Jade - Waiters Going Ashore in uniform

We arrived at Santorini (Greek Islands) on the Jade a couple of weeks ago and transfer was by tender. When we caught the return tender to the ship, we noticed several waiters arriving ashore dressed in their gold and purple uniforms.

In view of the fact that these guys are serving open food in restaurants, I'm surprised that NCL permit this. Of course they may have finished their shift and the uniform be destined for the wash on return to ship, but it does bring into question whether this is the policy.

I doubt that what you suspect is untrue!They use a lot of staff and more so for Santorini to man the pier to hand out water and cold towels and as well to asist those in wheelchairs or people over heated.

They are NOT allowed to leave the ship in uniform if not working and its strictly enforced so I think your reading more into the issue than needed.

We just completed a b2b on 6/2

I often seen crew ship workers around port wearing there name tag.. Who knows why they was wearing there uniforms But what ship crew does on there off time is there business but like a poster said above they were prolly going to shore for official business like bringing supplies back to the ship.. working the welcome back tent.. the crew wears many hats and they deserve a big thank you

Most crew are assigned multiple duties. So just because they were wearing this for one assignment, doesn't mean they were wearing the exact same thing for cooking or serving. When cooking I'm sure they wear aprons, hats/hairnets, and gloves when on duty, and comply with appropriate sanitary practices.

Personally, I'm more concerned with passengers who refuse to wash their hands, stay in their cabin when sick, eat in the buffet line, and use their fingers when they should use serving implements. The crew is trained. The other passengers, well, not so much.

It is reasonable to "assume" that these crew members are going onshore "working" on the job or performing related official duties assigned to them, it really doesn't matter whether they are walking down/up the gangways or riding the tender boats. If they are in whatever uniform & wearing their NCL name tags/badges - it's probably part of their rotating duties as NCL, like other lines, should have policies & procedures on what crew members can and cannot wear - on & off-duty, on & off the ship, etc.

When we're sailing the POA, crew members were going on shore to work at the Luau - taking chartered buses and returning later that evening - we recognized our dining room waiter as he said "hi" to us as we're returning from our own tour.

On the other hand, we've first hand witnessed off-duty, non-uniformed NCL crew members onshore dining at their own, jumping out of their chair to save a stranger, ship passenger from a different cruise line who happend to be eating in the same restaurant like the rest of us, and saved her from near choking.

They worked long hours and it's not our typical 40 hours work week + overtime, and, they sometimes earned time off and can get off the ship, and, are to report back earlier than us for sailing - if they are in rush to do whatever on land, uniformed & badge/ID card going along, what's the big deal, so be it - perhaps it's for a quick phone call via calling card to reach their dearest one back at home ... :D ;)

Archived