On Board Credits

we2ding

I booked my 1st cruise through Expedia and I was given an On Board Credit. What are they good for? Can I use them for Internet Service or apply it to my On Board Gratuity Credit that will be due?

It depends on the source and whether you book thru Princess or a TA. For instance, I book thru a TA. The OBC for the FCC shows. The OBC for being a shareholder and any OBC from the TA do not show.

It depends on the source and whether you book thru Princess or a TA. For instance, I book thru a TA. The OBC for the FCC shows. The OBC for being a shareholder and any OBC from the TA do not show.

Thanks, I guess I need to call my TA. I haven't noticed anything on my personalizer so I was getting concerned.:(

I know that on my last cruise (jan 2012) my TA gave me an onboard credit. I received a card in my room (later on boarding day) informing me of the credit, but it took a couple of days for it to appear on my onboard account. It was good for anything (tips, excursions, drinks, etc.)

Supposing I had, as an example $200 OBC, and my wife had $100 on hers, do we have to use one up first or do they transfer the two at the end of the cruise. Both are being paid with my credit card

Supposing I had, as an example $200 OBC, and my wife had $100 on hers, do we have to use one up first or do they transfer the two at the end of the cruise. Both are being paid with my credit card

This subject has been aired quite a bit lately because one ship did it one way and others another way. It has always been that both accounts being paid with the same credit card were combined. Then, several months ago, we found that one of the ships had separated them and each had to use up their OBC. Playing it safe, we, my husband and I, are making sure that our balances go down to zero simultaneously. Whichever way we can get them there.

I know that they have combined ours and showed the net balance on the statements you get during the cruise. I always pay for our wine at dinner, so I use up my OBC before DW. So part way thru I owe money, but my wife still has a credit. They combine the balances and show the net, BUT this is for a statement in the middle of the criuse. We have always both owed by the end.

This subject has been aired quite a bit lately because one ship did it one way and others another way. It has always been that both accounts being paid with the same credit card were combined. Then, several months ago, we found that one of the ships had separated them and each had to use up their OBC. Playing it safe, we, my husband and I, are making sure that our balances go down to zero simultaneously. Whichever way we can get them there.

I know that they have combined ours and showed the net balance on the statements you get during the cruise. I always pay for our wine at dinner, so I use up my OBC before DW. So part way thru I owe money, but my wife still has a credit. They combine the balances and show the net, BUT this is for a statement in the middle of the criuse. We have always both owed by the end.

The experience Pia had when they were not combined at the end of the cruise did have them combined on the statements obtained during the cruise. That why it was a surprise at the end when they were not combined.

At the time it was just after a new accounting systen had been installed on the ship Pia was on.

It will be a credit to your onboard account and can be used for anything charged to the account. This includes drinks, internet, autotip, excursions, etc.

Autotip? Is that the same as On board gratuity that they add to your bill?

Autotip? Is that the same as On board gratuity that they add to your bill?

Yes, the autotip is the slang term for the On board gratutity or Hotel Service Charge that is added to your onboard account each day of the cruise.

Yes, the autotip is the slang term for the On board gratutity or Hotel Service Charge that is added to your onboard account each day of the cruise.

I read somewhere that they want you to pay that in cash? Is that true? I am thinking I will prepay my recommended amount through Princess.

I read somewhere that they want you to pay that in cash? Is that true? I am thinking I will prepay my recommended amount through Princess.

Not sure who the "THEY" is in your post, but I always leave on the autotip and settle the account with a credit card. I only give cash if I feel someone has really done extra.

I will have 200$ OBC (shareholder and 100$ OBC).

Husband will have 100.

What we usually do is..... we remember to use my card for purchases on ship, till we reach the amount of gratuities for me left on my charges.

Last year my under 21 wanted to order wine at Sabatini's for the table of 4 with his over 21 siblings, because he was told to do so by me....to put it on his- to use up his OBC....cause he had the extra military OBC.

We were doing Balcony Dining that night. ;) So they took it upon to book themselves to have an equally nice dinner!

Well because he was under 21, they had to put the charge on his older siblings card (which was fine- I hadn't realized- they were right of course)...so at the end my youngest had leftover OBC...which I had to go to passenger services and explain....and they gave me a cash refund which balanced the extra my oldest son had to pay.

It took more time to fix than I would have liked but truly appreciated Princess' handling of it.

Glad I realized it before cruise was over.

Bernadette

I always bring printouts showing any OBC, so I have proof to show if it is not appearing correctly.

Bernadette

You pay nothing on board in cash; all goes on to your shipboard account. Of course you can give extra tips in cash to those deserving it and also make arrangements to pay your final bill in cash if you so desire.

Archived