Bore tides at Turnagain Arm?

Seminolevet

We will be driving from Anchorage to Seward on July 19th, and would like to experience the bore tide along the way along Turnagain Arm. The tidal charts indicate the tide will be -0.8 at 5:11pm that day. Is this significant enough to be worth it? Because of the timing, we're having to choose between being there for the tide or spending more time in Seward and visiting the Sealife Center.

Thanks!!:D

We will be driving from Anchorage to Seward on July 19th, and would like to experience the bore tide along the way along Turnagain Arm. The tidal charts indicate the tide will be -0.8 at 5:11pm that day. Is this significant enough to be worth it? Because of the timing, we're having to choose between being there for the tide or spending more time in Seward and visiting the Sealife Center.

Thanks!!:D

Nope, it's not signficant, you need at least a -2 and frankly, a -3 to really see it

That's what I thought, but the tide chart still had three stars near the date, so I second guessed myself. Guess that means we have a reason to return to Alaska on another trip, right? ;) Thanks for the quick responses guys!

I was driving back from a clamming trip to Nililchik (with a quick run to Homer) on tuesday when I hit the tide of bores. I have never seen so much traffic on the Seward highway in the 36 years I've lived here. No kidding. It looked like they were evacuating the city!.

They were all there to see the bore tide.

I have seen a few bore tides over the years and they can be interesting. But in reality, all they are a wave that moves into Turnagain arm. The wave can be small or big. But from the edge f the highway, it looks like a line moving across the floor of the arm.

Many years ago I got to experience a bore tide up close. We were hooligan (that's a smelt you catch with a dip net) in the arm when the tide came in. We all had to scramble up the rocks as this wave came barreling up the arm. I then went by and the sea was calm again.

You would not want to standing in the water when they wave hit. The would probably never find you.

I was driving back from a clamming trip to Nililchik (with a quick run to Homer) on tuesday when I hit the tide of bores. I have never seen so much traffic on the Seward highway in the 36 years I've lived here. No kidding. It looked like they were evacuating the city!.

I have never seen Turnagain Arm so packed with traffic. I drove down to Bird Point that normally takes about 20 minutes, took 1 hour due to the traffic. This isn’t the best photo of the bore tide although there are some nice ones at Daily News website. Also nice aerial footage from someone in the helicopter on the news last night.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102646543533558914776/November62011#5751338393242860434

lol. That's because on Monday they wrote about it in the adn as one of the best bore tides in years. We had several friends that also tried to look but got hung up in traffic.

lol. That's because on Monday they wrote about it in the adn as one of the best bore tides in years. We had several friends that also tried to look but got hung up in traffic.

I was going the other way-back to Anchorage and it was unbelievable. Every parking lot, every pull out every conceivable place to pull off the road from Girdwood to The weigh station was packed-I mean packed. ANd the line of cars stretched all the way from the way station to the hill past Portage. It also helped that t was a sunny day. Obviously anyone who get get out of work early did so. THe poor guys who are stuck there till 5 pm had no place to park except along the highway-which was filling up fast.

I've seen the normal bore tides on Turnagain Arm many times and enjoy seeing them could woud not give up time at the SeaLife Center to do so.

It is not the Bay of Fundy!

Very true. As I was driving, I noticed that a good many people had to sit and wait for an hour or more before the tide showed up. I thought-"that's why they are called 'BORE' tides". :D

And then what appears in the Anchorage Daily News, 3 people had to be rescued because of them and the bore tide. Some people just never learn.

Susan in Anchorage :)

There were many scrambling past the railroad tracks and across the rocks. Parents allowing their kids to play at the waterline while waiting for the bore tide. Could have been worse.

There were many scrambling past the railroad tracks and across the rocks. Parents allowing their kids to play at the waterline while waiting for the bore tide. Could have been worse.

I have seen people actually swimming in that water. Pure idiots! The shore and the water are extremely dangerous areas with rescue being dangerous and often impossible for the person in trouble and for those attempting the rescues!

Some of us old timers who know Alaska well likely recall all too many of the details of a horrible tragedy that happened along the shore of Turnagain Arm years ago. It was so awful that none of us will ever step foot on that shore or touch that water. But new residents of Alaska and many visitors don't take the warning signs seriously enough.

Please be wise!

And then what appears in the Anchorage Daily News, 3 people had to be rescued because of them and the bore tide. Some people just never learn.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Those particular idiots walked out to the rocks in front of McHugh creek at low tide. Next thing they know the tide comes in and they are stuck.....Some people are two idiotic to think things through.....

Those particular idiots walked out to the rocks in front of McHugh creek at low tide. Next thing they know the tide comes in and they are stuck.....Some people are two idiotic to think things through.....

I feel sorry for those who put their lives at risk to rescue people who do such foolish things.

Archived