Have I got this right?

When we get into Fort Lauderdale - we go to the store and get 2 bottles of wine, 2 - 12 packs of (up to 20oz-realistically 16oz) of juice or pop.

We then empty one of our carry on bags (they have rollers) and put the beverages in there.

What was in the carry now gets re-deposited in our large luggage (as weight doesn't matter as much now as the airline where we are limited also to only 2 bags 2 carry ons).

We will take one change of clothes and our swimsuits out of the luggage and put into a back pack to use until we can get in our room.

Do you put some toiletries in the second carry on bag at this point too?

All this re-shuffling will be done at the stay over hotel night before.

Is this how you do it? Have I got it all straight?

Sounds like a plan. They empty space after you drink up everything, you can bring back duty-free booze, t-shirts or other souvenirs. Have a great cruise. BTW, I'm assuming you packed a small collapsible cooler?

You can do it that way, or you can simply carry the soda etc in , if you have carry on with wheels you can set it on there and roll on in

I have even tagged water and/or soda and had that delivered to the cabin

Have fun on your cruise !!

A little off topic, but I was unaware you could bring alchohol on board with you. Is there a policy for that?

Every adult PAX is allowed to carry-on one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne. No corkage fee unless opened in the MDR and even then, not always charged ($15).

Every adult PAX is allowed to carry-on one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne. No corkage fee unless opened in the MDR and even then, not always charged ($15).

I'm not a huge wine drinker, is a bottle of rum allowed or is it restricted to wine and champagne.

I'm not a huge wine drinker, is a bottle of rum allowed or is it restricted to wine and champagne.

No booze permitted. Your choices are limited to smuggling, ordering up to 4 bottles with a call to Bon Voyage or ordering a bottle from Room Service once aboard. Although the BV prices are high, it will still save you money when comparing the 1 liter bottle vs. the per drink cost from the ship-board bars.

Have fun on your cruise !!

You can try this but be aware that it may not work. The official policy is that it must be in your carry-on and they have been enforcing this more strictly. Seems to depend on the port, though, as some people are still able to send it through with checked luggage.

Did they raise the corkage, too? I thought it was $10?

I think you got it. To get an additional case of soda, you can use a heavy winter coat and duct tape the cans to the inside shell then walk it right on.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Only if you want to set off the metal detector.

Yep, OP, you got it, thats how we do it. Each one of us has a carry on bag, the heavy one with soda/wine I carry and DW carries the one with change of clothes, toiletries, camera, medications, you know the important stuff you dont want to check. We get it all sorted out at the hotel the night before boarding, repacking from the flight in.

Have fun!

I'm confused as to why you're reshuffling it at all?

Size/weight limitatations of the airlines: Thus for the flight you pack to meet those restrictions, then repack to meet the needs of boarding the ship.

No booze permitted. Your choices are limited to smuggling, ordering up to 4 bottles with a call to Bon Voyage or ordering a bottle from Room Service once aboard. Although the BV prices are high, it will still save you money when comparing the 1 liter bottle vs. the per drink cost from the ship-board bars.

So you can order a bottle from room service if you run out of the booze you order from bon voyage? Are the prices the same?

I'm assuming the one bottle of wine/champagne is for those over 21, correct? Could our 18-year-old bring 2 packs of soda (one mine, one his) and I carry the two bottles of wine?

16 days and counting!

One bottle of win for everyone over 21. You can put all soda in one bag as long as you are boarding together.

We took a large empty duffel bag - they fold really flat. Put it in the outside pocket of the garment bag for the flight. Emptied our roller carry on for our water and pop, and placed the original contents into the duffel. Then the duffel we gave to the porters. Worked good for us.

when was your last cruise that you have done this.

Carnival NOW states all must be carried on. (porter should not even take a case of water with luggage tags on it

That's exactly what we do. You dont want to have to carry a bag of soda around. It's bad enough having to wheel a bag around. Our cabin steward was awesome and our cooler was always full of ice. Gave a nice extra tip at the end of our cruise.

Archived