Insurance Qs for Scandinavia-Russia cruise and land

Alaskanb

Hello: In June 2013 we will be taking our 2nd cruise--the Emerald Princess Scandinavia/Russia (S-R) itinerary with at least one day precruise in Copenhagen and 4 days post cruise in the UK. We will be aged 72 and 63. DH is on medicare, I have a BCBS ppo plan.

On our first cruise (Island Princess -Alaska) we were not happy with the plan that the TA (AARP-Expedia) required that we purchase and added in the Travel Guard medevac plan and an Access America plan to cover our time on land and flights home. It gave us some overlapping coverage.

We booked the S-R cruise while onboard through Princess on May 27, 2012. Final payment due next March, 2013. I will probably transfer this to a local travel agent in the next few days--something I have never done before, even though we have travelled extensively, but the trip is a little complex and I need a little hand holding:(

The big question is how do I calculate the amount of insurance we will need? Is there one company that will cover all areas of insurance and still provide an adequate evac plan in Scandinavia and Russia? As I do not yet know the costs of flights, hotel, etc when do I do this so that pre-existing conditions are covered? Thanks--I am having difficulty thinking this through.

Hello: when do I do this so that pre-existing conditions are covered? Thanks--I am having difficulty thinking this through.

Cruiseco and Sirwired are a couple of folks who can help you with the few remaining options you have.

MOST companies will cover pre-existing conditions if you buy the insurance within 14 days of booking. You only have a couple of days to do this.

There are a couple of companies that provide coverage if you buy before final payment.

You don't need to calculate. You can buy insurance now for the cost of the cruise, then call the insurance company later and add on the hotels and air as you finalize. Then pay for the additional coverage.

I'm a true believer in TravelGuard myself, however, there are a couple of other companies that Cruiseco and Sirwired may offer their opinion on.

The big question is how do I calculate the amount of insurance we will need? Is there one company that will cover all areas of insurance and still provide an adequate evac plan in Scandinavia and Russia? As I do not yet know the costs of flights, hotel, etc when do I do this so that pre-existing conditions are covered? Thanks--I am having difficulty thinking this through.

First, there are many insurers that will cover your full trip costs and provide "adequate" evacuation coverage. What's "adequate" is up to you. $25K? $1M? That's your decision.

How much of your trip costs to insure depends on what plan you eventually choose. Some will require that you insure 100% of your pre-paid, non-refundable trip costs in order to be eligible for their coverage for pre-existing medical conditions. Other insurers offer this coverage no matter how much of your trip cost you insure. Go here for more information:

http://www.travelinsurancebasics.com/howmuch.php

Travel Guard and Access America are the two worst companies I have ever dealt with. If you are hoping to have evacuation coverage, it didn't matter that I had paid for one-milllion dollars worth of coverage, Travel guard refused to evacuate my husband. Their decisions were made by a paramedic. They refused to provide the covered, translated, telephone conference between his personal physician and the treating physician in Italy because, according to them, the treating physician had to request the conference, but they would not tell him he could do so. They also had knowledge from the cruise line that the hospital was not adequate for his care but refused to either evacuate him. They offered to transfer him from Palermo, Sicily to Rome, but would not transfer me.

If you want a better guaranty of medical evacuation, on top of whatever travel insurance you purchase, get a separate policy from MedJet Assist. As an AARP member you get a nice discount and it's worth the price of peace of mind. With this company, you and the doctors, not the insurance company, decides if the patient should be evacuated.

Insurance companies are not in business to pay claims. Little ones don't bother them, but when you are looking at 6 figures to get a patient back from Europe to the US, you can bet they will do everything they can to squirm out of their contractual obligation.

I use Travelex and they allow me to pay the lowest amount on cruises that are booked now but won't take place for a year or more. That way I don't have to shell out the entire cost of the premium so early, but still meet the requirements for covering pre-existing conditions. Once I book air fare, I'll add that to the policy. The same with a pre-cruise hotel and any pre-paid excursions.

With Travelex you can always add more to your coverage. I don't believe you can reduce it.

Archived