Celebrity 7 Hour Denali Tundra Tour

Mancuso

Has anyone been in the 7 hour Celebrity Tundra Tour in Delali with kids (9 & 12)?

Are you on the bus the whole time?

Is it exciting?

Thanks,

The only advice I can offer is to avoid the Natural History Tour. I can tell you from experience that it does not go far enough into the park and we saw no wildlife. The people who opted for the longer tour (probably the one you are considering) saw a lot of wildlife - bears, moose, etc. This was in mid-August.

This is the Tundra Wilderness tour, not exclusive to Celebrity. Very few kids go on these bus trips, you have a stop about every 1 1/2 hours. Kids rarely are interested in scenery which is a significant part of this tour. Wildlife opportunties are excellent but most of the time - way off in the distance so have a pair of binoculars for everyone. You may want to consider taking along game boy type electronic games and a portable DVD player with plenty of batteries. There is no way "out" of this tour, you will be on it for the duration of the 6++ hours, going 53 miles into the park.

The only advice I can offer is to avoid the Natural History Tour. I can tell you from experience that it does not go far enough into the park and we saw no wildlife. The people who opted for the longer tour (probably the one you are considering) saw a lot of wildlife - bears, moose, etc. This was in mid-August.

Mike

I see from your list that you did Summit Cruisetour in 2003. Which one did you do? We are doing #19. Unfortunately I booked it before I did any research. The only thing we can do in Denali is the Natural History Tour it is included. So I assume that we will be wasting our time? What exactly does it show and where do you go?

Thanks for any info.

Anne Maria

Mike

I see from your list that you did Summit Cruisetour in 2003. Which one did you do? We are doing #19. Unfortunately I booked it before I did any research. The only thing we can do in Denali is the Natural History Tour it is included. So I assume that we will be wasting our time? What exactly does it show and where do you go?

Thanks for any info.

Anne Maria

Yes this is a big mistake. For clairfication Denali Park is seen via the Park Road into the Park. Tours and shuttle buses go various distances in. Clearly MORE is better here for scenery and wildlife possibilities. The Natural History tour goes to mile 17, only so so scenery and little chance of any wildlife. The Tundra Wilderness tour AND Toklat Shuttle go to mile 53, the shuttle is 1/3 the price and just as good. Fish Creek via shuttle is mile 63 and my min. recommendation into the Park, Wonder Lake mile 85. So you can hopefully understand the options there that the cruise tours will never tell you. ( I never can understand their photos of Wonder Lake in their brochures when NONE Of the tours offer the availabity to get there???) Anyway- my suggestion to you- if at all possible- change this worthless tour, if at all possible. An option would be to consider the shuttle to Toklat and request a refund of the tour. Book this your self.

Is there another option to the 7 hour tour that might be more suitable for young children?

Thanks

NONE that I recommend for the adults?? Which I feel is the priority here. Consider my suggestions above for the games and DVD. They are old enough for some interest and the ability to occupy themselves. Be well prepared for few if any kids on the cruisetour portion. Not ideal compared to going on your own. Again, the games and DVD is good advice in my opinion.

Mike

Thanks for any info.

Anne Maria

Hi Anne Maria!

I am not sure our exact tour is offered this year. We started in Fairbanks for 2 nights. We then took the Wilderness Express train to Denali and spent one night. It was then back on the train to Talkeetna and we spent 2 nights. Finally we took a coach from Talkeetna to Alyeska for one night with a lunch stop in Anchorage. The final day we took the coach to the ship and sailed south to Vancouver. The ship itinerary included Hubbard Glacier, Skagway, Sitka, Juneau, and Ketchikan.

We were offered an upgrade to the Tundra tour during the initial train leg, but the guide kind of talked us out of it. She also said we would not be able to go to Cabin Night (a touisty, but fun, dinner theatre at Denali) if we took the longer tour. I wish we had opted for the Tundra tour and caught a late dinner at the lodge. Hopefully, you will have the same option.

Have a great cruisetour and enjoy Alaska!

Is there another option to the 7 hour tour that might be more suitable for young children?Thanks
We did the Tundra Wilderness Tour last year with 3 kids, then aged 5, 11, and 13. My kids enjoyed the trip! There was always something to look at, and they really never seemed bored. We travel frequently, and much of our sightseeing involves wildlife or bird watching, so they are used to this kind of excursion......but you know your own children better than any one else, and if you think they won't be all that interested in wildlife and wilderness, then I would follow Budget Queen's advice and bring along some electronics to keep them busy.

Don't consider switching for a shorter trip, however -- the real highlights for the kids are the wildlife sightings, and for those you need to get deeper into the park than the shorter tours allow.

Hi Anne Maria!

I am not sure our exact tour is offered this year. We started in Fairbanks for 2 nights. We then took the Wilderness Express train to Denali and spent one night. It was then back on the train to Talkeetna and we spent 2 nights. Finally we took a coach from Talkeetna to Alyeska for one night with a lunch stop in Anchorage. The final day we took the coach to the ship and sailed south to Vancouver. The ship itinerary included Hubbard Glacier, Skagway, Sitka, Juneau, and Ketchikan.

We were offered an upgrade to the Tundra tour during the initial train leg, but the guide kind of talked us out of it. She also said we would not be able to go to Cabin Night (a touisty, but fun, dinner theatre at Denali) if we took the longer tour. I wish we had opted for the Tundra tour and caught a late dinner at the lodge. Hopefully, you will have the same option.

Have a great cruisetour and enjoy Alaska!

We are only doing the 3 day land tour. We fly into Anchorage and stay overnight, then it's off to Denali. It says when we get to Denali we have the Dinner Theater. Then the next morning we go into the park for the "Natural History Tour". After that there is supposedly an inclusive lunch and then it's off to Talkeetna. We will be in Talkeetna by the late afternoon because there is an option for a 4:30 PM McKinley Flight and Landing Tour. Then the next day it's from Talkeetna to Anchorage for lunch and then Anchorage to Seward to the ship.

So it doesn't look like we will have much time in Denali.

Thanks for the info.

Anne Maria

We are only doing the 3 day land tour. We fly into Anchorage and stay overnight, then it's off to Denali. It says when we get to Denali we have the Dinner Theater. Then the next morning we go into the park for the "Natural History Tour". After that there is supposedly an inclusive lunch and then it's off to Talkeetna. We will be in Talkeetna by the late afternoon because there is an option for a 4:30 PM McKinley Flight and Landing Tour. Then the next day it's from Talkeetna to Anchorage for lunch and then Anchorage to Seward to the ship.

So it doesn't look like we will have much time in Denali.

Thanks for the info.

Anne Maria

Yes a great deal of your trip is in transit. For ballpark times- 6 hours Anchorage/Denali Park via bus, Denali Park/Talkeetna 3+ hours, Natural History tour 3 hours. Talkeetna/Anchorage 2+ hours, Anchorage/Seward 3 hours. Make the most of it and next time consider a tour of 7 days. :) The flightseeing out of Talkeetna is an excellent idea if McKinley is a priority. Have a great trip!!!

Yes a great deal of your trip is in transit. For ballpark times- 6 hours Anchorage/Denali Park via bus, Denali Park/Talkeetna 3+ hours, Natural History tour 3 hours. Talkeetna/Anchorage 2+ hours, Anchorage/Seward 3 hours. Make the most of it and next time consider a tour of 7 days. :) The flightseeing out of Talkeetna is an excellent idea if McKinley is a priority. Have a great trip!!!

We took the Over the Summit flight on our free day in Talkeetna and it was fantastic. It sounds like your option is the one of the glacier landing tours. Depending on weather, it might be your only chance to get a look at McKinley. If logistics and budget allow, I definitely recommend it!

Mike and Budget Queen,

Yes, we are definitely doing the McKinley Flight and Landing in Talkeetna. It will be our most expensive excursion. But feel it's worth it.

Thanks for all your help. I guess I didn't realize that we'd be in transit so much. I wish I had either come to these boards SOONER or had a better Travel Agent. Oh well, there's always next time.

At least we will get to see Alaska and I'm sure we will have a terrific time.

Thanks again.

Anne Maria

You may want to consider using a http://www.toursaver.com coupon for your McKinley flight? There is a big secondary market for used books.

Enjoy your trip. For information only, even though cruisetours are marketed as "everything" taken care of, always be fully informed on what you are purchasing. The brochures just have way too much not disclosed and these boards like it or not, often are the place where people find out all the factual information. You just aren't going to find it out from a TA or reading the descriptions. So clearly- the more you know the better. :) Enjoy Alaska!

Archived