Yukon Jeep Adventure & Klondike Summit

tracyd1014

A car rental is a simple tour option. Certainly going into the Yukon can be a highlight for many. If all day in port, doing the drive, would still offer you time to "people watch" at the Red Onion. :)

We've also booked this ... in fact this is one of the only two ship-arranged excursions we have booked ... so interested to hear others' feedback. We'll go at the end of July.

We normally do most stuff independently but I liked the idea of being in a jeep with two other people to share driving (we're just the two of us) and the "guide" to give us insights and background. To be fair, I did not research the option of renting a jeep on our own. Normally when we drive places, my spouse ends up doing all the driving and I feel like he misses out on just being able to sit back and sight-see; I thought this alternative might be better.

My understanding is that this Princess excursion is for 24 people (so 6 jeeps) max -- that also convinced me as we quite dislike the 40+ person bus tours.

I hope someone who's been on this excursion will chime in as well.

We've also booked this ... in fact this is one of the only two ship-arranged excursions we have booked ... so interested to hear others' feedback. We'll go at the end of July.

We normally do most stuff independently but I liked the idea of being in a jeep with two other people to share driving (we're just the two of us) and the "guide" to give us insights and background. To be fair, I did not research the option of renting a jeep on our own. Normally when we drive places, my spouse ends up doing all the driving and I feel like he misses out on just being able to sit back and sight-see; I thought this alternative might be better.

My understanding is that this Princess excursion is for 24 people (so 6 jeeps) max -- that also convinced me as we quite dislike the 40+ person bus tours.

I hope someone who's been on this excursion will chime in as well.

Yes, they do load up the jeeps with 4 people, 1 being the driver. You are radio connected to your "guide". You have flawed thinking- there is no "missing out on sightseeing. It is a lazy 2 lane road, with everything layed out in front of you. Plenty of areas to stop and pull over- which you won't be doing with a jeep tour. I've seen these tours many times. It is a very high cost for a follow the leader with likely another unknown couple. The distance is usually much shorter than most tours.

There are many "bus" tours with far fewer people than you are talking about, many with less than 20 people, and especially of interest, as the guide is with you, and all you have to do is- hey, what's that, can we stop for a minute- and guess what, you usually do. :) Murray's Guide is highly detailed, and usually far more descriptive than the jeep tour, you still may want to consider purchasing a copy and looking it over before you go- it would enhance your trip, as the guide will never mention everything in the guide.

Enjoy your trip- it's your chosen tour- which I'm sure you will have a good time.

We went in a van as a group and had a blast. Loved the Yukon

we saw a lot of "green jeeps" which is apparently a company there who rents these jeeps

They looked new and nice and our guide, Tom spoke well of them if you are on your own, family want to tour alone.

We did see some green jeep people get OUT of their jeeps to photograph some bears which Tom said was stupid...eek...we took good pics from inside

We had another young/teen bear who was running around/behind our van, looking at us...I thought he "waved" to me LOL>> thankfully the green jeep peeps were not there or they might have been lunch

Have fun

We're going to be one of those "Green Jeep" people, who rent our own Jeep for the day. Haven't gone yet, but this excursion seemed more up our alley than a guide led follow the leader trip. I have printed Murray's Guide, and my hubby and I plan on taking the day to make it up to Emerald Lake and back, stopping at some off road trails along the way (offered by Jeanne).

Can't comment on the quality of the excursion as we haven't gone yet, but I'm encouraged to hear of other tour operators positive reviews of them. This might be a good option for you if you want a more DIY Jeep experience. :)

Yes, they do load up the jeeps with 4 people, 1 being the driver. You are radio connected to your "guide". You have flawed thinking- there is no "missing out on sightseeing. It is a lazy 2 lane road, with everything layed out in front of you. Plenty of areas to stop and pull over- which you won't be doing with a jeep tour. I've seen these tours many times. It is a very high cost for a follow the leader with likely another unknown couple. The distance is usually much shorter than most tours.

There are many "bus" tours with far fewer people than you are talking about, many with less than 20 people, and especially of interest, as the guide is with you, and all you have to do is- hey, what's that, can we stop for a minute- and guess what, you usually do. :) Murray's Guide is highly detailed, and usually far more descriptive than the jeep tour, you still may want to consider purchasing a copy and looking it over before you go- it would enhance your trip, as the guide will never mention everything in the guide.

Enjoy your trip- it's your chosen tour- which I'm sure you will have a good time.

Sorry, but I believe the poster is probably a first timer to Alaska. Lack of knowledge about ports and excursions does not make one a "flawed thinker". Your statememt implies the poster does not have the ability to think logically or have the ability to reason. Totally insulting.

Archived