Review • Sony NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8

pierces

After selling my A700 DSLR, I put the money towards shrinking the travel kit. I am a fan of image quality and found a way to keep DSLR quality and travel without 35 lbs of gear. (OK, Alaska will still get the heavy equipment...)

The Sony NEX-7 was just what I was looking for. Better images than all but a few DSLRs and packed with potential. It is a whole lot of camera in a tiny package.

The Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN lens that I ordered with it is my bargain of the year so far. Stellar performance in a sub-$200 lens is enough to make anyone smile and believe me, I'm grinning big over this one!

The review is here: http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/NEX7.htm

Dave

Is this camera a peer of the Nikon J1/N1?

Nikon' J1 is an entry level camera like the NEX C3. While I've never seen specs on the N1, The V1 would be a bit closer since it has a viewfinder. While both are interchangeable lens compacts and about the same size, the NEX-7 has a full-APS-C sensor (Sony version of the 24MP unit in the D3200) with about 3x the area of the CX sensor. The NEX-7 is more of an enthusiast camera with extensive mechanical control over the camera functions whereas the J1/V1 cameras are more like the NEX-3/5 cameras and geared towards the P&S upgrader with menu diving needed to get at most non-auto functions.

Here's a DxOMark comparison of the sensor performance to illustrate why I bought the NEX-7 and why they are hard to find in stock :): http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/745%7C0/(brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/736%7C0/(brand2)/Sony/(appareil3)/640%7C0/(brand3)/Leica

Dave

As mentioned, the Nikon 1 (One) series cameras are similar, in that they are 'interchangeable lens mirrorless camera systems', but are a bit different overall in that they use a smaller sensor (larger than most any compact camera, but smaller than either Micro 4:3 or APS-C sensors used in DSLRs). All of the Sony NEX cameras use APS-C sensors, the same as in most DSLRs, all Olympus and Panasonic interchangeable lens system cameras use Micro 4:3 sensors which are a bit smaller, and the Nikon 1 uses a new 1 inch sensor size.

The closest cousin to the Nikon for sensor size would actually be the newly announced Sony RX100, which is the only other camera using this new 1 inch sensor size...though the Sony model has a built-in, non-interchangeable lens.

As mentioned, some of the compact system cameras on the entry level side are more simplified for beginner users, with less controls and add-on options...Nikon mostly targeted that functionality on their 1 series cameras. Both Sony's NEX system and Olympus' Pen system offer lower end entry models, and higher end enthusiast models - the NEX7 is Sony's higher-end enthusiast model, the NEX-5N is the in-between model, and the NEX-C3 is the bottom model.

Dave

Might have a deal on the Sony LA-EA2 for you.

Have decided, at the age of 70, to sell my gear a buy all-in-one zoom.

Will let you know

but first must sell

NEX-7, with extras

Sony 35mm 1.8

Sony 16-50mm 2.8

Tamron 70-300mm for Sony

GARIZ Genuine Leather NEX-7 Half Case black

Really Right Stuff L-Plate, Model BNEX5N-L

LA-EA2

Tom

Dave

Might have a deal on the Sony LA-EA2 for you.

Have decided, at the age of 70, to sell my gear a buy all-in-one zoom.

Will let you know

but first must sell

NEX-7, with extras

Sony 35mm 1.8

Sony 16-50mm 2.8

Tamron 70-300mm for Sony

GARIZ Genuine Leather NEX-7 Half Case black

Really Right Stuff L-Plate, Model BNEX5N-L

LA-EA2

Tom

Since what you are suggesting is technically a no-no on this board, you should click the banner with the link to my travel galleries and use the mail link on the menu page to further discuss that which must not be discussed here. ;)

Dav

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived