Are there taxis at the Messina port to take you to Toarmina

gam888

Been checking with local tour operators. From Messina to Taormina and Castelmola the tour costs about $65 per person. There are five of us. Does anyone know once you get off the ship in Messina, are there taxis for hired that would be willing to take us to Taormina, and Castelmola, how much they might charge, and would the cars be big enough to take 5 people? Or if you have used any local tour operators, please share the information as well.Thanks in advance.

We booked with Sicily Life for a tour to Taormina and Castelmola, they were prompt in their email replies and the driver was waiting for us when exited the ship. They tailored an itinerary to suit our schedule. We had a very memorable day, and highly recommend their services.

The previous post brings back memories of our most recent visit (this past April) to Taormina. It was a pretty nice day and Taormina had its normal crowds early in the day. We immedately ran to the bus stop and caught the local bus up to Castelmola where we had this charming town (with amazing views) all to ourselves. We literally sat sipping Cappucino at a rooftop cafe (overlooking the valley and countryside) all by ourselves. We did not see one other tourist in the village the entire 1 1/2 hours we spent with are cafe and browsing a few shops. The ony bummer for many DIYers is that the buses from Taormini to Castelmola only run about once an hour so its helpful to head up there early in the day. We were lucky because our ship tendered into Giordino Naxos where we had free shuttle service up to Taormina. The bus fare up to Catelmola cost only a few Euros so this turned out to be a very cheap day.

Hank

On a recent Med cruise, we arranged for a shore excursion from Messina for four couples with Sicily Life. We had an astonishingly good time, especially considering that via some misunderstanding, they gave us the wrong tour! We had signed up for their “Etna Experience Tour & Highlights of Taormina” and asked for an additional stop at a winery. They suggested the Gambino Winery. We also asked for a photo stop at Castelmola. We got the winery stop and the photo op but somehow got the “Unknown Sicily around Etna and the Highlights of Taormina” tour instead of the one we reserved.

When our driver/guide outlined our itinerary at the beginning of the tour, we tuned in to the word Etna and didn’t realize that we were not going to the Silvestri Crater on Etna but to small towns on the slopes of Etna. This only became apparent much later when we asked how much further it was to the crater. The driver then showed us the itinerary he had been given for us: the “Unknown Sicily” tour. By this time, it was too late to go with the original plan and we were having such a good time that we really didn’t care.

The tour we were given was outstanding and we’ll just have to go back to see the crater and maybe go to the top of Etna. Our driver/guide was Antonio and he was amazingly knowledgeable and affable. He used a sound system so even people in the back on the somewhat cramped van could hear his comments as he drove along. At one stop we asked about the possibility of tasting some local products and he got the local farmer’s cooperative to open early for us. We proceeded to taste olive oil, bread, cheese, tapenades, wines, liquors, marmalades, and probably some other things! I think we all ended up making purchases there. The Gambino Winery was a semi-lunch stop. We actually paid for a wine tasting and snacks but these included a sufficient variety and quantity of foods that our lunch box was checked.

The small towns on the slopes of Etna were really interesting and the photo stop at Castelmola turned into a quick walking tour of the town led by Antonio (he lived there). Probably because of the time spent tasting at the Food Co-op and the Gambino Winery, we had less time than we would have liked in Taormina. We still had time to enjoy the Greek theater there and make our way to one of the gardens for a quick stop.

It may seem strange to give a high rating to a company that gave us the wrong tour. However, Sicily Life was very prompt in responding to emails, needed no payment ahead of time, was at the dock as soon as we got off the ship, provided an outstanding guide, and was quite flexible in taking care of any request. If we go back to Sicily, we will certainly use them (but confirm our itinerary in detail!).

Been checking with local tour operators. From Messina to Taormina and Castelmola the tour costs about $65 per person. There are five of us. Does anyone know once you get off the ship in Messina, are there taxis for hired that would be willing to take us to Taormina, and Castelmola, how much they might charge, and would the cars be big enough to take 5 people? Or if you have used any local tour operators, please share the information as well.Thanks in advance.

There will be plenty of taxis lined up as you get off the ship. I seem to remember it was around 60euros each way for a regular taxi. (Cost of taxi not per person). There will also be the bigger 8 people carriers which will cost a little more.

We have however for our upcoming trip booked a tour including Taormina and Castlemoda and the Cathedral on the way back - for an 8 seater Mercedes van they charge 40 euros each for 7-8 persons and if 5 or 6 persons they charge 45 euros each. This is with Sicily with Mario.

B17,

I have looked into Sicily with Mario, I was under the impression you need to have 6 people to get the 45 Euros rate for the Taormina and Castlemola tour. We have 5 and I think it might have been 50 Euros for us if I remember correctly. We are docking at Messina. Did he quote you 45 E for 5 -6 people from Messina, just curious?

The previous post brings back memories of our most recent visit (this past April) to Taormina. It was a pretty nice day and Taormina had its normal crowds early in the day. We immedately ran to the bus stop and caught the local bus up to Castelmola where we had this charming town (with amazing views) all to ourselves. We literally sat sipping Cappucino at a rooftop cafe (overlooking the valley and countryside) all by ourselves. We did not see one other tourist in the village the entire 1 1/2 hours we spent with are cafe and browsing a few shops. The ony bummer for many DIYers is that the buses from Taormini to Castelmola only run about once an hour so its helpful to head up there early in the day. We were lucky because our ship tendered into Giordino Naxos where we had free shuttle service up to Taormina. The bus fare up to Catelmola cost only a few Euros so this turned out to be a very cheap day.

Hank

Hi again Hank,

We are docking in Messina from 7 - 4. I think the quickest we can get off the ship is 8 to 8:30. (have to drag our 3 grown kids out of bed). Do you think we have enough time to DIY from Messina to Taormina, and can you take a taxi from Taormina to Castlemola? Do you remember the cost? Thanks.

B17,

I have looked into Sicily with Mario, I was under the impression you need to have 6 people to get the 45 Euros rate for the Taormina and Castlemola tour. We have 5 and I think it might have been 50 Euros for us if I remember correctly. We are docking at Messina. Did he quote you 45 E for 5 -6 people from Messina, just curious?

Hmm - depends how you read into it:

COST: 2 prs.75 eu pp – 4 prs.50 eu pp - 6 prs.45 eu pp - 8 prs.40 eu pp

So I read it as being upto 4 persons 50 euros each then upto 6 persons 45 euros each.

The journey if I remember correctly is around 45-50 mins along the auto route.

Just a note for anyone considering the local bus. They have two routes they can follow by bus. One is the fast comuter bus which goes along the autoroute and takes around 50 minutes but only has one run in the morning and one run back later afternoon - so this may not fit in with ship timings. The other local buses go along the coastal route and although the estimated travel time is 1hr 20 minutes we did this once and due to traffic and the amount of stops it actually took nearly 2.5 hours leaving us very little time in Taormina and having to run around trying to get a taxi transfer back. Also the bus station is a good 20 min walk from the port of Messina.

As in many places, the taxis there are a rip-off. They refuse to use the meter, and so you, as a tourist, end up paying inflated prices.

We booked a minibus for eight, so per person, the cost was not too bad, but probably twice the proper price.

The train is very cheap, wander round to the railway station, you can't miss it - it's where the ferries keep going to - and get the train towards Catania, alighting at Taormina-Giardini. Then there are regular buses to take you up the hill to Taormina, or you could take a taxi (see above). The train fare is 8 euros return, and the journey takes from 35 minutes.

http://www.lefrecce.it/B2CWeb/search.do?parameter=initAdvanceSearch&status=travel&newTrip=Y

We are sailing in October and would love to see the place where the Godfather (some of the scenes anyway) were filmed. Also to see Taormina would this be possible and recommendations for tour co's would be much appreciated .

Cheers

Scotslizzy

• 4 years later...

Hi fellow cruisers,

Just wondering if anyone has looked into tours for Sicily? As Mt Edna has recently had a little rumble I was looking at possibly giving this a miss and venture more into the older villages. I would like to go to Alcantara Gorge if possible if I can find a way to get there. Has anyone experienced a trip to the Gorge?

Alternative way to Taormina....

There is a train station a short walk from the ship. A group of 6 or 8 of us (all met on CC prior to Med Cruise) walked to the train station. Fortunately one of the couples had been there before so they knew just where to go. Since I am decent enough in the Italian language, I ordered tickets for the group from the ticket window. It's about a 45 min scenic train ride and for a few euros round trip. Just be sure to check the schedules for the return train.

You then have to take a bus to take you UP to the town of Taormina. I think 1 Euro. The bus is just outside the train station. You'll see others doing the same thing. Or I suppose you could walk. Lovely town with tons of tourists and this was in late October