Helsinki HOHO

We'd like to do a HOHO bus tour in Helsinki, but I can't find whether the HOHO will be at the pier or whether we'll need to get into town to find it. We'll be on the Eurodam June 29, a Friday.

Also, what is the best way to get from Market Square back to the ship? Not sure about walking distance or if we'll need transportation.

Thanks for any tips!

I can't help you with the the Ho-Ho bus but there should be a shuttle bus from the ship to the city centre. This is the only port where we have ever had to pay for a shuttle. Last year the Port Authority shuttle bus was 5 Euros/£5/$6.

It's about a 15 minute journey to the city centre and then there's a few minutes walk to the Market Square.

We'd like to do a HOHO bus tour in Helsinki, but I can't find whether the HOHO will be at the pier or whether we'll need to get into town to find it. We'll be on the Eurodam June 29, a Friday.

Also, what is the best way to get from Market Square back to the ship? Not sure about walking distance or if we'll need transportation.

Thanks for any tips!

In mid-May, the HoHo bus was right at the pier. This was the only HoHo that did not accept credit cards. We paid 10 Euros each because we had used the HoHo in a previous port. Otherwise, it would have been 13 Euros each.

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I've also seen now in other threads that we can use bus 16 to get from town to the pier, LHB Hernesaari. Tickets for that bus may be purchased on board, from what I understand, and there is the option to purchase an all-day pass for 7 Euro, which would even include a ferry to the fortress.

It's great to hear that the HOHO bus may be right at the pier. If it is, I think that will be our plan. If not, we may switch to a public transport plan. We'll see!

In mid-May, the HoHo bus was right at the pier. This was the only HoHo that did not accept credit cards. We paid 10 Euros each because we had used the HoHo in a previous port. Otherwise, it would have been 13 Euros each.

I gave you the wrong price. It was more like 25 euros per person in Helsinki. The 10 euro price was in Tallinn.

Hello,

if there isn't a HOHO for you, take a bus to Market Square. The tourist office is right across the road and the buses start in front of the office. All your other information is correct. Depending on the company, the tickets will be 25-30 euros per person.

I thought I'd share this helpful reply from the company:

The bus will arrive in the port (stop 4 yellow route) at 8am and depart at 8:32am and then every 30min. thereafter. Tickets can be purchased online at
or just outside the security gates, look for our staff dressed in green tops. Should you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Hello! I was in Helsinki on May 30th. There were two different HOHO buses waiting right at the pier when we got off the ship. They leave about every 1/2 hour. It was about 25 euros per person or for a little more you can purchase the bus & the boat ride. We just did the bus. This is what it looked like:

ry%3D400

This company had two routes that went pretty much all over the city and they stuck pretty close to the times displayed.

• 1 month later...

We were in Helsinki last July. It was raining pretty heavily, so we decided the HOHO bus would be a good option. We were on Princess. The green HOHO bus (see photo in posting above) was at the pier - we asked if the same line would return to the pier and we were told yes.

Later in the day, we got back on the HOHO and headed back to the pier. Except the bus went back to the Royal Caribbean pier !!! We asked if the Princess pier was next - and we were told they do NOT return to the Princess pier during the day. We jumped off at the next stop and started walking briskly in the direction of our pier (around the bend and across from the RCCL pier). Few taxis passed us, and those that did were full.

Finally we flagged an empty taxi. The driver did not speak any English, so we used a lot of hand signals and photos of the ship, etc. Luckily we had given ourselves 2 hours to get back to the ship....

Knock on wood, this is the first (and only) time we've come close to worrying we might not make it back after a DIY excursion in port.... If you take the HOHO bus from your pier MAKE SURE THEY CAN GUARANTEE it will bring you back to the same pier! Otherwise, just plan on paying for a taxi from town to get back to your ship.

Aside from the wrong pier incident, HOHO was very easy to use, pretty much on schedule, and got us to all the main sites.

Have fun !

Archived