything over and above will not be reimbursed (and it could be a quite costly helicopter ride, if needed). That said, he always makes me buy private travel insurance.

Suzy

Always lots of opinions about buying insurance. The biggest argument against seems to be that I didn't use it. WELL, since your house didn't burn down last year are you rethinking buying homeowners insurance? Or since you didn't have a car accident... You're not only getting coverage for the unforseen, you're also getting peace of mind.

If you are newbies, try the steak in the MDR and see if it meets your needs if you feel you cant eat but a small portion. You are not the only one who cruises after weight loss surgery, it can be done.

There is a skirt steak of some kind I believe still offered for free nightly.

Flat Iron steaks are available nightly in the MDR

I always go to insuremytrip.com and compare policies for what meets my needs. I usually find an affordable option that covers the main things that I'm concerned with. Trip delay, lost luggage, etc

We always use insuremytrip.com; inexpensive, but comprehensive. Medical is not always the issue. You are protecting your $ against an emergency at home with family or catastrophe that you could not predict and would be forced not to cruise. It covers luggage lost, emergency evac for more than just medical purposes, and it is "peace of mind."

As far as dining, we have had delcious choices in the main dining room and Lido deck buffets. Advise Carnival in advance of your health needs, and reiterate them with the maitre'de of your dining room when you first come on board. Usually, they have the dining room open for table adjustments, etc. within the first hour or so of boarding. They will note your needs and be vigilant about them.

My advice is avoid spending unnecessary funds at the steakhouse so that you won't have a disappointing dinner. Even if they do not charge you for the "extra plate", the dinners are very rich and might be difficult for someone who has had recent gastric surgery. Your will have great service in the Dining room, and if it is not up to snuff, advise your maitre'de immediately. It will be corrected quickly.

Enjoy the cruise.

Always lots of opinions about buying insurance. The biggest argument against seems to be that I didn't use it. WELL, since your house didn't burn down last year are you rethinking buying homeowners insurance? Or since you didn't have a car accident... You're not only getting coverage for the unforseen, you're also getting peace of mind.

I couldn't have said it better :).

Archived