Best premium Economy flights and best ff programs

hulamoon

I am stalking flight prices. Most are about the same economy price. But I found an air France premium economy flying Boeing 757 and airbus a380. One leg is delta.

It is 300 dollars extra for premium for 22 and 24 hour flights. Yes, I know insane.

I need to get my miles earned in one program, has anyone done current comparisons? Thanks for helping out.

I have heard Alaskan had a good plan,wondered if it was the best. We have 400,000 miles spread out, and am willing to get loyal to one club if it gets me upgrades.

My tolerance of economy has really slipped.

Is sky team or one world better in comfort or benefits?

I have heard Alaskan had a good plan,wondered if it was the best. We have 400,000 miles spread out, and am willing to get loyal to one club if it gets me upgrades.

Is sky team or one world better in comfort or benefits?

It is impossible to answer without a LOT more info from you. If you are talking about upgrades between Hawaii and the mainland, or international upgrades, that's a different ball game than domestic upgrading. Also, how many BIS miles do you do in a year? That's more relevant than what you have in the bank right now.

Many many many discussion threads over at FT on picking a program. Much depends on your travel patterns, frequency and spending combined with the all important question -- what you you want to get from your FF program, in a prioritized, and valuated, list.

I'd rather be giving you this start than just offhandedly naming a program. Hope you understand.

We travel to the mainland once to five times a year and to Europe or Australia. I can handle most classes to the coast, but want to get at least premium economy for any flight exceeding 6 hours.

Currently have 440,000 Hawaiian miles. 216,000 on delta, 98,000 on united. 16,000 American. Combined with husband.

This year we went have been to Barcelona for TA already and are working plans for rt Europe again in November.

Thanks for sharing knowledge.

You pretty much have to stay with one airline to get upgrades of any sort, even if it is just better seats in that back. You have to travel lots to get free business class upgrades (or pay lots of miles + $ for a shot at mileage-paid upgrades).

Combined miles doesn't do any good as you can't combine them for awards without a large financial cost (doesn't make sense to transfer).

As for your original question, I understand that Air France premium economy is actually a separate product with different seats and not jut the same seats with more leg room. $300 if it is for R/T may be well spent.

Yes, moving miles around does have a high cost. It is hardly worth moving your AA miles either into your own account or to your husband's.

The best use for air miles (my opinion) is not the purchasing of seats outright, but using money to buy your seats and your airline miles to gain your upgrades. Your 216,000 Delta miles (evidently partly yours and partly your husbands) may be your best place to start. You buy a 'starter' ticket using each of your ff#'2 and then money to upgrade in class. Delta does offer deals with some $ and some Delta miles as well, but I don't know if they can be upgraded.

Check Delta's WEB site for a great deal of handy information.

Because of my work, I maintain AA, Delta and British Air as our booking dept goes for price first. For my own travel I study a great deal and even pay for help from the airline's telephone answering folks when a ticketing situation gets complicated.

On most airlines the only status that matters these days is what you earn by actual flying. The miles you earn from other sources including buying them from the airlines, basically are good only for getting tickets.

The best use for air miles (my opinion) is not the purchasing of seats outright, but using money to buy your seats and your airline miles to gain your upgrades. Your 216,000 Delta miles (evidently partly yours and partly your husbands) may be your best place to start. You buy a 'starter' ticket using each of your ff#'2 and then money to upgrade in class. Delta does offer deals with some $ and some Delta miles as well, but I don't know if they can be upgraded.

I will differ on this strategy, especially with DL. On DL, mileage upgrades are not available on all fares, and for international flights (and Hawaii), only on Y, B or M buckets. So you are paying a pretty stiff for the right to then use miles to upgrade. As for the $$ and miles, that's available just for those with the DL credit card. Also, you would only get a $0.01 value for the miles on that deal.

Gary Leff has an post on this question at HIS BLOG. It includes links to an article he wrote for Conde Nast. You may want to read and evaluate his take.

I am stalking flight prices. Most are about the same economy price. But I found an air France premium economy flying Boeing 757 and airbus a380. One leg is delta.

It is 300 dollars extra for premium for 22 and 24 hour flights. Yes, I know insane.

I need to get my miles earned in one program, has anyone done current comparisons? Thanks for helping out.

i'm not sure of what you are asking, but i would gladly pay an upcharge of $300 for that long of a flight.

Thanks ctheworld, read 80 dollars was the most anyone should pay, but, I think I will pay more to limit discomfort.

comfort comes with a price. i recently paid 120 (each way) for the bulkhead row - long flight to beijing - and it was worth every penny. 300 for longer flights than that sounds like a bargain. was that 300 total or each way?

Archived