Bored Kids?

bsailing

DH and I got stuck at a breakfast table with a family, grandparents, parents, and teenage boy who was acting bored and not happy to be on the ship.

This kid needed a serious attitude adjustment.

I really wanted to tell the kid off, but I didn't.

But I was really happy that I only had to be around the brat for one meal.

There is no way I would willingly have spent any more time with that brat.

I am with you. If children are bored on a cruise they do need an attitude adjustment and it would be there last cruise.

Our kids will be 18, 16 & 14 on this summer's cruise. Looking at our signature you'll see we started them about 8 year ago. Through the years, they've loved/disliked/been indifferent about the kid clubs, loved/disliked/been indifferent about hanging with us, loved/disliked/been indifferent about just about everything. Every 24 hours sometimes!!!

Last year the middle one was a blur (24/7 Club O2) but the others hung out more with us. Guess what--they each had the time of their life enjoying the vacation of their choosing.

BUT...I have never, ever, once, heard the word B-O-R-E-D.

I have 3 boys, 16, 14, 12. They aren't ever bored on a cruise, except maybe in port if I insist we do something like take a tour. I always make them go to Camp Carnival at least once to meet people. Once they do, they make friends to hang out with and I never see them again.

Definitely FORCE your kids to go to Camp Carnival at least once and meet the other people there. They'll be glad they did. Promise.

Go to Orientation (even if it interrupts dinner, even if they don't want to) because even if they NEVER go to camp, they will have met other teens to hang with.

Another rule...never, ever let your kids bring OTHER kids into the room. Make that rule!! Learned that the hard way...lost a very expensive necklace.

:mad:

But, like other parents have said...have them meet you for dinner (at least). That way you can check up on them. I sat with Kaitlin falling asleep during the appetizer one night, and had to let her go, but at least an effort was made!! (And yes, that is probably why the teen boy was surly...had to hang with the 'rents)

But I am pretty sure your kids will have fun...especially if they like basketball, pizza, hanging out, swimming, talking, movies, hanging out, ice cream, dancing, other kids....and if they like watching TV in the room...let them. But make it clear that they can do that at home, and they can do that next year at home while you have a romantic getaway!

HAVE FUN!!

I was kind of worried about my DS he will be turning 18 2 days before our cruise so he wouldn't be allowed to go to the clubs, which stinks because I know for sure he'd make some friends there. I am hoping he will make some friends on the ship anyway.

I was kind of worried about my DS he will be turning 18 2 days before our cruise so he wouldn't be allowed to go to the clubs, which stinks because I know for sure he'd make some friends there. I am hoping he will make some friends on the ship anyway.

is he still in school? take his information and he will be allowed to participate.

Im not worried about my kids being bored, but i am unsure if they will be comfortable going to camp carnival. My 3 daughters will be 2, 5 & 8 when we sail in July. I'm not expecting much for the 2 yo, but I would love to have the other two experience some of the fun and good times i have read about camp carnival.

anyone have any stories to share with me about their kids these ages?

is he still in school? take his information and he will be allowed to participate.

Really?? I thought he couldnt. Yes he will be a senior in september :) would his school id be enough? This is great news to me :) although im sure it will be a fun time getting him to the orientation.... Hmm i think i will tell him its mandatory ;) thanks so much :)

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?2ta0ge

My kids get mad at me when we make them spend time with me and my wife and cry the last night of the cruise because the don't want to leave there new friends DON'T WORRY :D

My DD cried on our last day too:( It was our kids' first cruise and they had a blast!

The only way I can imagine kids being bored on a ship is if they lacked imagination or personality, or if they had been there / done that and lived a life of indescribable fulfillment to which a cruise could never compare.

Agreed. They should be grateful that their parents are taking them on lavish vacations when they're a teenager. Jeez I'd be going out of my mind with excitement if I was fortunate enough to go on a cruise as a teenager.

Your boys will be fine. My kids were 12 and 15 for our first cruise and by the time we made our first port they had made many new friends that they are still in touch with today, over 8 years later.

Archived