Restaurant recommendations : Rome please!

EOS-User

We are a party of 4 young(ish) retirees and will be spending 4 days in Rome at the end of our cruise :)

While there we will be celebrating two special birthdays on different days and are looking for recommendations for two 'decent' (but not ridiculous-priced) restaurants in Rome. Almost any food-type is acceptable, although we feel that one s/be a 'proper' Italian...

Any suggestions gratefully received :)

Cheers...

Last year we were also 4 days in Rome after the cruise and stayed near the Ciampino airport. We found a great really typical Italian restaurant (not too many tourists :D) .

L'Allegra Fattoria, Via delle Capannelle 93, Roma.

(not really in the centre of town but should you have a rental car, it's a must.

We wanted to try it once... we were there for the rest of the stay every evening.

Enjoy ! :)

We had a great time at La Carovana Pazza. I have been here a couple of times. It is a relaxed fun spot.

Although they do cater to groups, they have a lovely outdoor dining area and the food is quite good.

They have different entertainers and the pricing is quite reasonable.

I would recommend you go over to the chowhound boards and look in the Italy forum. I only had one "proper" sit-down dinner in Rome (the rest were just stopping in a bar or pizza place and grabbing a bite). It was Armando al Pantheon. It's just a few buildings down from the Pantheon. Small, good selection of food, family run. They have a website. the website is in italian, but if you go to the menus, they do have some English translations on them. If you send them an email in English about reservations, they will reply in English.

Here's a couple of suggestions, have been to all many times and have been consistent over the years.

For a nice relaxed evening meal probably I'd probably choose Edy, if wanted something more lively for evening meal or lunch I'd choose Hostaria Romana

and for an informal meal any time or if I was just thirsty I'd choose the Antica Birreria Peroni

Edy

Vicolo del Babuino, 4

00187 Roma

+39 06 3600 1738

Near the Spanish steps,nice atmosphere, great food, especially the slow cooked meats, get a table inside (service quicker) good value

Antica Birreria Peroni

Via di San Marcello, 19

00187 Roma

+39 06 679 5310

anticabirreriaperoni.com

Near the Trevi, good wholesome food,great beer, always busy, good for a quick lunch or evening meal, they turn the tables around quickly, a bustling atmosphere, not expensive.

Hostaria Romana

Via del Boccaccio, 1

00187 Roma+39 06 474 5284

hostariaromana.it

Just down from the Palazzo Barberini just off off the Via Rasella

The wait staff are very entertaining in their own right, popular with locals especially at lunchtime, good food, nice ambiance, good value.

Food is a personal thing, these establishments I've used, found not too expensive and have been consistent...they are'nt Michelen star restaurants but serve good local dishes consistently well.

As the saying goes just my 10cents worth!

Consider Bella Napoli. It is a few blocks north of St. Peter's/Vatican at

Via Simone de Saint Bon, 57, 00195 Rome, Italy. Check out the reviews on Trip Advisor. We had lunch at the sidewalk tables, but all the people inside were locals. They had a traditional antipasti bar inside of things I had never seen before but chickened out and ordered eggplant parmagiana and wine, wonderful. Next time I will brave the antipasti and order pizza with langostini, mussles and clams.

We are a party of 4 young(ish) retirees and will be spending 4 days in Rome at the end of our cruise :)

While there we will be celebrating two special birthdays on different days and are looking for recommendations for two 'decent' (but not ridiculous-priced) restaurants in Rome. Almost any food-type is acceptable, although we feel that one s/be a 'proper' Italian...

Any suggestions gratefully received :)

Cheers...

We just got home after spending five days in Rome as part of a land vacation. Here are some new discoveries and some old favorites:

L'Angeletto: (in Piazza Rotondini slightly north of the Pantheon) excellent, well-priced traditional food; if you like popcorn shrimp, try the moscardini which is baby calamari prepared like popcorn shrimp; prices have crept up in the fifteen years we've begun every trip to Rome with a dinner there. In the beginning, every meal ended with a bottle of home made limencello being placed on the table and told to drink and enjoy; At some point, patrons were served a single glass of limoncello; This time, we bought our own to keep our tradition alive

Grano: (right next door to L'Angeletto) excellent versions of the classics along with modern cuisine; for example, I ate tuna (from the Adriatic) prepared as tartare while my husband ate absolutely classic meatballs in tomato sauce

Focaccia: (across from the Santa Maria della Pace church) bargain basement prices/no-frills destination just outside of the Piazza Navonna. Serves excellent traditional food including Neapolitan pizza if you're not interested in the cracker-thin, crispy Roman style pizza; incdientally Raphael frescoes inside the church; Note: There is no signage for this restaurant! That in itself should tell you you've arrived. If you stand with your back to the della Pace church, this restaurant will be the first one on your right.

Osteria Corte del Grillo: (Salida del Grillo -- tucked away in the tiny historic streets of Monti area -- close to Trajan's Market and the back of the Augustan forum) exquisite fish, seafood and pasta with fish/seafood dishes; If you order carefully, you'll be able to have one of your special meals here with breaking the bank; on the other hand if you order the spiny lobster salad Catalan style, you will pay 128 Euros for that dish alone. (Of course the dish is delicious and eaily enough to feed two as an entree or four as an antipasti)

Taverna dei Fori Imperiali: (Via Madonna dei Monti -- also tucked away in Monti -- about four blocks from Corte dell Grillo); lovely classic food, charming hosts; the sort of place you'll make repeated visits to

Hello all;

My apologies for the delayed 'thank-yous'... but thank-you for these suggestions...

Looks like it's gonna be a case of 'so much to eat; so little time' :-)

Now off to look at their web sites...

Cheers...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

We had a great time at Foccaccia. It is just a few blocks from the Piazza Navona, by Santa Maria church. The place seems to be frequented by many locals, which is definitely a good sign. We had margherita di bufala, fettucine with bacon, pecorino cheese and saltimbocca. The food was superb.

Not sure where you are staying, but on our last trip (our 3rd) to Rome we ended up eating TWICE at Panzirone. It is located right on Piazza Navonna. We ate outside and enjoyed the people-watching.

The first night I had homemade ravioli (made by the owners mother) and the second night I had a wonderful lamb stew. Both nights I had the pumpkin soup (which I had never had before) and it was delicious !

http://www.panzirone.it/en/menu.php

Bon appétit !

Our exceptional tour guide in Rome suggested that we eat at Trattoria Moderna, http://www.trattoriamoderna.it, V.Lo dei Chiodarili, 16. An excellent meal all around. He had recommended a ginger and something filet for the entree, and it was fantastic, but DW and I had some wonderful early courses as well.

We had a very nice lunch with some exceptional early courses at Ristorante Grotte del Teatro di Pompeo, Via del Biscione, 73-74.

There is also a Caffe Ruberto, and we had a great lunch, but I do not have an address.

Archived