Mount Roberts Tramway

lucy2222

She means if you can't see the top. :) It's foggy a lot in Juneau, so you won't be able to see down if you can't see up.

I think I'll still try it just for the tram ride, if I can get my courage up.

Oh good grief- yes to the above correction- so sorry for no proof reading on my part. :)

I've read that this is only a 6 minute ride to the top? What is there to do once you reach the top? How long should we plan for this? An hour, or more?

Amanda:D

I loved the great views. There are hiking trails, but we have not had great luck in May since many were still covered with snow. Unlimited trips for one price, but I have not found the need to go up twice in one port visit.

That afternoon our decision was to go up the mountain (right next to where the ship was docked). It was about 2000 feet to the top, so we took Mt. Roberts Tramway to the top. There was a 1.5-mile trail that had excellent views. The trail started from the where the tram let us out. We stopped frequently on the trail, not from exhaustion, but from exhilaration (from the views). We saw bald eagles soaring. I had never seen an eagle soar until that day. It was incredible. They appeared to soar and glide, forth and back, effortlessly. I would guess their wingspans were 4-6 feet. There were many of them. At the same time, as it was such a clear day, just below the eagles soaring, numerous floatplanes were landing in Gastineau Channel. I do not know the numbers, but there are many float planes in Alaska. Especially in Juneau as one can only get there by either sea or air. Juneau is the only state capital in the USA that you cannot drive to. As we walked higher, the snow got closer. Finally we were in the snow (June 24th).

We continued around to the Alpine Loop Trail. At every turn we were just spoiled with more great views. As we neared the tram, we noticed two bald eagles sitting in a tree not far away. Once again, it was another photo op.

When my DH and I went the first time, I bought one ticket to "check it out". If "good", DH would buy and join, if "bad" we saved one ticket and would move on, if "OK" we were considering having him use "my ticket". On the way up and up top, I met the nicest employees and thought, "why would we steal from our gracious hosts"? So we bought a 2nd ticket and both enjoyed a wonderful time. The eagles were soaring right over the cable car. Aaaahhhh, only two weeks to go .......

Archived