Chankanaab with disabilities

Boozebabe

I have Arthritis and have difficulties at the beach. Actually I can't get in and out of the water at most beaches. I understand that the snorkeling area at Chankanaab is rocky. Are there steps of some sort to get in and out of the water?

I think there is a pool there too so I won't miss the actual beach swimming. Am I correct about the pool?

• 2 weeks later...
I have Arthritis and have difficulties at the beach. Actually I can't get in and out of the water at most beaches. I understand that the snorkeling area at Chankanaab is rocky. Are there steps of some sort to get in and out of the water?

I think there is a pool there too so I won't miss the actual beach swimming. Am I correct about the pool?

There are stairs for you to enter the water in the snorkeling area. If the water is alittle rough it can make it alittle difficult. There is a pool also.

If you have trouble getting in and out of the water at most beaches; I would not recommend Chankanaab. The last time we were there, the steps and rail can be slippery and any wave movement is only going to accentuate that.

Maybe one of the all-inclusive beachs on the island that have a pool might work better?

Or, if you want to see the rest of the park, maybe try a beach at another port?

I agree with others. If you have problems getting in and out at a regular beach, Chankanaab is probably not for you. They have stones as steps in certain places and then iron/aluminum ?? steps at other places. The water crashes up on them over and over and just getting in and out with flippers is kind of hard. The steps are also slippery, but there is a handrail to hold on to. Also, when you get to the last step, it's pretty much a drop off right in to the water. There doesn't seem to be a place that you just step onto the sand and go.

IMG7989-M.jpg

Archived