Marseille Ship Tour- What would you do?

I'm trying to make a decision on which of HAL's ship tours to take. I'm traveling solo, so it really is my best option. Here are the three I'm interested in...which would you choose?!

Aix en Provence

A one-hour drive takes you via the highway to the charming old town of Aix en Provence for a walking tour of the Cours Mirabeau avenue, built in the 1600s. A verdant tunnel of foliage protects pedestrians from the heat of the Provençal sun. Aristocratic façades of old hotels line the Cours, with wrought iron balconies and finely carved doorways. The fountain dates back to 1743 and spouts forth warm water (93°F)-the Romans believed it had healing properties. Explore the old quarter and Saint Sauveur Cathedral, which has a Romanesque nave, a Merovingian baptistry, a Gothic section, all dating between the 5th and 17th centuries.

Chateau Neuf du Pape & Avignon

The most intoxicating of all the wines of the Rhône was named after the town of Chateau Neuf. Your coach will take you to the town whose original vineyards were planted on land belonging to the Avignon popes. Your first stop will be at a local winery to taste the yields of age-old tradition. Then you will continue to Avignon where lunch will be served. The city of Avignon is caretaker to the art and culture of the Vaucluse region-it sprawls along the banks of the Rhone River, surrounded by ramparts and dominated by the massive Dome Rock. The cathedral and the Palace of the Popes stand atop the rock, towering majestically over the rest of the town. After a guided tour, you will have some time at leisure in Avignon.

Le Castellet & Bandol Begin this excursion with a scenic drive to Le Castellet-a typical Provençal hilltop village-perched on wooded hills above the vineyards. This remarkable stronghold, formerly owned by the Lords of Les Baux, boasts well preserved ramparts, a carefully restored 12th-century church, and a castle dating back to the 11th century. Entering by the two fortified gates, called le portail and le portalet, you will start the visit with a guided walking tour around the narrow streets up to the castle which is now home to the town hall. Time at leisure allows you to explore the arts and craft workshops-painting, pottery, hollow-ware-before rejoining the motor-coach for a drive to the seaside resort of Bandol. Bandol is a pleasant, small resort on a pretty bay and is sheltered by high wooded slopes. Enjoy some free time for a refreshing drink in one of the inviting waterfront cafés, or take a stroll past the fashionable boutiques before returning to Marseille.

Thanks again!

I am the last person to tell someone which tour to do or what to see as it depends on what the person has an interest in,but since you asked...I would go with door #2 as it offers quite a bit and the walled part of Avignon is neat to explore in itself.You can always go back to the south of France for a stay.Enjoy your cruise and tour no matter which one you end up with..:)

I'm probably the last person to offer up suggestion, however, in 2000 we took the ship's transportation to Aix and spent the day on our own. It was wonderful, delightful and beautiful. However, I do not think you will go wrong with any tour that is offered. They sound great.

Have a wonderful time!

Thanks!

Please don't feel like you can't give your opinion. I'm going to be on the ship for 22 days and I can't even tell you how overwhelmed I am trying to decide this last and final port! They all sound good, but I thought that someone who had "been there, done that" could give a suggestion. :D

Thanks again!

Thanks for the great info - this port has been a challenge for us! Since we're in port on a Sunday - does that change any of your recommendations? I expect the shops to generally be closed but is there anything else to see in town? Anyone have any idea on train schedules?

Thanks in advance for all the wonderful information! These boards are great!!

NativeTexan - We're going to be in Marseille on a Sunday in October and would be anxious to hear about your experiences after your trip. We've booked a private driver to go to the huge, Sunday market in Isle-sur-la-Sorgue and then on to explore the small villages of Luberon (Gordes and Roussillon) ... a stop for a little wine tasting then to Aix-en-Provence before heading back to the ship.

If you decide on Aix, take the bus instead of a ship tour. Much cheaper. Just hop in a taxi to the bus station. The bus ticket was about 6 euros I think. It drops you off about a kilometer from the main square in the city, which is a beautiful walk in a beautiful city.

How long is the bus ride? Do you happen to have a link to schedules, etc. I'm still a little concerned about what will be open on a Sunday. From past experience - shops are generally closed all day! If anyone has more info, please share! :)

We were in Marseilles last Sunday. We took the ship's shuttle into town, which dropped us off by the Metro station. Then we took the Metro to Gare St. Charles (I think) which is the train station. It was only 2 stops away. From there, we wanted to take the train to Aix, but the next one wasn't leaving for a couple of hours. But an incredibly nice French man told us just to get on the bus. It leaves every 20 minutes, and it takes about that long to get there. And it only cost a few Euros.

They have an antique flea market there on Sundays, if you like that kind of thing. We just wandered around and then had lunch at one of the many cafes. It was a really enjoyable morning. We rode back to Marseilles with some friends who had a car, and spent the afternoon there, and enjoyed it as well.

(We had friends who had a private tour that included Aix and Les Baux; they said at the time Les Baux was the highlight of the cruise.)

Kimiata - THANKS!! This is great information and sounds like a perfect day! I'm also interested in Villefranche activities. We've got a private tour booked for Florence and Rome - so we're hoping to do a bit on our own and have a slower day in the other ports. I'd be interested in your ideas!

Thanks again for sharing - sounds like enough is open and a short bus ride would be interesting!

NativeTexan

Hi NativeTexan, I am not sure how to explore Villefranche on your own. Our ship stopped in Monte Carlo and we had a tour with Michel from Revelation. He exceeded my expectations, which were already pretty high. He took us to St. Paul de Vence, Nice, Eze, and back to Monte Carlo. If you are up for one more private tour, I would highly recommend him.

Monte Carlo is pretty easy to do on your own, if you wanted to just get a ride there from Villefranche. But Villefranche itself I don't know about. I am sure you will have a great time no matter what you decide! Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a month in the Avignon region a few years ago and found it delightful. Aix is pronounced ex and the locals refer to it as 'sex in provence' because of the college. It is well worth the trip. Another great favorite is Les Baux but there are so many. The antique market in Ile is great too. Just a note from past experience, it is hard to get anyone in France to ship things home. Bubble wrap is virtually unheard of and there are no postal places equipped to do so. A very few of the shops will do so, so, be prepared to carry your purchases or ship via shop.

Archived